GDT: Game 6 - CBJ vs DAL - 16 Oct, 7pm, Nationwide Arena

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
In the Milano highlight there's a post goal interaction between Larsen and Torts that is quite interesting. Larsen kind of shoves Torts like, "See, I told ya the kid could play" and Torts gives out a big smile, laugh or whatever. Maybe nothing but I found it interesting. Normally our assistants kind of do a fist pump and Torts gazes up to the board with no emotion .

BTW, glad Sonny buried it or he'd be top man on the crap list today...

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
He’s been one of our best players both ways this season . I would like to se him play with Texier.
Honestly, if he is one of our best players both ways, he would be playing more. He definately has talent, and can score highlight reel goals, but he is lacking elsewhere. He needs to create more on offence, not just by scoring, but setting up his linemates. He is a quality passer, but as far as going and battling for pucks, and coming out with it, that doesn't happen enough. I have seen him do some fantastic things on the ice, but I get why Torts gets frustrated with him. He knows what Sonny is capable of, when or if Sonny figures it out, he will get more ice time.

Reactions: thebus88 and Dumais

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Nah, Gavrikov is already a better player, than Tyutin ever was, he just isn't fully comfortable in the league yet.

I think I am Gavrikov's #1 fan here and he's so solid, but I worry that he can't skate well enough. Hopefully you are right and it's just him getting comfortable before he skates a little more freely, but he looks 'tight' skating, if that makes sense.

Reactions: Dumais

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I think I am Gavrikov's #1 fan here and he's so solid, but I worry that he can't skate well enough. Hopefully you are right and it's just him getting comfortable before he skates a little more freely, but he looks 'tight' skating, if that makes sense.

I want our very own Vlad Konstatinov! Sadly, pro hockey has probably seen the last of his type...

Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

He's a defensive defenseman, who relies mostly on his positioning and IQ. He isn't any worse of a skater, than Chara was and especially is. If you look at some of Gavrikov's offensive moves during his KHL career, though, you'll see, he's a pretty good skater. He doesn't need it right now, but he will probably need it in the future.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
He's a defensive defenseman, who relies mostly on his positioning and IQ. He isn't any worse of a skater, than Chara was and especially is. If you look at some of Gavrikov's offensive moves during his KHL career, though, you'll see, he's a pretty good skater. He doesn't need it right now, but he will probably need it in the future.

I did watch quite a bit of him and he looked faster there than he does here. Hopefully it will show in time

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
In the Milano highlight there's a post goal interaction between Larsen and Torts that is quite interesting. Larsen kind of shoves Torts like, "See, I told ya the kid could play" and Torts gives out a big smile, laugh or whatever. Maybe nothing but I found it interesting. Normally our assistants kind of do a fist pump and Torts gazes up to the board with no emotion .

I think your absolutely right . This is today’s Nhl, something that never would have happened inTorts , prime. Larsen with the , this is what happens when you let skilled players cut it loose . It’s criminal the lack of minutes Sonny has gotten . Since camp he has looked like one of the best forwards , and he’s really battling away from the puck as well. The kid should be playing in our top 6, as should Texier . To me, Texier has already displayed the same problem that Bread had here . We were always looking for someone skilled enough so Bread could play his game . Don’t get me wrong, Bread salvaged the situation, and was highly successful here . But Texier plays at a different speed , his passes are snapped and quick , many times the wingers bobble . Let Milano and Tex play together .

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I'm not going to go on a Robertesque rant but Cam has played like crap since the Boston series, dude needs to figure it out because the team will need his 30+ goals if they're going to do anything this season.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I wonder how many teams practice 5-on-6 (or 6-on-5, for that matter). You'd think it would be at least a small piece of special teams? Maybe? or maybe not, I don't know.

But I do know the Jackets spend way too much time pinned down when the other team adds the extra attacker.

Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
I'm not going to go on a Robertesque rant but Cam has played like crap since the Boston series, dude needs to figure it out because the team will need his 30+ goals if they're going to do anything this season.
In the post game on radio, Jody was saying he thinks Cam looks uncomfortable playing on the right side. I’m not sure when that change was made,?

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Both him and Nyqvist look like they're still recovering from Torts training camp

Reactions: CPTN71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

Very stiff/rigid yes.. I agree

But maybe..

Both him and Nyqvist look like they're still recovering from Torts training camp
This is the reason behind it?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
In the post game on radio, Jody was saying he thinks Cam looks uncomfortable playing on the right side. I’m not sure when that change was made,?

Cam played the last 2 years on the right. I think he did before also? WTF is Jody talking about?

Reactions: Viqsi

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Hes learning as he goes. I still don’t think he’s quite ready yet but he’s close enough to keep.

Bemstrom however...
I'm probably more positive about Tex than you and feel he is entrenched on the roster....I strongly agreed reference to Bemstrom. True he's only played a handful of NHL games, but he doesn't look ready at all in any facet of the game. He may well become a good NHL player....but he has a looooong way to go.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
FWIW, I also was pleased with what I saw from Gavrikov. I am optimistic that the top 9 Defensemen of the CBJ are as deep and capable as any team in the league.

Reactions: Lumbus

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
One thing I don’t get about PP is why we can’t switch Cam and Gus, Seth and Zach so they’re set to blast one timers, currently they keep moving the puck because they couldn’t shoot it with one touch and there’s no time for more

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
"Nice goal, Sonny. I'm still playing you the fewest minutes of any guy on the team." - Torts. Only mildly infuriating.

Seth Jones is getting his face caved in this season, despite ~50/50 zone starts.

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio

Torts: "No! No! No!.... Great shot!"
I can see him screaming at Sonny to "Play the right way" and this is an example of what Sonny can do if you just leave him alone. Yeah, it's infuriating and unconventional, but when you line up and take 20 slapshots at Bishop, all of which he easily stops, maybe it is the unusual shot that is needed to catch the goalie unawares.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Torts: "No! No! No!.... Great shot!"
I can see him screaming at Sonny to "Play the right way" and this is an example of what Sonny can do if you just leave him alone. Yeah, it's infuriating and unconventional, but when you line up and take 20 slapshots at Bishop, all of which he easily stops, maybe it is the unusual shot that is needed to catch the goalie unawares.

Watch Bishop on that move, he was either clueless or in awe...Maybe both.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
There's still a lot of hockey ahead, but kudos to Korpi. Three consecutive 2-goal games is an excellent string of hockey. Right now this team seems more likely to win 2-1 and 3-2 games rather than 5-4 games, so Korpi's play is a major ingredient to a winning recipe. I think the scoring will improve, but for now we need Korpi and the defense (DMen and forwards) to play at this high defensive level.

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad