Post-Game Talk: Game 6 - B's start with Rockie Mountain low and don't recover - Flames 5 BRUINS 2 F

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Like the last phrase. After the three kid centers were found wanting, Kuraly proved (so far) to be a 4th liner, and Backes has laid a dinosaur egg, what's to lose by giving Donato a shot?
He doesn't seem to know where the defensive zone is or seem very concerned about finding it.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He doesn't seem to know where the defensive zone is or seem very concerned about finding it.

I can't disagree with this at all. He has not been impressive- he had that one snazzy dangle last night and a bunch of nothing. Yeah they see something with him, and so do we all, but he appears to be getting a lot more rope than a lot of other guys have gotten when they played that poorly (Heinen, Cehlarik, Czarnik come immediately to mind).

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Rask needs to be much better than he was in the first period or they are not going far.

He gave up one goal that he should have had- the other two his defense fell apart in front of him. No goalies in the league is probably stopping the first two goals there. You should change your post to "The defense needs to be much better that they were in the first period or they are not going far"

Reactions: OV

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Certainly no more ridiculous than folks pulling the "sky is falling" card over a lack of secondary scoring in October.

When secondary scoring has been a problem for a while now and there have been no improvements it’s rather unsettling. Especially when there is no secondary scoring against the extremely easy schedule the bruins have had to begin the year.

Backes having zero points against terrible competition while getting a lot of power play time is a big concern.

Reactions: Fenian24

sportsvg

Dec 24, 2014
Ontario
Maybe for some it is hate, but for many of us, it is just the reality of DK these days. What you are describing and what we are seeing most of the time from him is a 3C- responsible defensively, generally responsible with the puck, not enough offense to drive a second scoring line or speed to keep up with speedy scoring wingers. If you put David Backes at 2C it would probably be about the same. Krejci is a more skilled playmaker and less physical than Backes, but otherwise the game they are bringing right now is pretty similar. $13 million/year for two 3Cs. You can see why people might be bugged by that.

I guess that could bug people but that is the price for good experienced versatile players who have options. Right now line one makes 19 million (amazing), line 2a/2b make about 9 million each (respectable) - and line 4 makes 3 million (excellent), that allocation looks fine to me. The team has cap space available to grab someone if needed and if it ends up being a "2nd line" center Krejci can slide down, if it's a "2nd line" winger I think he will be fine as our 2nd best center playing with 2 solid wingers.

I look at it this way, if Bergeron/Marchand and Pasta all made 7.5 and Krejci made 6 everyone would be saying what a great job the front office did getting everyone on fair deals..... but we'd be spending 1.5 million more per year overall. Some deals are better than others but as a whole things look pretty good, I'd rather be sitting in the Bruins spot with the cap than most other teams in the league.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
When secondary scoring has been a problem for a while now and there have been no improvements it’s rather unsettling. Especially when there is no secondary scoring against the extremely easy schedule the bruins have had to begin the year.

No improvements is debatable. Let's give them some time. NHL teams really have no idea what they have and what kind of team they might be until at least the holidays.

Again....supposedly this was a problem last season yet they still scored more goals than almost every other team in the league.

Backes having zero points against terrible competition while getting a lot of power play time is a big concern.

Agreed.

Reactions: Blowfish

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I guess that could bug people but that is the price for good experienced versatile players who have options. Right now line one makes 19 million (amazing), line 2a/2b make about 9 million each (respectable) - and line 4 makes 3 million (excellent), that allocation looks fine to me. The team has cap space available to grab someone if needed and if it ends up being a "2nd line" center Krejci can slide down, if it's a "2nd line" winger I think he will be fine as our 2nd best center playing with 2 solid wingers.

I look at it this way, if Bergeron/Marchand and Pasta all made 7.5 and Krejci made 6 everyone would be saying what a great job the front office did getting everyone on fair deals..... but we'd be spending 1.5 million more per year overall. Some deals are better than others but as a whole things look pretty good, I'd rather be sitting in the Bruins spot with the cap than most other teams in the league.

I don't argue with you about the cap overall- it isn't my money. I do have a problem with two guys that are basically 3c quality at the moment making a combined 13 million+. To put that in perspective you could have John Tavares as your 2C and Riley Nash as your 3c for close to that. So I don't think that is good value for what either guy brings right now. Having one of them, fine, most every team seems to have that guy, but now we seemingly have two and it kind of sucks.

Reactions: RoccoF14

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
He gave up one goal that he should have had- the other two his defense fell apart in front of him. No goalies in the league is probably stopping the first two goals there. You should change your post to "The defense needs to be much better that they were in the first period or they are not going far"
The D does need to be better, but I would say 2 of the 3 goals in the first were Rask's fault, that first one he overplayed it by a mile. He has started slow last year too, so willing to see if he can get out of this funk , but if he does not we could be in trouble. I really love Halak as our back up, but don't think he can be a #1 all year type of thing.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Oh come on,I not one to jump on Rask,but he sucked,he was struggling to find the puck which he does sometimes,he did play great after he gave up 4 though will give him that.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Oh come on,I not one to jump on Rask,but he sucked,he was struggling to find the puck which he does sometimes,he did play great after he gave up 4 though will give him that.

He made some good stops in the first period too. I thought two of the goals were poor team play and not really on him, the third one was a softie deluxe. But we can see it differently. I believe if the team was what they needed to be it isn't a problem. I am not a defend Rask at all costs poster, but I don't think last night was really on him. If he had been lights out good- he wasn't- he could have kept us in it for sure.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I am happy I went to sleep.

I will try and watch tonight. Is the start time 9 pm ?

I am not too worried ...yet.

The top line is great but we need to get others going.

moving on....

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I don't mind giving Backes a bit more time as the 3C but for the life of me cannot understand why he is getting pp time.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I don't mind giving Backes a bit more time as the 3C but for the life of me cannot understand why he is getting pp time.

Forwards on PP1- Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta, Bjork

Forwards on PP2- Krejci, Donato, DeBrusk, Backes

Forwards not on PP- Nordstrom, Wagner, Acciari, Kurlay

Which of those 4 would u want over Backes?

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Not true. The 2nd was terrible rebound control on a routine shot which lead to the goal.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Forwards on PP1- Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta, Bjork

Forwards on PP2- Krejci, Donato, DeBrusk, Backes

Forwards not on PP- Nordstrom, Wagner, Acciari, Kurlay

Which of those 4 would u want over Backes?

I would at least give Nordstrom a try or Kuraly, how about dressing Heinen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad