Game 6: Preds vs. Kings 2-1 Shootout Loss

TimbeS

Jan 24, 2013
Finland
Well that was a boring game. Up until the last few minutes of the 3rd that was a sleeper...

I'm done with this Clifford on the Richards line gig... Okay he had his good games, he got his award, now put him back where he belongs. Gagne needs to be on that line! We're struggling to score and we need offensive! What we don't need is grinders on the top lines and offensive talented players (ie: Penner) sitting in the press box!

Clifford needs to move down. Gagne should on the Richards/Carter line, King needs to sit and Penner needs to be in the game.

Starting to get frustrated with Sutter's coaching decisions. Yeah, yeah I know he won us the cup! But to use Sutter's saying... It's not about what you did in the past or what you can do. It's about what your doing right now.

This. Bring on the philly line

KingKopitar11*

I want talent not a grinder. We need shots and he can give us that and king can't. Simple as that. Nolan is doing great but king I don't know why he's playing bad. Anyways for us to get scoring more think we bring up some shooters and scratch or send down some grinders or trade Richardson open space.

I think we have a talented group and the offensive system we play is too safe and suited for an average skilled team. If San Jose can play like that and they are slow than we are then we sure can play their style. We have more talent better goaltending and D. Even though it'd make us let goals in a bit more but we'd be killing in goals if learned to drive the lane and not stick to the boards. Our players are better than that. It sucks seeing them on the wall all the time when they have enough caliber to skate through the middle.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Bad PP, can't score more than 2 goals a game, it's starting to look like last year. They ended up winning the Cup last year.

An interesting situation. Until the Kings don't make the playoffs, or get knocked out of the playoffs because they can't score, it's difficult to know how to react to the Kings uneven play so far.

Seems like you have to let it play out, and see what happens. Are the Kings are playoff built team, that will struggle in the regular season? Were they maybe just the hottest team in a long time in the playoffs last year? Are they a top team still trying to find their game? Do they not have enough talent?

It might just take a season to see what this team really is.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
And Stoll needs to ****ing learn a new move in shootouts. Same ol wrist shot that goalies have figured out time and time again. Goalies don't need the coach showing his moves on the iPad. Too predictable. He's got a lot more moves when it comes to picking up chicks, FFS.

Give Stoll a break with all those hot women he dates I'm surprised he has the strength to play a game.
Stoll not that talented+hot women= zero production.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
My takeaway from this game is that we still need better play from our centers. None of them look good.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Quick obviously deserved better.

Really? I thought he was off last night. When was the last time, or even the first time, that Quick allowed 5 goals in a shoot-out? The dude looked distracted.

EDIT: It was actually FOUR goals, but who's counting? It seemed like five. Either way, Quick's better than a 50% goalie during shoot-outs ......normally.....

Winger23

May 3, 2007
It's pretty bad when the only guy I think can score when he gets the puck is carter. It's not the lack of scoring that has me concerned its the lack of scoring chances. When was the last time the kings had a true 2 on 1?

Model62

Jul 14, 2012
Kopitar was a step behind last night after playing up to pace the last couple and Williams appears to be regressing in the "risky pass to the middle of the ice" department. Geesh.

Quick is not yet up to form. When his game is off he overplays first moves and shots wide, which puts him out of position and unable to control rebounds. He's gotten a few breaks with waved off goals and teammates clearing ugly rebounds (or making saves). The book on him in the shoot out (or at least the one the Preds read) must have a few pages about how left hand shots can beat him with a deke to the forehand, then a backhand shot high to Quick's glove side, 'cause that's where they all wound up (and three of 'em wound up in the back of the net).

Carter has been a surprise. I guess the foot thing explains his lack of pace last season. He's moving around much better.

Nashville sure blocked a lot of shots. Most of the game was played on the Preds' side of the rink, so that's a plus. Just need to find some finish (some things never change).

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
100 percent agree.

Kopitar has looked pretty bad last two games.

He looks slow and dopey. I don't know how much the knee brace is affecting him but jeez.

Richards finally showed a pulse, but he still didn't have much impact on the game other than the SO goal.

And Stoll is Stoll. The guy doesn't have a creative bone in his body. When was the last time he created a scoring chance or set someone up?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Quick is not yet up to form. When his game is off he overplays first moves and shots wide, which puts him out of position and unable to control rebounds. He's gotten a few breaks with waved off goals and teammates clearing ugly rebounds (or making saves).

I would argue that this has been the case even dating back to the playoffs last year. He started over playing things, and has been able to compensate through sheer will, athleticism, and a bit of puck luck. Sooner or later though, it's going to catch up to him.

I continue to be amazed that a team with this much talent can't score goals. Carter is the only guy in the top 6 that came ready to play. I never thought I would have said that... I wouldn't be surprised to see Penner in for King next game either.

Came here to say that... would like to see that happen.

My takeaway from this game is that we still need better play from our centers. None of them look good.

And this too..

The one positive I've seen is Muzzin seems to be getting better every game. I thought he played fairly well last night although there wasn't a whole lot going on. We're still missing Brown hitting and Richards doing anything at all. I don't blame Quick for losing the slam dunk contest either. The Kings had what... 8 shooters? Two goals? There shouldn't have been a shootout in the first place.

As far as Stoll goes, I remember sometime during the third, the Kings were controlling play in the Predators zone for a while and the puck just came out of the zone and the defender threw it back in. Stoll looks at the linesman, sees his hand up and still touches the puck which then turns into a face off in the Kings zone. I seriously put my hand in my face and said that was a bone head move. I look up and of course it is Stoll. I don't have the vitriol that some people seem to have with this guy but he does make some really stupid decisions.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Carter has been a surprise. I guess the foot thing explains his lack of pace last season. He's moving around much better

He said in an interview a little while ago that he had a bunch of frustrating injuries last year. He mentioned wanting to 'pay back Dean for the trust he showed bringing me here' and that he was working out a lot more than he had done in past years because (on the new season) he was 'hungry for it'. ANd I think that's what we've seen so far, a very commited player in all 3 zones.
He also said he's never been happier and being reunited with Richards was a large part o f that; that he signed that long term deal in Philly so he could play his career with Richards.
Anyway, a happy and motivated JC is a good thing. I really think he could put up 25 goals this year.

Kings PP- I know Sutter is trying to jump start what appears to be a dead engine but I don't like using the same lines on the PP. I think they need PP units , like maybe using Carter with Brown and Kopi last night. OR (I thihnk Penner will be in on Sat on the 3rd line) Having a 2nd unit with Gagne Richards and Penner.

I watch a lot of hockey, 2 games a night and parts of others. I see how other teams are scoring PP goals and can't figure out why the Kings don't realize that staying st ationary isn't getting it done. ALl that does is allow the D to set up and you ahve no lane. They need to pratice the 5 unit moving around to keep the D guessing.

Why was Sutter allowed 2 Timeouts last night? (Or do you get another on in OT)

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
He looks slow and dopey. I don't know how much the knee brace is affecting him but jeez.

Normal mid-season form. He was playing in Europe, and this is the general time of year that he goes into hibernation.

And Stoll is Stoll. The guy doesn't have a creative bone in his body. When was the last time he created a scoring chance or set someone up?

He has been very unproductive, for a while now. To be somewhat fair though, he hasn't had much in the way of wingers in a while either. Stoll isn't going to carry a line.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Though training camps lasted less than a week, giving coaches little time to get organized, power-play success around the NHL in the early going is up markedly from last season's 17.3-percent rate. Through the end of January (100 games), teams are scoring on 20.1-percent of their power plays, a level not seen during a full season since 1989-90.

:facepalm:

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
OH.. okay. So, out of everything you decide to bring up his "bad" stats against the SO.. but you aren't blaming him? RIGHTO. I just want to make sure you are pointing fingers at the right people.

Quick was involved in the last play of the game. There was 30 comments on his shootout performance afterwards. I made plenty of comments on the play of Kopitar and friends. I'm always beaten up here for being too cup half full. It was just a statistical analysis.

bobafettish*

fire the head coach, make a big trade and then threaten to trade brown. win another stanley cup.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Came here to say that... would like to see that happen.

As far as Stoll goes, I remember sometime during the third, the Kings were controlling play in the Predators zone for a while and the puck just came out of the zone and the defender threw it back in. Stoll looks at the linesman, sees his hand up and still touches the puck which then turns into a face off in the Kings zone. I seriously put my hand in my face and said that was a bone head move. I look up and of course it is Stoll. I don't have the vitriol that some people seem to have with this guy but he does make some really stupid decisions.

that one left me scratching my head. he knew it was either offside, or a hand pass based on the signal. so why the hell do you touch it next Jarrett?

did the team have some kind of all night dinner-party the night before? i swear most of them looked like they were hungover. it couldn't have been the rookie dinner, because teams do that on the road.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Quick wasn't as bad in the shootout as he is being made out to be.

First goal against was the fake shot, backhand, which was put into the roof of the net. Quick played it right and was there to make the save, but not much you can do when its a perfect shot like that

2nd goal deflects off his stick and finds a puck sized hole between his legs to creep in. Again he played it right just got unlucky

He only truely got beat on the last 2 shots, and was about an inch from saving either 1. 1 hits him and goes in, the other finds a gap between his legs and stick that was about the size of 3 pucks

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009

haha ye i remember that, it wasn't even close to be kept in either. Voynov came off the bench and the puck was about 1/3rd of the way between the blue line and centre ice when he picked it up and fired it back in

This team just wouldnt be so fun to watch without Stoll at least

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
im starting to worry about Kopi. i mean, he played overseas for a while before coming back here so he should be in game shape already...right? him and richards have been extremely underwhelming thus far :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->