GDT: Game 59: Coyotes @ Ottawa - 4:30pm (AZ) - NHLN, BSAZ, 98.7FM

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Tanking is overrated for building a successful team. Take a look at my Canes as the prime example of this. They made the ECF in 2018-2019 with their key building block guys being a 2nd rounder (Aho), a 3rd rounder (Pesce), and a 5th rounder (Slavin). Svechnikov, though 2nd overall, was only 18 and wasn't a significant lineup piece at the time. Honestly, what's going to be far more important to a future Yotes powerhouse is that massive base of 2nd rounders that they've piled up from cap dumps.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Tanking is overrated for building a successful team. Take a look at my Canes as the prime example of this. They made the ECF in 2018-2019 with their key building block guys being a 2nd rounder (Aho), a 3rd rounder (Pesce), and a 5th rounder (Slavin). Svechnikov, though 2nd overall, was only 18 and wasn't a significant lineup piece at the time. Honestly, what's going to be far more important to a future Yotes powerhouse is that massive base of 2nd rounders that they've piled up from cap dumps.

There are examples of both. Look at how many Cups have been won by high first rd picks. TB, Pitt, Chicago, Washington. On the other hand, the last 1OA to win the Cup was Stamkos (2008 draft class).

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Someone took the tank poster down in the locker room and forgot to rehang it. Don’t worry, we have a new one on order, should be here around TDL day.

I think the Tank poster was destroyed by a Ukrainian missile. They seem to be hitting everything.

Reactions: YotesFan47

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
This has been fun, but I feel like we are due for some serious regression. Time will tell, but I could see it happening next season too once there is more tape on AT and are young guys. But man oh man if AT is getting this out of Keller, Schmaltz and Crouse what if he going to do with Slafkovsky, Guenther and Bedard?!?!
I dono man, we have our systems, conditioning, and budding leadership in place. It’ll be tough without some turnover to be bad again.

Chychrun, Keller, Schmaltz, Crouse, Maccelli, Moser, Mayo, Gostisbehere, Vejmelka, Wedgewood, Mayo, Ritchie, Hayton, Boyd, and soon the additions of Soderstrom, Guenther, Doan, and some of our picks this year are only going to make us harder to play against. If we get 2 more legitimate centers, another top 9 winger, and top 4 defenseman, we could be very hard pressed not to sit just outside the bubble next season. Adding a few of the right vets will only help these kids continue to overcome adversity and win games as they grow. This future looks bright as hell.

Edit: Forgot Kolyachonok! He still has a lot of growth he needs to go through but he looks legit too!

Reactions: MIGs Dog and Grimes

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I dono man, we have our systems, conditioning, and budding leadership in place. It’ll be tough without some turnover to be bad again.

Chychrun, Keller, Schmaltz, Crouse, Maccelli, Moser, Mayo, Gostisbehere, Vejmelka, Wedgewood, Mayo, Ritchie, Hayton, Boyd, and soon the additions of Soderstrom, Guenther, Doan, and some of our picks this year are only going to make us harder to play against. If we get 2 more legitimate centers, another top 9 winger, and top 4 defenseman, we could be very hard pressed not to sit just outside the bubble next season. Adding a few of the right vets will only help these kids continue to overcome adversity and win games as they grow. This future looks bright as hell.

Edit: Forgot Kolyachonok! He still has a lot of growth he needs to go through but he looks legit too!

Agreed on all of these points and I'm absolutely ecstatic at where this team is going. But half of those guys could also take a big step back too. We've also been pretty damn fortunate on the injury front. Schmaltz and Chychrun have had significant injuries and obviously Timmins (who I can't wait to see what AT can do with him) but our goalies have been able to play and even though our center depth is shallower than a Kardashian they have. stayed on the ice.

If Schmatlz and Keller have turned the corner and are now 70+ point players that could really change where we are at next season too.

I'm not as certain that we will be a bottom three team next season, but I absolutely would not be surprised if we were.

Reactions: YotesFan47

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Agreed on all of these points and I'm absolutely ecstatic at where this team is going. But half of those guys could also take a big step back too. We've also been pretty damn fortunate on the injury front. Schmaltz and Chychrun have had significant injuries and obviously Timmins (who I can't wait to see what AT can do with him) but our goalies have been able to play and even though our center depth is shallower than a Kardashian they have. stayed on the ice.

If Schmatlz and Keller have turned the corner and are now 70+ point players that could really change where we are at next season too.

I'm not as certain that we will be a bottom three team next season, but I absolutely would not be surprised if we were.
Haha I love that kardashian line.

I think we do see some guys take steps back, but we also have players that will take a step forward. I’m more inclined to judge this team off our 2nd half performance than our 1st. We still have 20 some odd games to go but if our 42-82 games have a winning record, or closer to, I think that’s the team we get next year. The coaching staff is a big reason why I believe we see the team perform so well next season.

Reactions: Grimes

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
There are examples of both. Look at how many Cups have been won by high first rd picks. TB, Pitt, Chicago, Washington. On the other hand, the last 1OA to win the Cup was Stamkos (2008 draft class).
Since 2010, Oilers OA pick position- 1, 1, 1, 7, 3, 1, 4, 22 (shocking), 10, 8, 14, 22

Oilers past 10 Seasons (2012 - 2021)
43.4%210
Winning PercentageMade PlayoffsPlayoff Series WinsChampionships

'Yotes scouting department HAS TO put the work in!

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Since 2010, Oilers OA pick position- 1, 1, 1, 7, 3, 1, 4, 22 (shocking), 10, 8, 14, 22

Oilers past 10 Seasons (2012 - 2021)

43.4%210
Winning PercentageMade PlayoffsPlayoff Series WinsChampionships

'Yotes scouting department HAS TO put the work in!

Right. The question is "why?" I blame the GM/coaching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad