GDT: Game 57: Coyotes @ Sharks - 8:30 PM - FSAZ - Late Night Hockey

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
Fun game to watch, I'm glad I stayed up for it. Nice to get 2 regulation wins on that back to back. I liked what I saw from a number of players tonight. Domi's fire was great, and I also thought OEL was good defensively. The thing I liked most about this game was the push back in the third. The team was frustrated and not getting calls after 3 straight penalties in the back half of the second. That was great to see, far too passive for far too long.

Reactions: Name Nameless

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
Sharks and their fans are whiny little crybabies. The Coyotes got screwed by officiating three times as bad. Yet the Sharks and their tank couldn't keep from crying. Surprised there wasn't a drowning. I've always said - for YEARS that Kuzari is the worst official in the NHL by 100 miles.
I just spent some time in the Sharks thread (our old buddy hinterland is there now for some reason) and it was delicious. I could have cured a ham with all the salt over there. So much gnashing of teeth, it was awesome; there was even a little relocation bitching to top it all off, awesome. (chef's kiss)

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
Watch some hockey kids, if one team is singled out for 3 penalties in a row, deserved or not, the whistles will be going away for a while unless something egregious is done. In fact, don't be shocked if a make up call is made. That's just the way it works.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
What makes OEL worth more than Goligoski money is his lethal goal scoring ability. There are some other things but that's basically the biggest difference. That he's not shown that this year basically at all is the source of the consternation for me. It's his biggest game changing asset and something the current team desperately misses.

Not exactly the same situation, but I've been thinking about Jovo and how he was perhaps a bit overpaid on this team. Yet without him for about 3 years there the defense would have been a completely tire fire. Overpaying a defenseman isn't the worst thing in the world I think is the conclusion. Overpay a winger? Bad idea. There are also some soft benefits to signing him. Remember everyone flipping out in the Domi thread about keeping talent? Well OEL is one of those homegrown pieces and being able to keep him is an important stabilizing force.

But I'm also expecting an underwhelming OEL return in a deal. If I thought we'd get more I might have a different take.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Hey a win. And the sharks did something to make me not like them. Weird game. I watched some of the third, fell asleep halfway through though.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think Cousins stole Archilbalds job but archibald might steal paniks. Then again there's Rinaldo who's been good.

If the Cousins, Archibalds and Rinaldo's of the world stand out on your team, you know you are in trouble.

Reactions: Yandover and rt

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
If the Cousins, Archibalds and Rinaldo's of the world stand out on your team, you know you are in trouble.

I have no trouble with Cousins, Archibald and Rinaldo playing excellent games. Actually, it makes me happy. :-D

Reactions: kbay

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
I think all are remaining GDTs should get sticky.

Many boards have their GDTs sticky, totally pointless IMHO. They float up high on the first page anyways. Of course, having them sticky for the Yotes makes extra sense. And it obviously worked :laugh:

Reactions: SniperHF

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
What I was getting at, if these players stand out, what does that say about the rest of the team?

I got your point, but then again: Having them playing excellent without the rest of the team slumping is the best. That was my point.:D

cobra427

May 6, 2012
What I was getting at, if these players stand out, what does that say about the rest of the team?
It says if you play harder, you can produce and get minutes. I think that is a good message. Clearly their are more talented guys that should be getting more minutes then these 3, but they aren't for production, hard work reasons.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
OEL has disappeared again. Invisible tonight and last night. Do we want an 8mil roller coaster?

I didn't get to watch the game, but 2 wins, 23 min avg TOI... surely he can't have been that bad right?

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
OEL has disappeared again. Invisible tonight and last night. Do we want an 8mil roller coaster?

To be fair too, both games were wins where the team only gave up 1 goal. Good goaltending, yea... but also not horrible defensively, I'd say. I would definitely like to see him more involved offensively though.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
On the game though... It felt intense for me watching that third period. Refs were whistle happy to start the game and then decided to put those bad boys away for the night. Great to see Keller even get a bit chippy. Had Couture losing his mind haha!

On Wedgewood getting run over. I have a hard time seeing that as totally accidental. At minimum, the player did nothing to stop what was going to happen so I'm not a big fan of that play.

Good on the Yotes for getting the W... gutsy win is a good way to put it.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
[...]

On Wedgewood getting run over. I have a hard time seeing that as totally accidental. At minimum, the player did nothing to stop what was going to happen so I'm not a big fan of that play.

Good on the Yotes for getting the W... gutsy win is a good way to put it.

I have deleted my recording now, but I think Hjalmarson pushed the Shark into Wedgewood.

So agree on the win though.

Let the other teams tank. Learn to win instead. Good plan.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It says if you play harder, you can produce and get minutes. I think that is a good message. Clearly their are more talented guys that should be getting more minutes then these 3, but they aren't for production, hard work reasons.

Exactly. These guys have less talent, but a better work ethic. Why? How do you solve this problem?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Exactly. These guys have less talent, but a better work ethic. Why? How do you solve this problem?
Simplify your game as a player, and as a coach, put players in a position to succeed. Those 3 players have simple games.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
3-0-1 in past 4, next 7 at home against Mtl, Edm, Cgy, Ana, Van, Minn and Ott.

Guess who's drafting 7th again!
:nod:

Reactions: Yandover

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad