Post-Game Talk: Game 6 - B's start with Rockie Mountain low and don't recover - Flames 5 BRUINS 2 F

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
When secondary scoring has been a problem for a while now and there have been no improvements it’s rather unsettling. Especially when there is no secondary scoring against the extremely easy schedule the bruins have had to begin the year.

Backes having zero points against terrible competition while getting a lot of power play time is a big concern.

Serious question: Did David Backes run over your cat or something?

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I've got a homer Flames fan on Twitter trying to tell me Gaudreau didn't have possession and that the puck was nowhere near him when Mcavoy hit him. The puck was literally two feet away. It was a bad call.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Not true. The 2nd was terrible rebound control on a routine shot which lead to the goal.

The defensemen weren't doing their job. The puck didn't pop out 3 feet into the scoring area- Monahan should not have been able to take that puck from right in front Rask and get it to a wide open Gaudreau. But we can agree to disagree, though. Whatever the case, putting that loss on Tuuka is a cheap cop out (not saying you in particular) and such lazy, low-hanging fruit.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I've got a homer Flames fan on Twitter trying to tell me Gaudreau didn't have possession and that the puck was nowhere near him when Mcavoy hit him. The puck was literally two feet away. It was a bad call.
Much more than 2 feet. It was a good call.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
This Bruins lineup is not right to compete for a Cup.The 2nd and 3rd lines are useless.What I saw last nite was a flawed roster that deep teams can and will dominate when games matter most.Sweeney needs to fix it if Cup is the real goal.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Much more than 2 feet. It was a good call.

INT penalty yea ok fair enough..But suspension lol .Fans next to me had no idea where it even happened when he left. I saw them hit him earlier trying to cut across right on the hip and another penalty on a good hit that time..You cannot touch that little guy in Calgary or in the box.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
INT penalty yea ok fair enough..But suspension lol .Fans next to me had no idea where it even happened when he left. I saw them hit him earlier trying to cut across right on the hip and another penalty on a good hit that time..You cannot touch that little guy in Calgary or in the box.
I think what could be a possible suspendable offense is McAvoy's hit to Gaudreau's head. To me it looks like a retaliation hit because of what happened a few seconds before... (McAvoy flat on the ice and completely beat by Gaudreau). This video shows more of the play...

Last edited:

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Johnny's head was down and he was not balanced, so the arm by McAvoy looks worse. He could have driven through Gaudreau and choose not to. A penalty was called and served.

I don't see the DPS touching this one.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I think what could be a possible suspendable offense is McAvoy's hit to Gaudreau's head. To me it looks like a retaliation hit because of what happened a few seconds before... (McAvoy flat on the ice and completely beat by Gaudreau). This video shows more of the play...

He always got a concussion which may make the league look at it

But I don’t think he should be suspended but it was definitely a penalty for interference but nothing else

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He always got a concussion which may make the league look at it

But I don’t think he should be suspended but it was definitely a penalty for interference but nothing else
I would think that any play that results in a concussion would warrant an automatic review by the DoPS but I don't know if that's true or not. If it isn't you would think it should be.. particularly since they are trying to clamp down on that sort of thing.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I would think that any play that results in a concussion would warrant an automatic review by the DoPS but I don't know if that's true or not. If it isn't you would think it should be.. particularly since they are trying to clamp down on that sort of thing.

That would be terrible policy, and I say that as someone who is huge advocate for taking care of head injuries. Hockey is a contact sport and concussions will be a part of the game even if it were played 100% cleanly and within the rules. The league needs to clamp down on the hits like Tom Wilson makes, the kind that are reckless or intentional. Nothing about what McAvoy did there was either. It was a bit of a late hit but he didn't piledrive him into the boards, target his head, hit him from behind etc. Those SN announcers were showing their bias as usual. It's a good thing it wasn't Brand Marchand that did it or people would screaming for a lifetime ban.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

According to TSN Johnny has gotten his bell run in the two games previous, so it could also be a combination of that as well. TSN also said he should be back playing this weekend so he cant be that bad.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Only saw the highlights from dtmts.com .... literally every Bruins scoring chance presented was cretaed by the first line.
So I have to ask: Was it really THAT bad? (Of curse I don't mean the first line)

I'm aware that highlights never really tell the full story, but it seems to me the Bruins (or rather the Bergy-line) had a very good start and only failed to score. And the Flames were just opportunistic?!

Tmac37

Apr 1, 2018
Formerly Tmac21
Only saw the highlights from dtmts.com .... literally every Bruins scoring chance presented was cretaed by the first line.
So I have to ask: Was it really THAT bad? (Of curse I don't mean the first line)

I'm aware that highlights never really tell the full story, but it seems to me the Bruins (or rather the Bergy-line) had a very good start and only failed to score. And the Flames were just opportunistic?!

Pretty much what I saw too.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Pretty much what I saw too.

Yep- agree. One line that did anything of value offensively, some shabby defending, nothing more than average goaltending from Rask, good goaltending from Mike Smith, and poor puck luck.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
As a neutral observer I found the 2 min penalty called on McAvoy ridiculous, and now there's talk of a suspension??!!

This is the problem when players are getting younger, and smaller...A 'normal' sized McAvoy destroys these guys with a clean hit, and the pc police of the NHL jump in on how it was a cheap shot on a unsuspecting opponent.

If this trend continues I'll have my doubts if I'm a fan of this league 5 years from now.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Gaudreau looks to be ok and no further action will be taken by the league

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
My issue with you is nothing is ever positive and you dig up player threads to rip them, I apologized in the Backes thread because you didn't know he got knocked out of the game. Krejci is the highest paid player on the team. Krejci also is being counted on to be a second line center. Krejci is paid to make his line mates better. He's made Lucic better. Iginla, Eriksson and Horton were already established NHL veterans before #46. He's been mediocre. Painful in terms of it sucks to watch, he used to be great. Comes down to personal expectations for players I guess, I also ended it with I still think he can do it, something relatively positive, instead of "we will be lucky to get 20 points out of him" nonsense, but like you said, opinions are whatever

Do a search on my posts, let me know if it's true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad