GDT: Game 57: Coyotes @ Bruins - 1PM - FSAZ

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Fair, but how do you fix it? Those players are rare in today’s game and even more rarely traded.

Edit: I’m talking skilled, physical players like Tkachuk or Wilson who can play, not meatheads like Lucic or Clifford.

It sure seems come playoff time the best teams have them. Some teams dont have just one guy, for example the Blues don't really but they have a pack of guys that play a more physical brand of hockey with skill...pack mentality. We have to many weak spots to play like that.

I get it...not a easy fix but it still is important to address in todays hockey when the games really matter. Im not sure Chayka gets that.

I don't no, just venting. I would prefer a team I'm rooting for to be more abrasive so even when losing I could respect the effort.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
The Yotes... By technicality, responded to the dirty hit. But it felt more like "aww geez come on man that's not very nice".

They just never seem to get really upset. Whether it's a team mate almost losing his livelyhood, having bad calls against, or especially losing. All seems like it's an inconvenience at worst to them.

As it's been said... Like to at least see some real fire and pushback at least. Their attitude bleeds into all aspects of the game. They don't have fire and heart so they turtle when up in the game and stop caring really easily. At least it seems that way to me.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The Yotes... By technicality, responded to the dirty hit. But it felt more like "aww geez come on man that's not very nice".

They just never seem to get really upset. Whether it's a team mate almost losing his livelyhood, having bad calls against, or especially losing. All seems like it's an inconvenience at worst to them.

As it's been said... Like to at least see some real fire and pushback at least. Their attitude bleeds into all aspects of the game. They don't have fire and heart so they turtle when up in the game and stop caring really easily. At least it seems that way to me.

The veteran core is:
Stepan
Kessel
Goligoski (1)
OEL
Soderberg
Richardson (14)
Hjalmarsson (1)
Demers (5)
Grabner

The only guys who hit are: OEL, Richardson, Demers
The only guys who fight are: Richardson, Demers

You aren't imagining things. They're baby poo soft. What little physicality the team has comes from the young guys.

Looking at it, it's not really a wonder why there's no leadership.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Hit Leaders

Crouse - 161
Fischer - 119
Lyubushkin - 111
OEL - 104
Goligoski - 71
Demers - 68
Chychrun - 63
Soderberg - 63
Richardson - 53
Hinostroza - 39

Yes, we're soft...btw, Hall has 8 hits in 21 games with the Yotes, Kessel has 11 hits all season and Schmaltz has 8. You put Kessel/Schmaltz together and you get Keller's totals. He only has 5 or so fewer hits than Garland.

We're certainly not built for the playoffs, that is for sure...and apparently not meant to compete to get into the playoffs, as when the games got tougher, we've folded...just very, very sad!

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Hit Leaders

Crouse - 161
Fischer - 119
Lyubushkin - 111
OEL - 104

Crouse has played 50 games, Fischer 45 and Bush 35. So Crouse and Bush fairly even per game, then.

Surprised with the hit-count on OEL. Is that mostly very friendly hits?

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Sadly I couldn't watch the game last night. The score was closer than I expected honestly... Not intended as a knock on the Coyotes so much as the impressive regular season Boston is putting together. Disappointing to hear/read the PP was such a wet noodle on the 5 minute major, as I have to imagine that could have been a huge momentum shift in the game had the Coyotes capitalized.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Sadly I couldn't watch the game last night. The score was closer than I expected honestly... Not intended as a knock on the Coyotes so much as the impressive regular season Boston is putting together. Disappointing to hear/read the PP was such a wet noodle on the 5 minute major, as I have to imagine that could have been a huge momentum shift in the game had the Coyotes capitalized.

Yeah, getting one in a 5 minutes major is not enough. That should count as 40% or something, not 100%.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Stupid emotional response against the Kings buried this team in its only meaningful playoff run. If there is a genuine intent to injur, some of the reaction I'm reading would be warranted. Until that time, I'm fine with a team that keeps to their game, plays with skill, speed and smothering D. The real problem is the lack of consistency of the latter.

AJ171181

Sep 27, 2019
Bochum
The real problem is you got from 1st out of playoffs in 7 weeks and you got 2 wins out of ten (?) games.

Take this last chance and fire the coaching staff, our .points are like a rebuilder,

.... again the 6467!st

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The real problem is you got from 1st out of playoffs in 7 weeks and you got 2 wins out of ten (?) games.

Take this last chance and fire the coaching staff, our .points are like a rebuilder,

.... again the 6467!st
Chicken, or egg?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
There are teams churning through below average goalies because they're desperate and have no internal options yet. A team like NJ would do really well to add Raanta to backup Blackwood, for example.
No they won't, Raanta is proven to be injury prone. We will have to buy him out, sweeten the deal or retain.

Reactions: Fuhrious

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
There are teams churning through below average goalies because they're desperate and have no internal options yet. A team like NJ would do really well to add Raanta to backup Blackwood, for example.
I would have to imagine that Raanta's name came up in the Hall discussions, and it stands to reason NJ was not interested. That was before this recent flurry of injuries. I cant fathom a reason they would want him now, when they apparently didnt then.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
No they won't, Raanta is proven to be injury prone. We will have to buy him out, sweeten the deal or retain.

Buying out is pointless, savings are 1.3 mill next year, with a negative .67 mill the year after. Just waiving and burying him next year gives a cap-saving of around 1.1 mill next year, and gone. And some might even claim him, even if you don't think so. Also, if he continues to be hurt of some reason next year, salary goes into the LTIR-pool. And if he isn't hurt he is a good goalie. Don't know if the real dollars are insured some way, that should be an additional reason for not buying out if they are.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hit Leaders

Crouse - 161
Fischer - 119
Lyubushkin - 111
OEL - 104
Goligoski - 71
Demers - 68
Chychrun - 63
Soderberg - 63
Richardson - 53
Hinostroza - 39

Yes, we're soft...btw, Hall has 8 hits in 21 games with the Yotes, Kessel has 11 hits all season and Schmaltz has 8. You put Kessel/Schmaltz together and you get Keller's totals. He only has 5 or so fewer hits than Garland.

We're certainly not built for the playoffs, that is for sure...and apparently not meant to compete to get into the playoffs, as when the games got tougher, we've folded...just very, very sad!
We have been soft for two years, Chayka has had plenty of time to find some physical players, but RT wanted flash and dash, like most on this board and now you are seeing why you need physicality. I mentioned this earlier and I got flamed and all I heard was "this is the new NHL, speed is what counts not size". If you watch Hall, not only does he hit, he takes a hit to make a play.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Buying out is pointless, savings are 1.3 mill next year, with a negative .67 mill the year after. Just waiving and burying him next year gives a cap-saving of around 1.1 mill next year, and gone. And some might even claim him, even if you don't think so. Also, if he continues to be hurt of some reason next year, salary goes into the LTIR-pool. And if he isn't hurt he is a good goalie. Don't know if the real dollars are insured some way, that should be an additional reason for not buying out if they are.
This is why we likely have to keep him as an over paid often injured back up, we are stuck. I was not a fan of this contract, it had risk because he was unproven as a 50+ game starter and had an injury history.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We have been soft for two years, Chayka has had plenty of time to find some physical players, but RT wanted flash and dash, like most on this board and now you are seeing why you need physicality. I mentioned this earlier and I got flamed and all I heard was "this is the new NHL, speed is what counts not size". If you watch Hall, not only does he hit, he takes a hit to make a play.
I don't really think the physicality is the biggest issue. Schmaltz/Keller/Kessel are not D first or hard forechecking players. They don't pressure enough on the forecheck. Garland isn't physical but he is a puck hound. Hall is bigger but he is a puck hound too.

I think Kessel/Keller/schmaltz should have a sole focus on D right now, specifically the forecheck. This will create turnovers and sudden chances they can score on. This is how Garland/Hall are getting points. Scoring off the rush for any team is few and far between. Those 3 players have to find other ways to contribute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad