GDT: Game 58: Coyotes @ Canadiens - 5:00pm (AZ) - FSA+ - Will The Real Coyotes PLEASE Stand Up?? Edition

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm exceedingly uncomfortable with the way this new front office pushes players to come back before they are ready and encourages and/or allows them to play when they are hurt.

Wasn't last practice Kuemper's first full one? What the **** is he even doing attempting to start this one? Why did anyone approve this?
Kuemper was suppose to be ready by the all star break if I'am not mistaken, so not sure if they are rushing him or not, and OEL, we don't know how serious his injury was.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
2020: Final WC pace 92pts
2019: Final WC spot 90pts
2018: Final WC spot 98pts

Should we say 94 points is the likely minimum to qualify for the Coyotes to sneak in?

We have 25 games to go and we need 33pts. That's 108 point pace over 82 games. For 25 games, we need to play like we're a 108 point team.

The problem is that we're on pace for 88pts. So we suddenly need to reach down deep and summon up an improvement in our play that is the equivalent of a 20 point swing from one season to the next.

What's worse is that over the last 25 games we've been the 3rd worst team in the NHL. We have earned fewer possible points per game than any team other than Detroit and Los Angeles. 68pt pace.

So we're on pace for 88pts on the season. We've had 68pts pace over the last 25gp. We need 108pt pace over the final 25gp to 94pts on the season.

This isn't paranoia. It's analysis. Run the numbers. They aren't good.
They need 8 points in the next (brutal) 8 game stretch. Tough, but not impossible.

Then the final 17 games are manageable:
Florida
Buffalo
At Vancouver
At Calgary
At Winnipeg
Vancouver
NY Rangers
Dallas
Vegas
Detroit
at LA
at Vegas
Nashville
at SJ
at Colorado
Vancouver
Winnipeg

10 of those games are against direct competitors for a WC playoff spot, 6 are against teams outside of playoff spots and then there's Colorado. 25 points in those 17 games is not a reach...but they must find their game.

Don't know what the minimum number will be, just need to focus on each game, period and shift individually. We need 19 guys playing like Connor Garland.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Yeah, at this point he's gotta start looking at selling. The kind of run we'd have to go on to get back into a playoff picture makes last year's run by the Blues look like a minor winning streak.
There's no way Chayka is selling given:
-the new owner made the Coyotes a cap team
-they traded for Taylor Hall
-their 2 points out of playoff spot and 4 points out of first place
-he will likely need to answer for the potential $5M fine for illegally testing CHL players.

Chayka's job may be on the line, especially given the latter, therefore he needs to get the Coyotes to the playoffs.

I might be overly optimistic, but I think they'll find a way in.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There's no way Chayka is selling given:
-the new owner made the Coyotes a cap team
-they traded for Taylor Hall
-their 2 points out of playoff spot and 4 points out of first place
-he will likely need to answer for the potential $5M fine for illegally testing CHL players.

Chayka's job may be on the line, especially given the latter, therefore he needs to get the Coyotes to the playoffs.

I'm might be overly optimistic, but I think they'll find a way in.

Bud if they lose the next two or three games, they are selling. You can't escape the math and fall for sunk costs. It makes no sense to hold on to Hall when he's obviously not signing with a losing team.

The $5m fine isn't even close to final. I doubt Chayka committed an egregious, obvious error to the point where the league slaps the organziation with a no-brainer max fine. More like he pushed a grey area and they will change the language while issuing a league wide warning.

The new owner got to where he was by being smart, not by being overly emotional and irrational. They are paying the price for not taking care of business in games they should have won. Games a certain in denial crowd around here downplayed the significance of.

2 points out of a playoff spot, 4 points out of first place.

Points percentage, how does it work?

I literally just read your numbers you came up with back to you in a realistic frame. The best teams in hockey hover around .700. When is the last time the Coyotes played that well over 15 games?

Reactions: CC96 and AZviaNJ

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Bud if they lose the next two or three games, they are selling. You can't escape the math and fall for sunk costs. It makes no sense to hold on to Hall when he's obviously not signing with a losing team.

The $5m fine isn't even close to final. I doubt Chayka committed an egregious, obvious error to the point where the league slaps the organziation with a no-brainer max fine. More like he pushed a grey area and they will change the language while issuing a league wide warning.

The new owner got to where he was by being smart, not by being overly emotional and irrational. They are paying the price for not taking care of business in games they should have won. Games a certain in denial crowd around here downplayed the significance of.

Points percentage, how does it work?

I literally just read your numbers you came up with back to you in a realistic frame. The best teams in hockey hover around .700. When is the last time the Coyotes played that well over 15 games?
I was painting a path to the 94 points @rt is using as the threshold. The current 7th/8th place teams are on 90-91 point pace.

If they're within 4-6 points at the TDL (Feb 24), and after missing the playoffs for the last 7 years, do you really think they're selling with those 17 games remaining?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I was painting a path to the 94 points @rt is using as the threshold. The current 7th/8th place teams are on 90-91 point pace.

If they're within 4-6 points at the TDL (Feb 24), and after missing the playoffs for the last 7 years, do you really think they're selling with those 17 games remaining?

4-6 points is quite a bit to claw back without your starting goalie over such a short span of games.

I also think that's incredibly optimistic positioning given the brutal schedule between now and the TDL. This team couldn't even put away the Ducks or the Kings coming out of the break. I am not at all confident they will even beat Ottawa at this point.

They're paying the price for not beating bad teams and tired teams. Also not being able to win the first game back at home. That's a leadership issue. Good teams put away the teams they should because they know there are other good teams they'll have to fight with. Points matter the same whether it's game 1 or game 82.

This team beat Edmonton, Calgary, St Louis, and Washington on the road in the span of two weeks but then lost to a bad Columbus and a bad Minny twice in that same span. You can't have those sorts of ups and downs while expecting to make the playoffs. They have been one of the worst teams in the league on this slide.

If they don't win at least 5 of 8, they need to sell.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I'm expecting a 3-2 loss, Tocc does his usual thing in the post game where he says they played a good game, just couldn't quite get it done, the boys are trying, etc etc.

XxrF1At.jpg

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Kovy vs Kessel

I am sure the $6.8m man will do something constructive tonight. I can feel it.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Team put out the wrong lineup again....

OEL is in for Ness and paired with Lyubushkin.

Heeter just said on the radio that Kuemper “didn’t feel right” after the morning skate. Doesn’t sound like it’s reeeeal bad like everyone wants to think. But YMMV.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

Heeter just said on the radio that Kuemper “didn’t feel right” after the morning skate. Doesn’t sound like it’s reeeeal bad like everyone wants to think. But YMMV.
Was it while watching game tape that he started "not feeling right"?

Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Demerits to Goose and Chych on that play.

Same old story.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario

I will take this as positive, as Kuemper knows he's just not ready to play just yet.

........and f***. Down 1-0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->