GDT: Game 59: Coyotes @ Maple Leafs - 5:00pm (AZ) - FSA, FSA+ - NHL Schedulers Really Suck Edition

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Goalie interference is literally a coin flip situation. The league has absolutely no idea how to call it properly, so it's mostly a guessing game. Given the fact that it was Leafs, at home, in OT, there was zero chance they were allowing that goal.

**** happens.

Has to teach the skaters to stay the hell away from the goalies.

Stepan even has his own skate in the paint just before the goalie touches him. And when the goalie touches him, Steps reflex is to push back. Need to teach the skaters to stay away from the goalie. I think this is the right call, sadly, no way a coin-flip- that is GI 10 times out of 9.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If that is the league standard, then there will be a lot of goals called back. More than have been called. I know no one likes to complain about the reffing, but that was a brutal call. Stepan was barely in the blue ice for literally a fraction of a second and was out of it when the puck went in. The calls will even out for Yotes fans. But this was bad.

To be honest.... I don't think there's a real standard. But I can see why they would make that call and know it's gone the other way too. It gets down to who's doing the reviewing and no matter how hard they try to avoid these situations it's still lobbing darts at a board.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kessel signing was amazing when it happened. The type of signing this team needed. Hasn't paid off. Looks the years are catching up. If he's not playing well he needs to rest on the pine. No pampering. No favors. The money is spent. Make him earn his ice time.
I've always liked Kessel, was really happy for him when he won 2 cups. But yes, maybe time is catching up to him. He needs to work out in the summer IMO. He can't rely on just showing up at camp anymore. It will be interesting to see if he does this now that it looks like he has lost a step. If he can he can still be a positive. He has 1.2 retained on his salary, he can certainly play to 6.8.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Situation Room in Toronto initialed the challenge.

Situation Room Initiated Challenge: ARI @ TOR - 1:30 of Overtime
Interesting, and one thing that no one has mentioned yet here or on the mainboard was Campbell actually initiated contact first by putting his glove hand on Stepan first. I still say I have seen worst that goals have stood up. Given the call on the ice was a goal, I would need to see more conclusive evidence to overturn a goal like that. It's a tough break for Arizona, definitely deserved better tonight.

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
Also terrible, Perlini about lost an eye tonight. Holy crap this was seriously close to ending his career. Hoping he's OK too!

Edit - word is it got his nose. That'll be just a few stitches.

Last edited:

member 300185

Goalie interference is literally a coin flip situation. The league has absolutely no idea how to call it properly, so it's mostly a guessing game. Given the fact that it was Leafs, at home, in OT, there was zero chance they were allowing that goal.

**** happens.
Not to start an argument here, but those calls have gone against the leafs for 20 years or more. In 4 years, there have been 35 calls against the leafs, 26 of those calls at home. There have been 7 fines because of players and coaches complaining about the refs after a game. Just so you know, Leafs never get a call like that. Have a look at our thread. It is filled with disbeleaf that we finally got a call. Anyway, you guys played a good game. Good luck the rest of the way and I hope you make the playoffs.

Reactions: The90 and Grimes

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Always a little short on time trying to squeeze in the game before work. Turned off the TV right after chychs goal and went along with my day in a good mood. Just now realized that wasn't a goal and yotes didn't win. :ha:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Pretty weak call. Meanwhile on the Leafs forum they were mad Stepan did not get a penalty.

Was disappointed in Ferraro sucking up to the TML fanbase saying it was an obvious interference. He is usually better than that.
Exactly. If it was goalie interference, he should have gotten a penalty. No penalty, good goal. I don't think there was enough evidence to over turn the call. Oh well, it is what it is, on to the next game, which is a must win.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Interesting, and one thing that no one has mentioned yet here or on the mainboard was Campbell actually initiated contact first by putting his glove hand on Stepan first. I still say I have seen worst that goals have stood up. Given the call on the ice was a goal, I would need to see more conclusive evidence to overturn a goal like that. It's a tough break for Arizona, definitely deserved better tonight.
You hit the nail on the head.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Exactly. If it was goalie interference, he should have gotten a penalty. No penalty, good goal. I don't think there was enough evidence to over turn the call. Oh well, it is what it is, on to the next game, which is a must win.
That was the key point for me. NHL officials clearly have no idea what GTI is, similar to NFL definition of a catch when a receiver goes to the ground. When in doubt, the call on the ice should stand.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I have no idea how they called these on a nightly basis, seems it's fairly close to a coin flip for the average fan. But there is absolutely no requirement for a penalty call for every goalie interference call.

Reactions: Canis Latrans

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Guy didn't even say anything outrageous or even diss other leafs fans and yet you're following him around like a sad puppy just to flame. And one of you appears to have made an account just to do so.

I suddenly like F40 a bit more
Its unfortunate really. But lets just talk hockey here. It was a terrible call for you guys. Campbell touched Stepan first. For a goal to be overturned there has to be more conclusive evidence. I think we can all agree with this. You don’t want chinzy calls dictating results.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Its unfortunate really. But lets just talk hockey here. It was a terrible call for you guys. Campbell touched Stepan first. For a goal to be overturned there has to be more conclusive evidence. I think we can all agree with this. You don’t want chinzy calls dictating results.
I think this one a coin flip but the narrative that Campbell touched Stepan 1st is just plain silly. He used his glove to try to keep Stepan from hitting him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think this one a coin flip but the narrative that Campbell touched Stepan 1st is just plain silly. He used his glove to try to keep Stepan from hitting him.
It is a 60-40 no over turn to me. Seen far worse that a goal stood up. Stepan was barely in the blue for less than a second but before he got there Campbell’s glove was on Stepan. Its a split second on ice non call. My point is from a hockey perspective if they are going to be consistent in calling this. Which the nhl is not. Its going to open up a can of worms. Something i would hate if if a playoff game is decided by the war room. I don’t think this is helpful to our game. Thats my 2 cents.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It is a 60-40 no over turn to me. Seen far worse that a goal stood up. Stepan was barely in the blue for less than a second but before he gor there Campbell’s glove was on Stepan. Its a split second on ice non call. My point is from a hockey perspective if they are going to be consistent in calling this. Which the nhl is not. Its going to open up a can of worms. Something i would hate if if a playoff game is decided by the war room. I don’t think this is helpful to our game. Thats my 2 cents.
That's all fine, I just challenge your assertion that goalie made contact first.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
On another note. Watching 2 games last night. Isles vs philly and the yoyes last night. Was impressed by the coyotes. Tocchet has done a great job coaching this year. Also there is a lot of good talent on this arizona team. Lots to be positive on if you are a coyotes fans!

Reactions: sundance74

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Campbell initiated contact outside of his crease.
With his catching Mitt?? Campbell is never outside of his crease? I think this one is the very definition of a 50/50 coin flip call and I have no idea what rule could make it definitive in either direction?

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Shocker a post taking the side against the leafs. What’s more conclusive than an obvious knee to the thigh of the goalie, in his own crease. Stepan is skating into his crease so he stuck his hand out. What else is he supposed to do? That’s a textbook call. You just don’t like it

Reactions: SnizzMitch

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
On another note. Watching 2 games last night. Isles vs philly and the yoyes last night. Was impressed by the coyotes. Tocchet has done a great job coaching this year. Also there is a lot of good talent on this arizona team. Lots to be positive on if you are a coyotes fans!
Most of us are pissed at RT for letting this team slip the way it has. Someone mentioned that over the last 25 games the Yotes are third worst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad