Post-Game Talk: GAME #57: Canucks 2 vs. Sharks 7: Wow! What a debacle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If you were Dipietro, how do you go on after a game like this? Kid must have told his family and friends he was going to start only to get demolished on national tv.

Poor kid thrown to the Sharks. Not going to be good for his confidence.

My hot take - I think DiPietro is going to be absolutely fine.

He just got to realize his dream of playing in the best league in the world. He stopped shots fired by some of the best players in the world. Sure he lost, sure he got lit up - but no goalie gets to that level without having been lit up a few times. DiPietro has had far, far harder knocks in his life than giving up goals in a hockey game. I guarantee that all this game is going to do to DiPietro is make him hungry for more. He showed up, he tried his best, he kept battling when the game was out of reach, and he will learn from it.

None of that excuses the fact that this situation should never, ever have occurred in the first place, and only played out this way because of blundering incompetence from management. This was entirely preventable, and for an organization that keeps crowing about playing meaningful games to gift away two points to a divisional rival because they couldn’t Ice an NHL goaltender is pathetic.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Now what are they going to do on the back to back if Markstrom isn't good to go? Dipietro in both games? This is just ridiculous, unacceptable, peewee level management.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Can't playing apex legends lmao
The only BR game I actually like

Someone needs to be the hero and call them out. All the calls are going to be in the context of the game, not the management gaffe.

Very important that they get trashed on 1040 and the vitriol is directed towards them rather than just the team.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Now what are they going to do on the back to back if Markstrom isn't good to go? Dipietro in both games? This is just ridiculous, unacceptable, peewee level management.
Especially a team that’s in a playoff race and s management that wants to take a run at it . They throw the kid to the wolves and put the entire team in a tough spot

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Canucks need to respond. This is Gudbransons time to shine. He needs to take out Burns long term in a clean injury to the neck or something. I dont want to encourage an injury but this is embarrassing. Yeah yeah blame Benning for the goalie situation but doesnt mean the Sharks have to be such classless yahoos. Send a message. Gudbranson and Roussell this is their time to make the Sharks never forget this game for all the wrong reasons for them

Roussell is doing his bit IMHO...

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
time to find a capable nhl goalie. depending on how long markstrom and demko are out for. this is all on benning.
Demko is.skating and if Markstrom has a.bug as was one radio report do you wait a.day ?
If it's a longer term thing yes but not until.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
If you were Dipietro, how do you go on after a game like this? Kid must have told his family and friends he was going to start only to get demolished on national tv.

Poor kid thrown to the Sharks. Not going to be good for his confidence.
Hot take
He has definitely experienced worse loss in his young career, he’ll be fine

Reactions: B-rock

Michael Dal Swolle

Dec 15, 2013
My hot take - I think DiPietro is going to be absolutely fine.

He just got to realize his dream of playing in the best league in the world. He stopped shots fired by some of the best players in the world. Sure he lost, sure he got lit up - but no goalie gets to that level without having been lit up a few times. DiPietro has had far, far harder knocks in his life than giving up goals in a hockey game. I guarantee that all this game is going to do to DiPietro is make him hungry for more. He showed up, he tried his best, he kept battling when the game was out of reach, and he will learn from it.

None of that excuses the fact that this situation should never, ever have occurred in the first place, and only played out this way because of blundering incompetence from management. This was entirely preventable, and for an organization that keeps crowing about playing meaningful games to gift away two points to a divisional rival because they couldn’t Ice an NHL goaltender is pathetic.

Agreed 100%. DiPietro handled himself well after the WJCs and seems like a mature enough kid to deal with it.

My concern, though, is if Markstrom ends up on the shelf for longer than a couple games. DiPietro didn't look ready to play at this level, and if he ends up getting blown out on multiple occasions this year I start to worry about the lasting impact on his confidence.

Reactions: geebaan

Throwback

Sep 12, 2014
Well I'm 0-2 when I go to games against the Sharks :thumbd:. Last time against the Sharks was game 2 2013 playoffs. Glad MacEwan had a good game though.

Edit: probably last time I'll see Thornton play in person too. Big milestone for him today. What a career.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well, that was a debacle. Jim Benning wears 100% of this mess. Just an embarrassing situation.

- Dipietro should never, ever in a million years have been dressing for a game right now and this wasn’t his fault. But you can see how massively far this player is from the NHL and how undersized he is for his position. Have been shaking my head at the ‘better prospect than Demko’ posts here over the last year and this is why. Will be in tough to be an average AHL goalie next year for Utica.

- MacEwen was very good in (laughably) limited minutes. Good showing from him - wish he would have gotten clear on that late chance where Dillon made a diving play to strip the puck.

- Tanev-Gudbranson experiment needs to end, now. Well, Gudbranson with anyone experiment needs to end but having Tanev play on his off side with that sack of crap is just a miserable situation.

- Hutton has been excellent but did not have a strong game today.

- Gudbranson doing nothing about Kane attacking Stecher and then taking a pathetic selfish slashing penalty later sums up this player perfectly.

- did Goldobin play?

- Pettersson really the only forward doing anything again. That pass on our first goal was unreal.

- Horvat just looks exhausted.

- Granlund sucks. Such a terrible skater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad