GDT: Game 60: Arizona at Ottawa | 5:30 PM AZ Time | Intimidate with SPEED

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Kessel has played with everyone on the team in all situations (and force fed PP time) and has done nothing with it. You don't seem willing to acknowledge that he's a complete train wreck defensively which is why he cannot play vs the top competition and defenders. He hasn't earned a higher spot AND the opportunity cost is simply too great. That's how you end up spending most of the year on the 3rd line despite your coach being your biggest fanboy.

Old arguments don't die hard they are still alive! Apparently. I just want to move the f*** on man. I have better things to do like sleep

Kessel is awful on the point on the PP. You saw it just now when he let the puck go through his legs. Why Kessel plays the point in these situations I have no idea (has he ever played the point before in the NHL? he didn't in Pitt, not sure about Toronto). Again though bad coaching

Defensively he's a winger, winger's responsibility is to make sure the D is covered in the D-zone. That's the main responsibility defensively for ALL wingers. Watching the games I'd actually argue he's better defensively than both Schmaltz and Keller, but who cares. We didn't sign any of those guys to be defensive forwards.

Agree Kessel hasn't earned a higher spot but I don't think that's all that relevant to be completely honest. We badly need secondary scoring and a guy who was basically a point a game player before coming here isn't the worst place to start looking for it

So... the "paid too much" line isn't the worst idea I guess. Except all of them are paid waaaay too much for what they're bringing offensively atm. They're not bringing the offense rn that's what I'm worried about (again, Keller / Schmaltz more than Kessel because we have them long term)

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
  • 3 wins in last 15 games
  • It's now been a month since the Coyotes scored more than 3 goals in a game
  • Tocchet is absolutely obsessed with Kessel
  • Knowing this teams record with injuries, Kuemper is probably done for the season
  • Keller is dead
  • OEL is dead
  • I wish I was dead

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Gheez the western conference is just so bad other than a couple teams and we still stink. We have no business being in a wild card spot. Sorry, I just have no love for this team. No heart, no grit...I find it hard to be a fan this year, hate teams like this.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Old arguments don't die hard they are still alive! Apparently. I just want to move the f*** on man. I have better things to do like sleep

Kessel is awful on the point on the PP. You saw it just now when he let the puck go through his legs. Why Kessel plays the point in these situations I have no idea (has he ever played the point before in the NHL? he didn't in Pitt, not sure about Toronto). Again though bad coaching

Defensively he's a winger, winger's responsibility is to make sure the D is covered in the D-zone. That's the main responsibility defensively for ALL wingers. Watching the games I'd actually argue he's better defensively than both Schmaltz and Keller, but who cares. We didn't sign any of those guys to be defensive forwards.

Agree Kessel hasn't earned a higher spot but I don't think that's all that relevant to be completely honest. We badly need secondary scoring and a guy who was basically a point a game player before coming here isn't the worst place to start looking for it

So... the "paid too much" line isn't the worst idea I guess. Except all of them are paid waaaay too much for what they're bringing offensively atm. They're not bringing the offense rn that's what I'm worried about (again, Keller / Schmaltz more than Kessel because we have them long term)
Dog, I’ll be honest with you. If you’re trying to defend Kessel in any way shape or form, you’re delusional. Phil Kessel is a liability on the ice in all three zones. From what he was in Pittsburgh to what he has done here is an absolute albatross.

For anyone to defend Kessel, it’s just ignorance. The guy f***ing sucks.

Reactions: Luckylarry

technoviking

Whatever's Clever
Aug 14, 2013
Scottsdale
Gheez the western conference is just so bad other than a couple teams and we still stink. We have no business being in a wild card spot. Sorry, I just have no love for this team. No heart, no grit...I find it hard to be a fan this year, hate teams like this.
I agree, the worst part is the body language and just the lack of anything resembling physicality during the games.

Reactions: _Del_

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's fitting that Tampa - the team that destroyed the Coyotes and started this slide - is the last opponent before the TDL.

Upside is that Saturday Ovy might score 700 so this squad can be immortalized just like other Coyotes teams.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
This is really hard to believe but it's there, plain as day, and nobody thinks anything is wrong due to loser points.

Shhhh, you have to drink the Kool-Aid and pretend nothing is wrong. Craig Morgan drinks that shit for breakfast.

Reactions: Luckylarry

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Dog, I’ll be honest with you. If you’re trying to defend Kessel in any way shape or form, you’re delusional. Phil Kessel is a liability on the ice in all three zones. From what he was in Pittsburgh to what he has done here is an absolute albatross.

For anyone to defend Kessel, it’s just ignorance. The guy ****ing sucks.

Nah... I'm not really trying to defend Kessel. Well, maybe I am a little bit. Mostly I'm attacking Tocchet.

Re: Kessel, I'm not disagreeing he's been bad... but it's mostly because Tocchet has really f****d his usage. Watching all the home games until Feb 4, Kessel's awful at keeping the puck inside the blue line and also a turnover machine, mostly because his linemates were never open (vast majority was Crouse and Step / Soda who you can't expect to get open with top 4 NHL defenders). He also never really adjusted to the point on the PP... that said I don't know if he's ever played point on the PP before, he certainly never did in Pitt. Does anyone actually know?

Anyway last few games I've got what I wanted, namely Kessel with two guys who can supposedly play a skill game in Keller and Schmaltz. Except now they all stink together (that's probably bad coaching too) it's not just Kessel.

Anyway in my view the coaches job is to get the best players playing like the best players. As everyone has said, except for a few folks most of our players are not playing very well. And that's on the coaching more than anyone else.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Nah... I'm not really trying to defend Kessel. Well, maybe I am a little bit. Mostly I'm attacking Tocchet.

Re: Kessel, I'm not disagreeing he's been bad... but it's mostly because Tocchet has really f****d his usage. Watching all the home games until Feb 4, Kessel's awful at keeping the puck in play and also a turnover machine, mostly because his linemates were never open (vast majority was Crouse and Step / Soda who you can't expect to get open with top 4 NHL defenders). He also never really adjusted to the point on the PP... that said I don't know if he's ever played point on the PP before, he certainly never did in Pitt. Does anyone actually know?

Anyway last few games I've got what I wanted, namely Kessel with two guys who can supposedly play a skill game in Keller and Schmaltz. Except now they all stink together (maybe that's bad coaching too, who knows) and it's not like any of them have done anything there either.

Anyway in my view the coaches job is to get the best players playing like the best players. As everyone has said, except for a few folks most of our players are not playing very well. And that's on the coaching more than anyone else.
Agreed. I also agree the whole coaching staff needs to wiped clean.

Reactions: Surfshop

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Re: Kessel, I'm not disagreeing he's been bad... but it's mostly because Tocchet has really f****d his usage. Watching all the home games until Feb 4, Kessel's awful at keeping the puck in play and also a turnover machine, mostly because his linemates were never open (vast majority was Crouse and Step / Soda who you can't expect to get open with top 4 NHL defenders). He also never really adjusted to the point on the PP... that said I don't know if he's ever played point on the PP before, he certainly never did in Pitt. Does anyone actually know?

Phil Kessel turns the puck over not because he makes poor decisions and is weak on the puck, but because his linemates aren't open. The Jameis Winston defense.

*chef kiss*

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
We now have 3 wins in our last 15 games.

dcc6Gsm_d.jpg

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Phil Kessel turns the puck over not because he makes poor decisions and is weak on the puck, but because his linemates aren't open. The Jameis Winston defense.

*chef kiss*

Sorry I don't follow football... and right now I haven't been cooking much either.

But yeah, Kessel's has had a down year because... 1) his ES linemates haven't been able to get open against top 4 NHL defensemen and 2) he is awful on the point on the power play. Both of these are easily fixed with better coaching.

Put this a different way. If any RW in the league (let's say Patrick Kane) were stuck to Crouse and either Step / Soda at ES how much of a hit would they take production-wise? Re: Patrick Kane, my guess is 60-70 points if he were next to Soda and Crouse -- maybe 20-25 goals and 35-45 assists? That is a significant drop from the 99 points Patrick Kane is on pace for this year. Patrick Kane Stats and News

To be clear:
I am not saying that Kessel is the 2nd coming of Patrick Kane. I am saying a) we are missing a better center for everyone on this team to play with (HAYTON WE NEED YOU) and b) until recently Tocchet thought Kessel was able to drive a line the same way Hall (and Patrick Kane) can, so RT kept him with defensive players in hopes there would be consistent offense from his 3rd line (we all saw how that turned out)

The big point? Linemates matter when it comes to production / performance. We can disagree. I'm going to sleep

EDIT: The $20m line of Keller / Kessel / Schmaltz has been bad these past few games. That's either on coaching or the GM or both (you need your most well-paid players to be your best players). Personally think that's a mix of both as well but you can argue any number of things

Last edited:

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Didn't watch, so I don't really belong in a GDT. Here's what's going to happen. The team will win just enough games to make management think they have a shot at the playoffs. They won't move Hall at the trade deadline, thereby recouping zero assets that they lost. Then Hall won't sign here when they don't make the playoffs. At least he was fun to watch here for a while.

Reactions: Jakey53

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yeesh......... (and I'm referring to how we played.)

Kings game was worse though.... because we had a lead and dumped it. This one we dumped it out of the box. It ends up being a close second.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
b) until recently Tocchet thought Kessel was able to drive a line the same way Hall (and Patrick Kane) can, so RT kept him with defensive players in hopes there would be consistent offense from his 3rd line (we all saw how that turned out)

Tocchet keeps him on the 3rd line because he cannot handle better competition and better defenders at ES. He hasn't contributed to a line when moved up consistently. This is why he was quickly shuffled out of the top 6 to start the year, given a look with Hall, and then moved back down. It has nothing to do with 'spreading the offense around'. It's more about containing the contagion that is Phil Kessel at ES by putting him with the least important players. Moving up Phil is not a net gain.

Kessel is still receiving sheltered zone starts at ES but does nothing with it.

He's a waste of cap and TOI. His P/60 is now below 1 and still only ahead of Richardson and Fischer, guys who start in the defensive zone about 75% of the time.

You keep creating a narrative where Phil is not the one responsible for his poor play. No, it's always due to something else, despite the fact they've tried Phil in basically every line/situation possible.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad