Post-Game Talk: Game 6: Loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I’ve yet to see 92 skate with effort since 16/17. He just floats and relies on his height and reach too heavily.
I'm actually not gonna give Joey too much crap for this season. Lots of people don't want to acknowledge it but he played his butt off when all of those injuries were going on. Now the playoffs he didn't step it up this year, but how much did that have to do with his linemates not being worth a damn we don't know either.

Reactions: bdub24

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
I'm actually not gonna give Joey too much crap for this season. Lots of people don't want to acknowledge it but he played his butt off when all of those injuries were going on. Now the playoffs he didn't step it up this year, but how much did that have to do with his linemates not being worth a damn we don't know either.

Yeah, he had 64 pts on a season where both Forsberg and Arvidsson lost around 20 games each. Could've easily hit 70-75 pts if they were healthy all season.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
If Laviolette stays behind the bench for next season, the team needs to practice quick breakouts. The continuous pressure by Stars forwards pretty much killed our play for very long periods of time. It was really frustrating to watch how we were unable to exit the d-zone and when we eventually did, everyone was so gassed out they went for a line change so the next line could repeat the same.

With all the chances both teams had, this last game could have seen closer to 10 goals combined. Both Bishop and Rinne were awesome.

Four decent to good games where we had a chance to win. Two horrible blowouts. The better team won.

I’ve yet to see 92 skate with effort since 16/17. He just floats and relies on his height and reach too heavily.
I strongly disagree. I've seen plenty of good and high effort defensive plays from him. I didn't catch as many games as I have in the past two years, but for what I saw, he was one of the more consistent forwards this season. On both ends of the ice.

And if you're talking about skating only, then I still have to disagree. He's able to catch up to a lot of players with his lazy LOOKING skating style. Long, strong strides yada yada.

Bluebird

Feb 25, 2019
Nashville, TN
The most disappointing player for me was Forsberg. I really thought he was due for a breakout year this year. He did go through some injuries and that is noted but he was nearly invisible and sometimes awful this series.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I thought he played well in the last game anyway. Most of the team actually did, though. Just like most of them, 92 included, floated their way through the previous 5.

It was too little too late again for the team - the series was like a snapshot of a typical game summary we've seen a little too often over the past 15 months or so - the team thinks it can cruise to victory, falls behind, makes a late push - this year those late pushes failed more often than not, the year before they probably pulled a few more out of the fire. It was a good effort in the last game, it just came too late to matter.

I thought Johansen came back pretty well and played more the kind of game we need from him. If the team is truly going to activate the D and pinch frequently - which seemed like that was part of the gameplan last night - then they do need the centers coming back to cover and I thought Johansen did that pretty well on several occasions. The JoGA line did alright after that tweak too, as counterintuitive as it might have been to put both the zippy little RWs on the same line.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
This team has been so frustrating since around November. I wanted them to win, of course, but being pragmatic I could see early on that they were making too many challenges for themselves. Inaccuracy in the shots, the lack of a power play, positioning--all contributed to making what looked like a really good team on paper not so good! And they were still the division champs despite their many faults--how does THAT happen? I dunno, can't say it's one thing in particular but something is way off. This year they're following the trend, though--so many top seeds are falling. Just one of those years, I guess. I sincerely hope that every player on our team gets a new contact lens prescription and that they work on linear perspective in the off season.

Last thoughts for 18-19:

Filip must be hurt. He just couldn't get those shots like I know he can. But he tickles me with his badassery at times.
Arvidsson's wife must be pregnant. His mind wasn't here.
PK drives me nuts with his skating "ability"--those little curlicue thingies--stand up and skate, dammit, and quit wasting time.
Pekka deserves better.
Grimaldi is a treasure.
Edit: I forgot about Fabbro. He's another treasure.

We'll get 'em next season. Go Preds!

Last edited:
Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Final thoughts on the season. For the first time during this run the team has been on, I felt no disappointment/sadness with the playoff loss. Something has been wrong with the team for most of the season, and that did not change vs. Dallas. The better team won this series.

Offseason hope: Poile makes some significant coaching and player moves - a new coaching philosophy and an impact forward for starters. Offseason expectation: The team comes back almost completely intact with a change in assistant coaching.

Anyway, have a nice summer all.

Reactions: LCPreds

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
The most disappointing player for me was Forsberg. I really thought he was due for a breakout year this year. He did go through some injuries and that is noted but he was nearly invisible and sometimes awful this series.

Why aren't you more disappointed with Arvy since he was our leading scorer and didn't do a thing this series? At least Forsberg had a goal.

I am not disappointed in Forsberg's year, just beginning to think he is one of those very good but not great players. He will get you around 30 a year but he's just going to be out every year for injuries.

I like Johansen, but he needs to step it up. He is great in his role as the feeder to Arvy/Forsberg, but he needs to quit being Thornton, Jr. so much and shoot much more because he can when he wants.

And, I don't know if it means getting bigger, but this team is way too soft. Benn abused Ellis and the rest.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Why not rename the Nashville color "Triumphant Mustard" ?

Most called the original color "Baby Poop" mustard. The gold is an improvement.

That said, another Stars fan coming in peace. Few of us Stars fans believed the Preds could be handled with relative ease or that the Stars would continually be the better team the longer games went on.

The high profile Preds D looked uninspired, but as resident villain, we took great pleasure in seeing PK in most of our highlight goal replays. They did seem to keep a lot of pucks in the zone on our attempted clears.

As to your PP, I was in the stands last night, and, sorry to say, it was the most stationary PP I have ever seen, and for large stretches of the season Stars fans had similar complaints. Not sure how any NHL PP slips back into stationary mode, but most seem to for at least stretches of the season. Important to note, Stars did bring in an assistance known for his PP prowess and it did improve us from historically bad to upper third. NSH should probably keep Lavi and get a similarly experienced coach.

The bad news for NSH fans - it seems like the slow decline of your peak op to win the Cup, which most teams go through is upon you. The good news is, there is enough talent there that you should be able to rebuild on the fly rather than do a wholesale makeover.

Looking forward to the Ice Bowl next year.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Should have kept Jones then, or trade someone else imo
The only piece more valuable for getting a center (we had Mike Fisher/Calle Jarnkrok as our top 2 at the time) would have been Weber (or Josi--and trading him would have been idiotic), and there's no guarantee we get a better center than that even for him. Johansen's on the lower tier of 1st line centers, but there's zero chance we make the SCF or win the President's Trophy without him.

That aside, Seth Jones was going to be stuck as a #5 here. It is questionable he would have gotten the opportunity to become the player he currently is playing behind that top 4.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
D4zOBraXkAAsHbR.jpg

D4zb_HdXsAEdnbi.jpg:large

D4zyf6LW4AA2HK_.jpg:large

I'm bored. Usually the team that scores first wins. We've lost twice while scoring first? I think.

And maybe Lavy gave that PP answer because he knows he may have to "retire" his good friend McCarthy.

He's not ready to go down that road yet with the season ending moments ago.

We scored first in 3 of our 4 losses. Games 1, 5 and 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad