Post-Game Talk: GAME 56 - Marchand wins it in OT - B's finally beat Colorado in Boston

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
JFK in his last 7-8 games before his demotion looked like twice the player Frederic is at the NHL level right now.

But this management team values "heaviness" over talent so they made the switch. Now JFK is injured and Frederic belongs back in the AHL.

How does this management team value “heaviness” over talent?

I would agree with you in 2010 and with PC at the helm, but it’s pretty obvious they don’t put a stress on that old school Bruins heavy hitting of the past.

How many players on this current team seem heavy to you?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’m not sure what JDB is doing out there now.

I’ve been saying this for a lot of this year, but he seems to think the goal is to skate as fast as he can at all times. He’s not making smart hockey plays and is skating by plays that are there.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
How does this management team value “heaviness” over talent?

I would agree with you in 2010 and with PC at the helm, but it’s pretty obvious they don’t put a stress on that old school Bruins heavy hitting of the past.

How many players on this current team seem heavy to you?

That's far too long a post to make right now.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
That's far too long a post to make right now.

I’m guessing your reasoning is something along the lines of frustration of not getting star players, so therefore the FO “doesn’t care about talent”.

Until you explain, I can only speculate. On the surface, I think you’re wrong, but maybe I’ll change my mind with your explanation. But given how this team drafts, and the current roster, I see no reason to believe that DS and co are going for heaviness over talent.

I questioned the Backes signing partly because it was completely off the beaten path of targeting pure talent almost exclusively.

All of this is completely separate from anyone’s opinion as to whether or not that talent, or the overall FO strategy, is working.

Edit: and also, you thought JFK looked good? I don’t think I’ve heard a single other poster on this board state that opinion. Guess we are all undervaluing talent.

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I think he has had post concussion issues tbh. This is the first game all season where he played like he did last season.

Definitely a real possibility.

I wouldn’t be opposed to him going back to the wrecking ball style that he was showing during the OTT playoff series a couple seasons back.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
4 points in about 27 hours makes for a nice weekend,

Now, hopefully DS can get some help up front and they can head into the playoffs strong.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I’m guessing your reasoning is something along the lines of frustration of not getting star players, so therefore the FO “doesn’t care about talent”.

Until you explain, I can only speculate. On the surface, I think you’re wrong, but maybe I’ll change my mind with your explanation. But given how this team drafts, and the current roster, I see no reason to believe that DS and co are going for heaviness over talent.

I questioned the Backes signing partly because it was completely off the beaten path of targeting pure talent almost exclusively.

All of this is completely separate from anyone’s opinion as to whether or not that talent, or the overall FO strategy, is working.

My take has nothing to do with that, at all.

Go look at the list of players signed, claimed, and traded for by Sweeney as GM. And there is a definite trend towards "heaviness" and "grit" and "200 ft. games" and "blue-collar mentality" and "Bruins-type" players and all kinds of other foolishness that infects their attitude towards team-building.

Reactions: EON and Estlin

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
My take has nothing to do with that, at all.

Go look at the list of players signed, claimed, and traded for by Sweeney as GM. And there is a definite trend towards "heaviness" and "grit" and "200 ft. games" and "blue-collar mentality" and "Bruins-type" players and all kinds of other foolishness that infects their attitude towards team-building.

The team is one of the smaller ones in the league by average height. Especially if you eliminate the outlier in Chara.

I do agree that the forward group is subpar in overall talent, but I completely disagree that it’s a result of the FO leaning on heaviness.

And really, you pushing the notion that JFK was looking good (or at least better than Frederic) indicates to me that you’ve got quite the agenda yourself. We must have been watching different games because it was pretty well a consensus around here that JFK wasn’t contributing in any positive way.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The team is one of the smaller ones in the league by average height. Especially if you eliminate the outlier in Chara.

I do agree that the forward group is subpar in overall talent, but I completely disagree that it’s a result of the FO leaning on heaviness.

And really, you pushing the notion that JFK was looking good (or at least better than Frederic) indicates to me that you’ve got quite the agenda yourself. We must have been watching different games because it was pretty well a consensus around here that JFK wasn’t contributing in any positive way.

Yeah those 4 points in his last 9 games and even his last two games made a play in each game that directly resulted in Bruins goals scored.

Has Trent Frederic even generated a scoring chance yet?

But he had a fight and rubbed out a couple guys with hits, so he gets to stick around. (and I actually really like Frederic).

I do have an agenda, and that's is this management team has no idea how to construct a forward group in the 2019 version of NHL hockey. And the game since the all-star break have been more than proof positive of that.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Yeah those 4 points in his last 9 games and even his last two games made a play in each game that directly resulted in Bruins goals scored.

But he had a fight and rubbed out a couple guys with hits, so he gets to stick around. (and I actually really like Frederic).

I do have an agenda, and that's is this management team has no idea how to construct a forward group in the 2019 version of NHL hockey. And the game since the all-star break have been more than proof positive of that.

I agree there are problems, but I hardly think it’s a result of management not liking talent and wanting “blue collar” players.

One of the first things Sweeney did was trade “the ultimate Bruin” out of town in Milan Lucic.

Reactions: HumBucker and BMC

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I believe the answer is NO.

Reactions: Blowfish

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

This brass is obsessed w heaviness it would seem up until this summer and I would argue they would take it all day if they could.

JFK was better than Frederic. Moore is better than Miller yet sits when all healthy. Backes has played himself out of the lineup, and I’m not convinced Heinen isn’t being showcased.

Reactions: Estlin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->