GDT: Game 6: Germany Vs USA | 1PM EST 7PM CET | USA 6 - 3 GER

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
That was the fastest German team I’ve seen at the top level.

They have some really talented players up front and Seider is just an absolute beast.

Germany had easily the top D man and arguably
the most talented forward in this game. They need to
develop another Seider and Stutzle level players
Just dont have the depth they need at this level.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Germany had easily the top D man and arguably
the most talented forward in this game. They need to
develop another Seider and Stutzle level players
Just dont have the depth they need at this level.

Exactly, the American depth and skill eventually took over but the top end talent for Germany looked really good.

I was very impressed with Bokk, Stutzel, Seider, and a couple others.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Exactly, the American depth and skill eventually took over but the top end talent for Germany looked really good.

I was very impressed with Bokk, Stutzel, Seider, and a couple others.
Peternak was very good... they are definitely a country on the come up... I didn't know much about Stutzel before this game... but he got my attention and as an Anaheim fan id love to grab Stutzel + Peternak in this up coming draft.. to add to Zegras

Reactions: snipes

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
For a guy that has played in the NHL he is
not been impressive. That turnover ranks
behind only Millers for most terrible plays
and his goal was a garbage time goal and he absolutely
was a puckhog against Canada.

by the advanced metrics he’s been one of USAs best players.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Peternak was very good... they are definitely a country on the come up... I didn't know much about Stutzel before this game... but he got my attention and as an Anaheim fan id love to grab Stutzel + Peternak in this up coming draft.. to add to Zegras

Your team is going to add a really dynamic player. It’s a fantastic draft, there will be guys picked in the 15-25 range that would be top 5-10 picks in other draft years. SJS really messed up trading their 1st in such a good draft. This draft is stacked at the forward position.

Stutzle is establishing himself with his play this year over in the DEL as a legit top 10 player prospect. He was flying out there today and looked really dynamic. Peternak flashed as well, a lot of the German players did. They were fast, heavy on the forecheck and some elite game breaking skill at the top of their lineup.

Germany should be a country that remains in the top group. Zero reason why they shouldn’t be a hockey power. Maybe not at the top with Super Power hockey nations but no reason they shouldn’t be better than the Swiss, Slovaks, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Getz2noone

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Solid game by Germany, they have some nice players.

They could not match up against the depth and skill of USA as the game went on, and started to wear down. They started to back up and be too passive defensively and couldn’t hang on

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
For not caring...you sure are complaining about it a lot. But sure. Sandelin must be an idiot...he should listen to message board fan boys.
You have a top draft pick center who has assisted on half the team's goals playing fourth line wing with very little ice time. I'm not gonna call him an idiot but he's really not making a good case for himself.

Last edited:

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
You have a top draft pick center who has assisted on half the team's goals playing fourth line wing with very little ice time. I'm not gonna call him an idiot but he's really not making a good case for himself.

Almost all of these guys are high picks so who cares there.
And again...does he get all those assists on the top line when likely facing Seider all game?
Sandelin and a few of his assistants do not believe in traditional 4th lines. They like to set up a 1A 1B 2A and 2B type lines.
They won the game and getting the favorable matchup sure worked even with lesser ice time...but message board people still complain about it...it's ridiculous.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Almost all of these guys are high picks so who cares there.
And again...does he get all those assists on the top line when likely facing Seider all game?
Sandelin and a few of his assistants do not believe in traditional 4th lines. They like to set up a 1A 1B 2A and 2B type lines.
They won the game and getting the favorable matchup sure worked even with lesser ice time...but message board people still complain about it...it's ridiculous.

Oh word? So why did Zegras play only 10 minutes? Those are fourth line minutes.

Reactions: SpartanProdigy

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Oh word? So why did Zegras play only 10 minutes? Those are fourth line minutes.
My guess is matchups that he was able to exploit in limited minutes. I'm not Sandelin though...i just know how he and his staff like to coach traditionally.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
My guess is matchups that he was able to exploit in limited minutes. I'm not Sandelin though...i just know how he and his staff like to coach traditionally.
Well let's chalk it up to "fair enough"

But I think Zegras has earned more minutes and they should at least try to give him more responsibility and see how it goes.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Probably no shock but this is easily the best German team I've seen at this event. In the early days they would not televise the first couple of games against the weak teams and pick up the tourney for the final 5 games (8 team round robin). I believe the first German team I saw on TV was on New Years day in 91...Canada won 6-2 I believe.

Zegras was outstanding....Wolf's save when the game was 3-2 was critical because if they go down 4-2 that may be curtains. Entertaining game...not a bad one in the tourney yet.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
The idea that Sandelin and staff had a plan and executed it as designed needs to be put to bed.

They absolutely put the lines in a blender by the third period. You don’t do that if you think you had it close to right at the beginning.

Reactions: SpartanProdigy

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Of course not. In a short tournament, your best players probably should log the most ice time. No need to worry about the effects of playing a lot of minutes.

Why are you going to risk injury in what should be an easy win game? Plus why wouldn't you want your not as good players getting practice with line mates so later on they are stronger and you know who works together best? And these are all star teams there is zero reason to work anyone like a dog unless you have too

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Why are you going to risk injury in what should be an easy win game? Plus why wouldn't you want your not as good players getting practice with line mates so later on they are stronger and you know who works together best? And these are all star teams there is zero reason to work anyone like a dog unless you have too

Because you need your team firing on all cylinders at the right time, and you don’t accomplish that by holding some of your best players back and then throwing them on new lines in the biggest games of the tournament.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Because you need your team firing on all cylinders at the right time, and you don’t accomplish that by holding some of your best players back and then throwing them on new lines in the biggest games of the tournament.

This wasnt the big game, it was a fine tune game.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
This wasnt the big game, it was a fine tune game.

You missed the point entirely.

You don’t want to wait until a big game to optimize your team. By the time a big game actually rolls around, in a tournament like this, you’re either ready for the game or you’re missing an opportunity to play for the gold. In a short tournament, there aren’t really second chances.

And you don’t optimize your team by playing some of your best players fewer minutes, and not playing them on lines that will maximize their potential. You want them comfortable with their role and their linemates before those big games.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
You missed the point entirely.

You don’t want to wait until a big game to optimize your team. By the time a big game actually rolls around, in a tournament like this, you’re either ready for the game or you’re missing an opportunity to play for the gold. In a short tournament, there aren’t really second chances.

And you don’t optimize your team by playing some of your best players fewer minutes, and not playing them on lines that will maximize their potential. You want them comfortable with their role and their linemates before those big games.

Well me and the coach of team USA do not agree and that’s just how it is. When you say you, you mean “you” because we think your wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad