GDT: Game 6 - CBJ vs DAL - 16 Oct, 7pm, Nationwide Arena

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I'm really glad for Korpi.. I hope he is up to playing alot, and looking forward to seeing Elvis have some success. Got to see a little more of his personality when he had to explain about all his ink. Interesting tats and phrasing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
One thing I don’t get about PP is why we can’t switch Cam and Gus, Seth and Zach so they’re set to blast one timers, currently they keep moving the puck because they couldn’t shoot it with one touch and there’s no time for more

Join the club. We've been complaining about guys needing to be on their one-timer sides for a long time. And now Jody is complaining about it too. It's baffling.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I hope Torts lets Korpisalo run with the ball until he has a bad outing. Elvis can wait. Someone suggested that Elvis ought to be sent to Cleveland for a game when the CBJ are off. Korpisalo did that many times. Why not Elvis? Only downside is if he gets lit up in the AHL his confidence could really take a big hit. But if he's getting lit up in the AHL, he probably doesn't need to be in the NHL.

Last edited:

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Join the club. We've been complaining about guys needing to be on their one-timer sides for a long time. And now Jody is complaining about it too. It's baffling.
The only explanation I have for this is simply that it hasn't worked for us. With Panarin we never utilized his slap shot. Bemstrom was off the PP before he even got an ounce of confidence and now we have Dubois there. To be fair to Torts, Dubois has been good there, he has hit the post quite a bit and has been a bit unlucky. The PP looked good last night and there has been good movement. I just don't think our Dmen know how to properly set up the one timer. Everytime I see Seth with the puck I'm screaming in my head to pass it to Bemstrom (previous PP) for the one timer and he just refuses. It baffles me. That said, the PP has looked decent with this weird, everyone on their wrong side, should suck, but somehow gets chances, PP.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Thinking ahead, Bemstrom is 20 years old. After Dec.1, the return to the Swedish League is waived so Cleveland is an option if we decide to send him down. My question is does the AHL allow 20 year olds?

Kellen

Apr 17, 2019
Thinking ahead, Bemstrom is 20 years old. After Dec.1, the return to the Swedish League is waived so Cleveland is an option if we decide to send him down. My question is does the AHL allow 20 year olds?

Yes they do- that is the cut off. They need to be 20. I’m pretty sure he never belonged to a Junior team either- so even if he was 19 he could play.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
In the Milano highlight there's a post goal interaction between Larsen and Torts that is quite interesting. Larsen kind of shoves Torts like, "See, I told ya the kid could play" and Torts gives out a big smile, laugh or whatever. Maybe nothing but I found it interesting. Normally our assistants kind of do a fist pump and Torts gazes up to the board with no emotion .

BTW, glad Sonny buried it or he'd be top man on the crap list today...
They kinda did the same thing on the Wennberg goal, they just kinda looked at each other like wait did that just happen and then both let out a huge grin.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I jumped off of the sofa when Sonny shot that puck and we've had our share of stops by the other goalie when we tried to shoot in a conventional way. But I get the feeling if Sonny tries something like that again and misses, Torts might be none too happy. Kind of like the basketball player who instead of the easy lay up, he tries a 360 dunk and misses the whole basket. If it works it's great, if he misses, rut roh.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Torts said Sonny needs to learn he doesn't need to make a big play every time he's on the ice. Yes, he does! In his mind, he's fighting for ice time and trying to stay on the big club.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Torts said Sonny needs to learn he doesn't need to make a big play every time he's on the ice. Yes, he does! In his mind, he's fighting for ice time and trying to stay on the big club.

He doesn't need to make a BIG play every time he is on the ice. He needs to make the RIGHT play when he is on the ice. SOMETIMES the right play is the big play. It's the decision making of knowing when to take chances and when to not take chances.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I don't think guys like Pavel Bure or Bobby Hull (childhood idol) ever played a lick of defense. They were offensive weapons and the other players needed to cover for them. Keep the D back, if needed but let some of these young guys make runs - You don't have to do it 100% of the time but give them some minutes and let them attack. Half the guys we have hit the goalie in the chest on the break away - there is not threat in their games.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I don't think guys like Pavel Bure or Bobby Hull (childhood idol) ever played a lick of defense. They were offensive weapons and the other players needed to cover for them. Keep the D back, if needed but let some of these young guys make runs - You don't have to do it 100% of the time but give them some minutes and let them attack. Half the guys we have hit the goalie in the chest on the break away - there is not threat in their games.

I don't think Robbie Schremp ever played a lick of defense either, but it turns out that there's a difference between a first-ballot HOFer and Robbie Schremp.

Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

The game has opened up a ton over the past few years and its going to be very hard for a team which doesn't score 3.25 goals/game to compete at the top level. The neutral zone trap era is dead. Amen.

Letting the leash loose on younger players may cause a few extra goals against, but it will also give them the opportunity to get creative offensively and make the mistakes which are part of the long term learning process. Stifling their creativity with a too rigid defensive component isn't in the team's best interest IMO. It may have been the way to play the game a short time ago, but it isn't now. That being said, allowing freer reign to players has to be done within the context of the game situation. If you're up 3-2 with 5 minutes left, it's obviously time to attend to defensive responsibilities first.

Heard a great story about Hull a few months ago. A guy whose mother was in the same nursing home as my mom is said he was out on the town in NYC about 15 years ago and Hull was at the same bar. They started talking hockey and Hull ended up sending him a bunch of memorabilia for free a few weeks later but more importantly picked up the rather substantial bar tab. The guy told me Hull was an absolute joy to hang out with.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Bread Man

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

Milano needs to back check, not turn the puck over, and keep his shifts shorter if he wants more ice time. Everyone knows he has offensive skills, but it is the rest of the game he needs to develop.

Milano has played in 4 games this season — 3 victories and a 2-1 loss. He isn't the kind of player you put in the game in defensive situations. He wasn’t in the game for the meaningless goal against with 4 seconds left against the Stars. He didn’t play in the blowout loss to The Penguins. Yet he is a -1 on the season. You can argue about +/- and whether it is a good stat, but Sonny’s issue is he is a guy who can put up some points but likely to give up more.

When Torts says he doesn’t need to make a big play every time he is on the ice, he means it. And Sonny better learn it. I think he is getting better. Playing in Cleveland in the playoffs might have helped him develop more. He is one of our top 12 forwards. He is in no danger of being sent to Cleveland.

I also think Torts would love for Sonny to learn what he is trying to teach him and for Sonny to earn that top line LW spot. But until Sonny learns things like how not to get knocked off the puck so much and shows he can play more defense, he won’t get many minutes in the 3rd period and won’t be getting more than 10 minutes per game.

Last edited:

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
idk where else to place this but has Boone really been this bad to where he has no points through 6 games?

im sure hes loved in the room, by the fans, etc.. but, might it just be time to move along from him? i loved him for years as an outsider, looked like a prototypical big guy who you win with.. now, it appears he's just lost? every year appears to be a statistical regression. Am i wrong to assume this?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
idk where else to place this but has Boone really been this bad to where he has no points through 6 games?

im sure hes loved in the room, by the fans, etc.. but, might it just be time to move along from him? i loved him for years as an outsider, looked like a prototypical big guy who you win with.. now, it appears he's just lost? every year appears to be a statistical regression. Am i wrong to assume this?

I don't think he's been as bad as zero points in 6 games would have you think. Boone was among the team leaders in scoring opportunities in the first couple of games. Since then he hasn't had many looks, but he's still quicker than he's been at times in recent years. In the first half of 2017-2018 he was far worse, no scoring and no chances of it either, he wasn't quick enough. I'm sure it sucks if you have him in fantasy, but in reality he's very valuable to the team as a shutdown center, he's not going anywhere.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I tend to agree. I've never quite understood the love for Boone,future captain etc. I'm too lazy to check but wonder how many other "3rd line" C's have 0 pts through 6 games.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Milano needs to back check, not turn the puck over, and keep his shifts shorter if he wants more ice time. Everyone knows he has offensive skills, but it is the rest of the game he needs to develop.

Milano has played in 4 games this season — 3 victories and a 2-1 loss. He isn't the kind of player you put in the game in defensive situations. He wasn’t in the game for the meaningless goal against with 4 seconds left against the Stars. He didn’t play in the blowout loss to The Penguins. Yet he is a -1 on the season. You can argue about +/- and whether it is a good stat, but Sonny’s issue is he is a guy who can put up some points but likely to give up more.

When Torts says he doesn’t need to make a big play every time he is on the ice, he means it. And Sonny better learn it. I think he is getting better. Playing in Cleveland in the playoffs might have helped him develop more. He is one of our top 12 forwards. He is in no danger of being sent to Cleveland.

I also think Torts would love for Sonny to learn what he is trying to teach him and for Sonny to earn that top line LW spot. But until Sonny learns things like how not to get knocked off the puck so much and shows he can play more defense, he won’t get many minutes in the 3rd period and won’t be getting more than 10 minutes per game.
Couldn't have said it better. Spot on.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

Ive never been a Boone guy. That freak 30 goal season caused people to drastically overrate him. He has hands of stone and it’s really hard to figure out where he truly fits.

Reactions: EspenK

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

First off, the shift issue isn't true. His average shift is less than both of his linemates and at 42 seconds average is in the bottom 1/3 among forwards. While he is more prone to turning over the puck than some teammates, he's also among the handful who actually will carry the puck thru the zone rather than dumping and chipping.

Is the a great defensive player? Has he improved and exhibiting on ice improved defensive effort? Yes.

In an interview just a few weeks ago, Hitch repeated something I heard him say previously. When coaching younger players, build and reinforce their strengths. Live with their mistakes. Over time work on the areas requiring improvement. Good advice.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
First off, the shift issue isn't true. His average shift is less than both of his linemates and at 42 seconds average is in the bottom 1/3 among forwards. While he is more prone to turning over the puck than some teammates, he's also among the handful who actually will carry the puck thru the zone rather than dumping and chipping.

Is the a great defensive player? Has he improved and exhibiting on ice improved defensive effort? Yes.

In an interview just a few weeks ago, Hitch repeated something I heard him say previously. When coaching younger players, build and reinforce their strengths. Live with their mistakes. Over time work on the areas requiring improvement. Good advice.
The thing is this is year 5 of his development. He is a first round pick and people are getting excited over incremental improvement in year 5. I've compared him to Bjorkstrand before and will continue to because they are basically the same age and drafted a year apart. OB was drafted in the 3rd round and has gone through the doghouse with Torts and has improved consistantly. He is a better all around player than Milano. He has been better in the AHL also. The only thing Milano does better is score fancy goals. Bottom line is Milano was overrated. He should have been the 3rd round pick. Then we could be excited that he is improving because he was a 3rd round pick. But he isn't and for being a first rounder, he is developing way too slow. He should have been in Columbus to stay 2 years ago. I refuse to blame Torts because you don't coach 1260+ games and not know what you are doing when it comes to Milano. Even with his slight improvement this year, he is still way behind where he was expected to be right now.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Heard a great story about Hull a few months ago. A guy whose mother was in the same nursing home as my mom is said he was out on the town in NYC about 15 years ago and Hull was at the same bar. They started talking hockey and Hull ended up sending him a bunch of memorabilia for free a few weeks later but more importantly picked up the rather substantial bar tab. The guy told me Hull was an absolute joy to hang out with.

That is a great story, thanks for sharing it. I'm not surprised about him being pretty outgoing most hockey players I've met are pretty nice guys***. I have a 1964 Blackhawk Annual that was signed by Bobby Hull, Phil Esposito, Stan Makita and Ken Hodge . What might have been if Hull and Esposito had remained teammates for their careers

*** The only exception being Wayne Gretzky. My wife and I were at an event where he was repeatedly rude to everyone around us. This was long after he hung up the skates. His wife Janet Jones apologized for him. Multiple times in different situations.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I tend to agree. I've never quite understood the love for Boone,future captain etc. I'm too lazy to check but wonder how many other "3rd line" C's have 0 pts through 6 games.

I'm sure this isn't news to you, but sometimes people tend to think of leadership as a distinct quality separate from scoring ability. And I won't bother counting how many 3C's still haven't got a point (short samples like this make for stupid arguments), but I will discuss what he did in the previous 77 games. 31 points at 5 v 5 is above 3C level, it's just below the average for a 2C. Only a spoiled Jackets fan would complain about that.

Ive never been a Boone guy. That freak 30 goal season caused people to drastically overrate him. He has hands of stone and it’s really hard to figure out where he truly fits.

It's not that hard to figure out where Boone fits, c'mon. I haven't seen anyone pencil him in as a topline scorer in years. Last year he was a half-a-point-per-game shutdown center. We'll take that every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad