Post-Game Talk: Game 6: Preds vs Panthers | 7:00 PM CST

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
We are winning, we are cycling the puck better, we are forechecking much better, we've tipped the balance on shots on goal and have actually outshot the opponent 4 out of 6 games. We just need to finish. So I'm not going to agree with the "we look bad" comments.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Since when have we been able to finish? That has and will continue to be our Achilles heel. Teams can let us take a ton of shots because so few will actually go in and there isn't anyone who can actually corral a puck and put it in on a rebound.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
We are winning, we are cycling the puck better, we are forechecking much better, we've tipped the balance on shots on goal and have actually outshot the opponent 4 out of 6 games. We just need to finish. So I'm not going to agree with the "we look bad" comments.

We're still taking too many unscreened perimeter shots against a squared goalie without anyone down low for rebounds. Fisher's goal last night was one of the few times all season we got a player loose in the slot, hit him with a good pass, and had an open look. Hornqvist's pipe ringer was another good look with a shot to a small opening.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I got home from work at 1 AM, scanned the first two periods on GCL then watched the third as though it were live. Smith had his best game since his rookie year; fantastic not just on offense, but he was also forechecking really well for him. Fisher and Hornqvist stepped up and provided some great plays and leadership as well; good for them. I'm surprised Weber nearly going hulk-Zetterberg on Huberdeau didn't even get mentioned here haha; man he was pissed.

FLA has a lot of good things going for them on offense; I wouldn't be too down if I was a Pants fan. Huberdeau and Barkov were both extremely impressive; I liked Bjugstad a lot as well and Goc was actually killing us in the faceoff circle relative to how we've done thus far this season.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009

For those who say this team is the same old song, this stat alone should tell you otherwise. With the much criticized 4th line minutes, the Preds are a significantly better puck possession team. IIRC, we typically would outshoot our opponents one out every eight to ten games. I know they are mostly perimeter shots, but it keeps the puck in the offensive zone. More importantly, it keeps pressure off of our young blueline.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
For those who say this team is the same old song, this stat alone should tell you otherwise. With the much criticized 4th line minutes, the Preds are a significantly better puck possession team. IIRC, we typically would outshoot our opponents one out every eight to ten games. I know they are mostly perimeter shots, but it keeps the puck in the offensive zone. More importantly, it keeps pressure off of our young blueline.

Did a little research:

Last year, we outshot the opposition in 19 out of 48 games

We averaged 25.9 shots for/ 27.8 shots against

This year, we have outshot the opposition in 4 out of 6 games

We are averaging 29.6 shots for/ 27.5 shots against

Of course, it is way too early and too small of a sample size to draw any real conclusions, but it is an encouraging start

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Re: Bartley...........

Remember he looked good on a bad, injury riddled team. We all knew he wasn't second pair material. We all knew he was a 6-7 d-man, and looks every bit the part of it. There is nothing wrong with that. Bank on him making 2-3 mistakes that stick out a game. Bank on him making a few good plays as well. Remember how thrilled this board was when he chose us as a Euro free agent. Kid had decent hands, could make a good first pass, and could hold his own. I don't think any of that has changed, it is just his skill level is a 6-7 dman. Can't expect the kid to play lights out and like a top dman in the league.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
With Hendricks, Gaustad, and Nystrom the new last minute forwards, Legwand is not on the ice to bury the biscuit in the basket...

conspiracy theorists would say this is to keep Leggys goal total for this year from being inflated with ENG's... he is up for a contract after all

We are winning yes. But we still don't look good in the process of doing so.

getting points even when you arent playing well is a key to making the playoffs

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
I'm trying to keep my expectations in check, but Jones continues to impress the hell out of me. This young kid playing his off side on the top line getting 20+ mins a night. And he just was only a +2 with a point last night ;).

The play where he corralled the puck on open ice and left that FLA player searching for his ankles was so good. Broken record I know, and he will have his struggles, but this kid is going to be special.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
I'm trying to keep my expectations in check, but Jones continues to impress the hell out of me. This young kid playing his off side on the top line getting 20+ mins a night. And he just was only a +2 with a point last night ;).

The play where he corralled the puck on open ice and left that FLA player searching for his ankles was so good. Broken record I know, and he will have his struggles, but this kid is going to be special.

I keep thinking Shop-vac It's like he has some sort of suction device on the end of his stick -- he's so fast at coraling the puck and keeping it away from the opposition.

Last edited:

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Did a little research:

Last year, we outshot the opposition in 19 out of 48 games

We averaged 25.9 shots for/ 27.8 shots against

This year, we have outshot the opposition in 4 out of 6 games

We are averaging 29.6 shots for/ 27.5 shots against

Of course, it is way too early and too small of a sample size to draw any real conclusions, but it is an encouraging start

So an improvement from 40% to 66%, admitting the small sample size. Would the improvement be so stark if our over-priced 4th line grinders weren't getting a lot of ice time?

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
On my way into the Bridge last night I was pulled onto the gold carpet walk for the first time (3rd game this season). As I'm walking to the left of the carpet I feel someone tug on my sleeve. I look up and it's Tom Cigarran and he says come on over and walk down the carpet. Once I saw who it was I couldn't really decline and not look like a jerk. They had Pete Weber at the front along with the former ice girls giving fist bumps and low fives as you walk through. Crispy was at the end handing out the same. I have to say it put a smile on my face as I was going through.

After walking through I thought to myself, why was Pete and Terry there so close to the puck dropping? Then I realized they wouldn't be on TV that night so I guess they had the time.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Re: Bartley...........

Remember he looked good on a bad, injury riddled team. We all knew he wasn't second pair material. We all knew he was a 6-7 d-man, and looks every bit the part of it. There is nothing wrong with that. Bank on him making 2-3 mistakes that stick out a game. Bank on him making a few good plays as well. Remember how thrilled this board was when he chose us as a Euro free agent. Kid had decent hands, could make a good first pass, and could hold his own. I don't think any of that has changed, it is just his skill level is a 6-7 dman. Can't expect the kid to play lights out and like a top dman in the league.

Bingo..you said it.

If he was a mistake free hockey player, playing heavy unprotected minutes...well he wouldn't be a league minimum bottom line defenseman. Can't have a cheap cake and expect to impress the dinner guests too.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Smith has been playing well with Cullen I'm glad it finally showed on the board last night.

I'll be glad when Josi gets back and everyone is healthy to see what we got.

I would also rotate Clune and Hendricks as scratches. Not sure where Spaling fits in these days..
I hope the find someone to gel with FF like Cullen has with Smith.
Stalberg seems to be adjusting but you can tell the guy knows how to get open and be in position. He was wide open infront of the net again last night got the pass this time but the goalie made a great save...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->