GDT: Game 58: Coyotes @ Canadiens - 5:00pm (AZ) - FSA+ - Will The Real Coyotes PLEASE Stand Up?? Edition

Discussion in 'Arizona Coyotes' started by TheLegend, Feb 10, 2020.

1. We're doing some testing. Please do not adjust your set.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. rt

rt Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I'm telling ya. I want everyone to watch him tonight. Watch what he does. When he gains the zone with possession, without fail he will:

1. Get angled off to the corner, rather than going to the net &
    2. No-look pass to the slot &
    3. Turn the puck over because nobody was there but the other opposing blueliner &
    4. Escape any and all physical contact in the process

Zone entry wasted. And now he's behind the play. Every. Single. Time.

2. AZviaNJ

AZviaNJ @AZviaNJviaNY

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Chayka pulled the trigger too quickly on the Keller contract. IF, they're able to sign Hall, they could've played hardball with Keller in RFA negotiations (who had no leverage) with trading him being an option. Now, it's hoping he can figure it out....but he's small, quick but not necessarily fast (you never see him blowing around a Dman) and hockey IQ doesn't appear to be as special as we all hoped after his rookie season.

Ultra Mega Chychrun likes this.
  3. rt

rt Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I didn’t see him do it once last night lol

4. Jamieh

Jamieh Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Maybe he read your post here!!! Hell no wonder he looks fragile after reading all of our thoughts.

5. Grimes

Grimes HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I didn't either, he was actually driving to the center of the ice a couple times, and when playing the boards was more aggressive. His two way play is slightly underrated. Kid can backcheck, strip pucks and sometimes can cause havoc along the boards. Problem is he isn't consistent in doing this. I actually think he has to carry his line defensively which is probably not what he should be doing.

Speaking of Keller's line, they need to take Hino off it and potentially sit him or drop him down a line. He has been hesitating with his decision making which has lead to bad plays and turnovers. Once Hayton returns he should center Keller and Schmaltz but I'd love to see the following on Thursday, especially against a weaker team where we can experiment with the lines a little.
    Hall-Dvo-Garland
    Crouse-Schmaltz-Keller
    Fischer-Stepan-Kessel
    Soda-Richie-Hino

If handedness is an issues flip Fischer and Soda and move Hino to LW on the 4th. Either way I think Schmaltz and Keller can create enough offense on their own that a grindier player should supplement their line while also giving them more shelter in the defensive zone. Hell, Soda has looked a little more refreshed you could try him centering the 2nd line until Hayton arrives.

Canis Latrans likes this.
  6. Neighborhood Coyote

Neighborhood Coyote Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I even think the argument could be made that Keller is actually a bit slow in the foot... at least this season and last. Couple of data points to that: Look at his ASG performance in the fastest skater last year. Also, maybe there was a reason he has done well with Stepan on his line... they seem skate around the same speed.

I don't even know if I consider him to be agile, either. Garland is agile... Keller is ok? He can be shifty but that's not the same as making quick cuts one direction and then the other.

I haven't tried to watch that closely in terms of Keller's skating so maybe someone else out there has a better eye for it? Maybe something to see going forward. Like you said... I never see him skating around a Dman. I could be wrong on my assessment on his speed since I haven't paid a ton of attention to that until I notice him getting caught by backcheckers.

7. Fuhrious

Fuhrious HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Keller barely had a chance to do anything last night... His 12:40 TOI was second lowest for forwards above only Fischer. He's presumably languishing in RT's doghouse from the recent comments about "a handful of noncontributors". Too bad fellow passenger Kessel is still getting 18 minutes a game to include OT extra man time alongside Hall...

8. XX

XX Sticky Icky Icky

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Sounds just like Dino Dave and 'his guys'

Ride the 21 year old with an 8 year contract to the point where he can't think straight but Kessel can commit murder every shift and never get disciplined for it. It's like Tocchet learned all of the wrong things from his previous coaching experiences.

They'll end up trading Keller for pennies on the dollar to a team that knows how to play 5v5 and he'll put up a PPG.

Ghostface Keller likes this.
  9. Fuhrious

Fuhrious HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    You read my my mind, I was just wishing I had wrapped my post up by speculating roughly 6 months before Keller becomes the next Domi "malcontent" and ends up getting dumped for 2020 model Galchenyuk.

The Circle of Life, Coyotes Edition

_Del_ and Ghostface Keller like this.
  10. The Feckless Puck

The Feckless Puck Registered Loser

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    ...for three games, until the other teams figure out how he plays in the system and adapt.