Post-Game Talk: GAME #57: Canucks 2 vs. Sharks 7: Wow! What a debacle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Didn’t have the chance to watch this one in full but every team has games like this. It’s really no different than 2-1 loss in the standings and I think this will be a great learning experience for DiPietro. The fake outrage over him playing in this game is not a surprising. If he pitches a shutout which could’ve also happened, everyone would call Benning a genius. On to the next one, still lots of hockey to be played and only 2 points out of a playoff spot. No matter what happens from here on out this will have been a successful season since we are so close to being a playoff team way ahead of schedule and if we miss we will draft some excellent players and become that much better in the future. Praise Benning.

Wow.

Don’t ever put down those rose coloured glasses.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Well, that was a debacle. Jim Benning wears 100% of this mess. Just an embarrassing situation.

- Dipietro should never, ever in a million years have been dressing for a game right now and this wasn’t his fault. But you can see how massively far this player is from the NHL and how undersized he is for his position. Have been shaking my head at the ‘better prospect than Demko’ posts here over the last year and this is why. Will be in tough to be an average AHL goalie next year for Utica.

- MacEwen was very good in (laughably) limited minutes. Good showing from him - wish he would have gotten clear on that late chance where Dillon made a diving play to strip the puck.

- Tanev-Gudbranson experiment needs to end, now. Well, Gudbranson with anyone experiment needs to end but having Tanev play on his off side with that sack of crap is just a miserable situation.

- Hutton has been excellent but did not have a strong game today.

- Gudbranson doing nothing about Kane attacking Stecher and then taking a pathetic selfish slashing penalty later sums up this player perfectly.

- did Goldobin play?

- Pettersson really the only forward doing anything again. That pass on our first goal was unreal.

- Horvat just looks exhausted.

- Granlund sucks. Such a terrible skater.

He is 2 inches shorter than the NHL average for goalies. So no he is not to small for the NHL. The loss may actually help Dipietro become a better player. He is a confident player and he will get better.

Reactions: HockeyMog

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Didn’t have the chance to watch this one in full but every team has games like this. It’s really no different than 2-1 loss in the standings and I think this will be a great learning experience for DiPietro. The fake outrage over him playing in this game is not a surprising. If he pitches a shutout which could’ve also happened, everyone would call Benning a genius.
Are you a real person? This is insane.

Reactions: jd22

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks basically wrote this game off....even with a healthy Markstrom they'd have lost anyway. Reality is Canucks really aren't anywhere near being a playoff team with their current blueline. Surely even Benning must have figured this out by now. The teams they're supposedly chasing--Blues and Wild--are light years ahead in terms of the d-men they can put out there.

The Canucks goalie situation is comical. Stuck with making an emergency recall of a junior goaltender and then being forced to actually play him. Really all on Jimbo. Basically a hockey ops fiasco.

Sutter gone again, so that takes him basically out of the trade equation. So Gaudette comes up. Maybe it's time for the youth airlift. I suspect the Canucks will continue to drift back in the pack in the Western Conference. Cue up the lottery balls debate.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Life without out Markstrom and it's pretty bleak. Loss is not on DePietro although he wasn't very good. But without Markstrom's finger in the dyke a lot of the warts were badly exposed. THIS IS NOT A GOOD TEAM. Indeed it should be near the bottom when you look at the personnel but outstanding goal tending can hide a lot.

Good

MacEwen - looked better in a couple of shifts than many have looked all season. One of the most frustrating aspects of this game was how Green, even when the game was well out of hand, had him on the bench so we could watch a few more shifts of Granlund mincing around or Goldobin pathetically chasing the play. Saw enough to get encouraged but also saw some of the rough edges. Needs a chance to play but unlikely while the Canucks are so-called competing for a a playoff spot.

Pettersson - did what he could with all the plumbers around him

Bad (ahh... so many)

Gudbranson - effort on the first goal was horrid. All he had to do was take his man. Instead batted at the puck on the stick of a player that another Canuck was already checking. Puck comes loose and the player, that Gudbranson should have had, gets it and pass it directly in front of net. Just one of many bad plays. Looked listless and disinterested at times. Wish you could Motte's heart, or anyone else's for that matter, in Guddy.

Biega - all the hustle and work ethic in the world couldn't make up for the clumsy and mostly futile efforts by Biega to get the puck out of his zone. Had real long shifts b/c he was so trapped in his end.

Hutton - brutal beginning to the game. Got standing around watching and not moving his feet. Looked gassed all game after being over played on the road trip. Knocked the puck stupidly into his own net, made horrible pinches and gapped miserably at his blue line. You do wonder if Hutton really has it at this level. Sometimes you see real progress and than at others slips back into incompetence.

Virtanen - out on his own island. Drifting in and out of play and way out of sync with teammates. Team, in general, was dysfunctional and made so mainly by the play of the Sharks and when that happens Virtanen just ends up doing random, individual stuff.

Levio - fumbled away pass after pass and messed up opportunities set up by Pettersson. Usually not bad along the boards but got schooled in this game. Looks like Levio can't sustain any consistent level of play.

Eriksson - if any player symbolizes the pathetic nature of the Canucks in the Benning years it's Louie. When you look at how well put together the Sharks are and then reflect on the sad way the Canucks have been structured (like 6 mill for garbage like Eriksson and so much more) you get the contrast needed to show how bad the Benning regime has been.

Goldobin - Canucks ultimately never gave up much to get him but any idea that this was some big TD pickup is becoming more and more remote. Can never seem to make a play at speed and is forced off the puck with such ease. I have preached patience with this player but that has to be wearing thin. He is getting worse as the season goes on - not better. Was lousy in this game.

Ugly

Granlund - enough already. Guy can't compete with legit NHL players and that's damn obvious. Why is he still here? I've never been a big Gaunce fan but he is definitely better that the wretched Granlund (and Boucher is probably better as well). What the hell is Green thinking (or not thinking really). My guess is Benning is still trying to make it seem like he won a trade.

If this game doesn't convince every fan and Canuck management that they must not be buyers at the deadline nothing will. But like every dateline you wonder what misadventure the Cancuks will stumble into.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Yup and I said exactly that.

But I also don’t rate him highly as a prospect.
I'm in the exact opposite boat.

But either way, a one game simple at this point should not be used to make a point.

Reactions: EP40

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Cause we had Demko, unlucky for him he got injured.
That's why we traded Nilsson..you expect Demko to play in the AHL forever?
Come on now..

I expected him to finish the year in Utica and for Nilsson to finish out his contract here. Why the big rush to get Demko up here when he's already had a bit of a rough season? The only thing I can think is that perhaps Nilsson demanded a trade (which would be understandable) or maybe Benning and Green are morons...

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
After failing for 5 weeks to sign a back up... any back up, DiPietro makes his first NHL regular season appearance about 3-4 years too early.... and it blows up in management's face.

This "every one around the NHL is going to be talking about this tomorrow" debacle ranks up there with Tallon forgetting to send out his Christmas cards and the Flames forgetting to save enough cap space to ice a whole team.

Cousin Tangibles

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
giphy.webp

This certainly takes on new meaning.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I expected him to finish the year in Utica and for Nilsson to finish out his contract here. Why the big rush to get Demko up here when he's already had a bit of a rough season? The only thing I can think is that perhaps Nilsson demanded a trade (which would be understandable) or maybe Benning and Green are morons...

Nilsson was not cutting it here, rather bring up Demko now.
Oh well, it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->