GDT: Game 58: Avs vs Blues | 1 PM MT | February 16, 2019

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avs didn't play bad at all and had their chances. Allen was great for the Blues today.

We got the full Barrie adventure. Good early on and created chances when jumping into the play. Then also horrific at times and playing a role in a goal and chances against.

Something needs to be done about the PP.
I think Barrie was a tad better offencively, but was a disaster defencively compared to what you mention here.

While that's not on him, I do believe the only strategic plan he has in the offensive zone is to get the puck in deep, battle for it, get it back to the point and get shots.

The Avs aren't a creative hockey team.
You can say that a million times over, we either get...

- A grinder goal (Toninato, Soderberg, etc.)
- A cross ice one-timer (MacKinnon to Rantanen or vice-versa)
- A Landeskog tip

That's it.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Honestly, the best for this team is probably to tank. Sell off a few players and get a better pick. Have a massive influx of young players come in next year, hopefully surrounded by a few good UFAs, to wash out the bad aftertaste of this season.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Could you imagine if Jost had done the smart thing and stayed for a 2nd NCAA year. Could've had a Makar esque season rounding out his game (strength and skating) while also gaining confidence.

Instead we have this...
I don't really buy the whole "playing too early ruined him" narrative. Some players just don't do well in the NHL. He was 10th in a weaker draft year.

In college, he was a great playmaker, who played down low. In the NHL, he's nearly useless down low, and the competition is a lot better.

He hasn't even been good at simple things, like skating with the puck.

He's just not likely going to pan out.

Maybe he becomes a good 2w, if we can get a legit 2c who can help him along.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Could you imagine if Jost had done the smart thing and stayed for a 2nd NCAA year. Could've had a Makar esque season rounding out his game (strength and skating) while also gaining confidence.

Instead we have this...
Makar had those characteristics prior to NCAA though. Jost has been slower and weaker than many of his peers dating back to Junior A.

He definitely could have used another year in college but I still don’t know how much that really would have done for him.

Reactions: KingSizeKirby

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio

Instead we have this...

I like to imagine Sakic meant to say Charlie McAvoy, but somehow what came out was Tyson Jost instead. :sarcasm:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

Instead we have this...
Eh, I don't really buy it anymore. I used to be quite high on Jost, but I don't see how another year of college would've made him significantly faster.

Reactions: Arcade Fire

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I don't really buy the whole "playing too early ruined him" narrative. Some players just don't do well in the NHL. He was 10th in a weaker draft year.

In college, he was a great playmaker, who played down low. In the NHL, he's nearly useless down low, and the competition is a lot better.

He hasn't even been good at simple things, like skating with the puck.

He's just not likely going to pan out.

Maybe he becomes a good 2w, if we can get a legit 2c who can help him along.
I think people are mistaking his lack of confidence for lack if skill and smarts. He just seems to have a similar problem that Duchene had albeit with less skill. His problems are in his own head. If he can regain his confidence he'll be able to make decisions faster and be more aggresive and use his hands and instincts alot more.

That said if they continue putting him in bad situations or situations where he is overmatched he won't have a shot at regaining his instincts and assertiveness.

Reactions: AvsFan29

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Makar had those characteristics prior to NCAA though. Jost has been slower and weaker than many of his peers dating back to Junior A.

He definitely could have used another year in college but I still don’t know how much that really would have done for him.
Jost has to play a cerebral game like Pavelski to be successfull imo. So giving him proper conditions to gain confidence and work on that area would have been beneficial imo.

Reactions: Bender

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
This season depresses me. To be 'on top of the world' and then to come crashing down like a bag of wet potatoes... it sucks ass
Remember back in November when McGuire was gushing about the Avs on NBC about how we were potential cup contenders, how electric the building was again and how 'hockey is back in the state of Colorado' ? Good times.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Remember back in November when McGuire was gushing about the Avs on NBC about how we were potential cup contenders, how electric the building was again and how 'hockey is back in the state of Colorado' ? Good times.
This team legit cannot take a compliment. Anytime someone compliments them it goes to their head and they end up losing. Anytime people doubt them THATS when they play their best. This team is incapable of playing well when expectations are placed on them.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

It would have maintained his trade value at least.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
I haven’t completely given up on Jost, but I can’t envision him ever being much more than a decent 3rd liner, or a very marginal 2nd liner. And to even reach that level, he’ll probably need a year or two in the AHL. Odds aren’t good that he ever pans out though.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I think it´s safe to say we traded the wrong person in O´Reilly. Should´ve been Duchene back then.

And Jost? Yikes.... :oops:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->