GDT: Game # 56 (Final Game) - Ducks @ Wild - 5pm

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
We didn't have a single positive covid test this season either, that's the most important stat of the year

do you think theres any chance that our team was more serious about quarantining leading to worse fitness and results during the year or is that too optimistic

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Am I the only one thinking what's the point of Zegras and Drysdale playing in the contrived AHL playoffs? They are core NHL guys at this point. Not worth the injury risk to me, especially with the short summer.

I think it would be good for their spirit to win some games and learn how play in a pro playoff series but that’s a valid point

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
You know what though all things considered this season wasn’t THAT bad, there are plenty of bright spots that indicate much future success. That’s more than some of the other bottom feeder teams can say. Drysdale and Z showed that they can become bonafide stars in the league. Comtois had a great breakout year and looks like he could be a mainstay of the top 6 for the next decade. Terry displayed potential to do the same. Lundestrom made himself an integral part of the team. As well as the trades we made, while small, have already proven to bear their fruits with Fleury and Volkov both making their impact known. And while their were certainly downsides to the year (No duh) between injuries to core players, losing streaks, lack of impactful progression from Steel and to a lesser extent Jones and a rather crummy year for Gibson I can at least say I’m satisfied with the year if I just look at the pieces of corn in the turd

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
You know what though all things considered this season wasn’t THAT bad, there are plenty of bright spots that indicate much future success. That’s more than some of the other bottom feeder teams can say. Drysdale and Z showed that they can become bonafide stars in the league. Comtois had a great breakout year and looks like he could be a mainstay of the top 6 for the next decade. Terry displayed potential to do the same. Lundestrom made himself an integral part of the team. As well as the trades we made, while small, have already proven to bear their fruits with Fleury and Volkov both making their impact known. And while their were certainly downsides to the year (No duh) between injuries to core players, losing streaks, lack of impactful progression from Steel and to a lesser extent Jones and a rather crummy year for Gibson I can at least say I’m satisfied with the year if I just look at the pieces of corn in the turd
Agree with you if the goal was to rebuild. It wasn't. Management was trying to make the playoffs. Some good things happened along the way, but the rest of that turd is still there. Poor coaching (IMO), failure to acquire future assets at the trade deadline, and Gibson becoming a huge question mark.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Gads, I find myself agreeing with Dirk. It was a horrible season. It could have been better without the injuries, but even then this team was not competitive. There were a few bright spots that bring some hope for the future, but not many. As much as I grumble about how bad the team was, I will watch the playoffs and then look forward to the 21-22 season and hope for better results. I certainly don't expect them to win the Cup next year, but it would be nice to at least be competitive in far more games.

I hope that we get a new general manager and a new coach. I suspect that is not going to happen. BM has a long history with the Ducks, and I doubt that the owners are going to fire him with one year left in his contract. It is easier to let him walk away after his contract expires and let him retire from hockey gracefully. As for a new coach I am not certain that the Ducks want to pay two coaches during this economic time. I view the third year of Eakins contract as a sunk cost, and would rather replace him. Some/all hockey coaches just don't work out at some point. Having seen the issues with Eakins over the past two years it is time to move on.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Am I the only one thinking what's the point of Zegras and Drysdale playing in the contrived AHL playoffs? They are core NHL guys at this point. Not worth the injury risk to me, especially with the short summer.

Yes.

Reactions: Kariya 9

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Tough loss tonight. Miller obviously very emotional, which is sad to see, as you know this is hard for him. A win tonight would have been so sweet.

Why did Backes not play tonight? I briefly saw a small tribute for him, and with him being from Minneapolis, you'd think it'd be a no brainer to get him in the last game. Seems kinda lame?

Tough season, but I'm optimistic about the future. However, some stuff needs to happen before we really have any chance of improving much, and I still think that starts with BM and Eakins.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Horrible barely watchable season
It has to be Murray's last not sure how much more obvious it can get

Yeah if there aren’t major changes this off-season I won’t be a fan of this team moving forward. There needs to be accountability for the last three miserable seasons.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Yeah if there aren’t major changes this off-season I won’t be a fan of this team moving forward. There needs to be accountability for the last three miserable seasons.

I would agree but Barstool will more than likely do what he always does: blame the players and take no responsibility for his performance. I don’t think there will be major improvements until the Ducks have a new GM and that won’t happen until after next season. I have a strong feeling next season will be more of the same. Maybe a little better for the 45 of 82 games Lindholm plays but when he inevitably gets injured like he always does, the team fades.

Reactions: Paul4587

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i wonder if they plan to keep eakins around for another season. just assuming they'll keep him around until the team is ready to contend again and then let him go but who knows

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Thank god this season is finally over. It's been unwatchable. I've tried watching many games, but have almost never managed to stay a full game. This team is soft as butter, rarely plays with any intensity or desperation, and is not talented enough to win on skill. Yeah, I get it's a young team and that there were some bright spots, but I worry we are raising the kids in a losing environment similar to what Oilers was doing for years.

I'd like a fresh start next season. Move on from Bob Murray and Dallas Eakins, as well as the rest of the coaching staff. Trade the veterans for future assets. Sign new veterans on short term contracts, who are good characters, to surround the kids with.

Last edited:

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
I don't know what everyone was expecting this season, but the writing was on the wall for another garbage season at the end of the last one. like, we didn't magically turn into a contender with the addition of Shattenkirk and Hutton.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but we have some dollars coming up available this off season. Perry's cap hit goes from 6.625M to 2M, Rowney could be done for, so could Heinen with Backes and Miller for sure gone. that's 14,058,333 in available cap space before any Getzlaf considerations.

in 22/23 Kesler is off the books fully as well.

we gotta give contracts to Lundestrom, Jones, Steel Comtois, Carrick, Volkov, Getzlaf, Heinen* Welisnki, Mahura, and they're gonna want not insignificant raises, except Getzlaf, who takes a paycut of unknown amounts.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I don't know what everyone was expecting this season, but the writing was on the wall for another garbage season at the end of the last one. like, we didn't magically turn into a contender with the addition of Shattenkirk and Hutton.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but we have some dollars coming up available this off season. Perry's cap hit goes from 6.625M to 2M, Rowney could be done for, so could Heinen with Backes and Miller for sure gone. that's 14,058,333 in available cap space before any Getzlaf considerations.

in 22/23 Kesler is off the books fully as well.

we gotta give contracts to Lundestrom, Jones, Steel Comtois, Carrick, Volkov, Getzlaf, Heinen* Welisnki, Mahura, and they're gonna want not insignificant raises, except Getzlaf, who takes a paycut of unknown amounts.

I didn't think we'd make the playoffs, but in a very weak division on paper to start the year, I thought there was at least a chance if a few veterans could bounce back and a couple of kids could step up. Colorado, Vegas and St. Louis making the postseason seemed like a given, but I had my money on Arizona making it over Minnesota. Regardless, I thought the Ducks would at least be more competitive than they were in such a weak division. Scoring only 11 PP goals on the season is unaccaptable. Frankly, it should be impossible no matter the personel.

Reactions: Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Agree with you if the goal was to rebuild. It wasn't. Management was trying to make the playoffs. Some good things happened along the way, but the rest of that turd is still there. Poor coaching (IMO), failure to acquire future assets at the trade deadline, and Gibson becoming a huge question mark.

This year was a "rebuild" year. All we did this off-season was swapped out D Gudbranson for D Shattenkirk, while losing D Djoos. Mgmt was trying to make the playoffs, but a lot depended upon three things:
a) health
2) youth growth
d) improved special teams​

The season was the second season of the youth movement. Also, factor in this season was the season we'd be fiscally strapped due to Perry's buyout inflation along with incurring Backes' contract, which helped nab a 2020 first round pick.

You have to be lying to yourself to put a spin on this season wasn't a rebuild season just because GM Murray wanted his team to get back into the playoffs. Was there way to the playoffs? Yeah, a slim margin. Everything had to go right to get there. Hell, I predicted before the season started that we would probably be involved in a lot of 1-goal games, hopefully on the winning end. (More on that later.)

Health
The blue line got hit hard for the second season in a row. Lindholm played 18 games, Manson played 23 games, and they both played a whopping 3 games together in a game this season. Losing Lindholm and Manson is very significant to this team as we are reliant upon our defense while our forwards figured out how to score. Lose your top defensemen and sometimes that's all is needed to sink a season.

A myriad of injuries to our forward corps as well. Milano got in only 6 games and Rowney got only 19 games in. Grant's return from injury was very mixed. Silf had re-injured a previous injury that needed surgery.​

Youth Growth
Stepped up: Comtois leads the team in goals and scoring. Lundestrom proved he can be an NHL center as well as a key PK'er. Jones knows his role, which is to be a bull in a China shop with speed.
Drysdale revealed he was our #3 defenseman after Fowler and Hakanpaa (Manson and Lindholm were out due to injury). Zegras looked far better at center on his second stint in the NHL. Fleury began to shine in the latter part of the season to make sure we protect him in the expansion draft.

Stepped down: Steel looks overwhelmed still. Larsson looks overwhelmed still. Guhle was injury prone and stayed at the AHL level.

Stagnate: Terry has flashes. Milano has been out due to concussion issues.​

Improved Special Teams
2019-20: PP eff = 14.7% (30th) ... PK eff = 77.0% (26th)
2020-21: PP eff = 8.9% (31st) ... PK eff = 79.9 % (15th)​

The PK did improve. It looks a lot better with either Lindholm or Manson in the lineup, but we've missed both often for the past two seasons and the comparision is a good measure still. That PP is beyond abysmal considering GM Murray brought along offensive D Shattenkirk into the fold. Shatty had only 5 PP points. That was a failed gamble.

== Playoff Aspiration ==

4. St. Louis Blues: 57 points (24-20-9)
8. Anaheim Ducks: 43 points (17-30-9)​

The goal to be a playoff team was to win the 4th spot. The difference is 14 points to tie for 4th, 15 points to rightfully get in without a tie breaker. That would be 7 wins and an OT loss for 15 points. Would it be a huge stretch to get there if both Lindholm and Manson where healthy together for most of the season? Let's do some breakdowns.

Ducks '21
Game SetGamesGFGAGoal DiffWLOTLPts
1 to 21214261-19610517
22 to 32112949-203717
33 to 47153341-859111
48 to 5692228-63428
Total56126179-531730943
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Why the odd breakdowns? Game 21 was the last game Lindholm played for the season. Lindholm only participated in 18 games, though. Game 33-47 was a stretch where Manson played in consecutively. Manson did play three games in the "22 to 32" games; we went 2-0-1 (5 pts) in that set. Without Manson in the "22 to 32" set, the team record is 1-7-0 (2 pts). Manson also played in the last two games of the season; we went 0-0-2 (2 pts) in that set. Without Manson in that "48 to 56" set, the team record is 3-4-0 (6 pts). In those two sets (22 to 32 and 48 to 56), Manson added 7 points for the team. That's how important having Manson back in the lineup is for the Ducks. Lindholm tried keeping the Ducks up by his lonesome for a while until he broke.

Please note the goal differential for set "22 to 32" is -20, but that was done in about half the games (11 games) played than with Lindholm (21 games)!

One-goal games
Game SetGames1-goal gamesWLOTLPts.1-goal games %
1 to 21211445513 66.7%
22 to 321163217 54.5%
33 to 471541213 26.7%
48 to 56952126 55.6%
Total56291010929 51.8%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
With Lindholm in the lineup, over two-thirds of our games were one-goal games. Remember, Manson only played with Lindholm in the same game three times, the first three games of the season. Manson was involved in 3 one-goal games in the "22 to 32" set and 2 one-goal games in the "48 to 56" set. (The record for these Manson bits is in the previous section.) Remember, there are some games where the Ducks pulled their goalie being down by one goal only to lose by allowing an empty netter or two. The Ducks left 29 points off the sheets. It is within these one-goal game sets where the Ducks could improve despite owning a crappy PP. Recover half of the 29 points left off the sheet and we get those 15 missing points to get into the playoffs. We might still be first round fodder, but the path was there this season to sneak into the playoffs if all things went right, which they didn't.

We did drop in one-goal games when Manson returned consecutively for the "33 to 47" game set. Let's look at "Non one-goal games" next.

Non one-goal games
Game SetGamesNon 1-goal gamesWLOTLPts
1 to 212172504
22 to 321150500
33 to 4715114708
48 to 56941302
Total5627720014
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
We actually played better with Manson's "33 to 47" game set in the Non one-goal game sets. That's why there was a drop in one-goal games with Manson back in the lineup. We produced the most wins and points when the game isn't close. Can you imagine just how much closer to the playoffs we could have been with a healthy Lindholm and Manson for the whole or most of the season?!

Wait... there's more! Trade deadline acquisition D Fleury caught fire by adding offense to his play to the point we fans believe we are going to protect him from the expansion draft. He is part of the reason why we looked better in the last nine game stretch, games 48 to 56. Fleury will turn 25 next season and could be a real gem. Then add in an off-season to grow for young Drysdale and the Ducks will have more depth on the blue line going forward.

Potential Pairings in 2021-22
Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Drysdale
Fleury-Shattenkirk​

Fleury is the type of player GM Murray has been trying to acquire to help speed up the rebuild process. Last trade deadline, GM Murray traded for 24 year old winger Heinen, 24 year old LW Milano, and 25 year old D Djoos. Along with Fleury, the Ducks traded for 23-year old Volkov. Granted, all of those players are low key additions. We didn't have any cap space to afford better. That is part of the reason we lost Djoos, we had to find room for Kelser's full contract to maximize his full LTIR cap space. (Of course, Murray could have waived Larsson instead of Djoos.)

Going into next season, the Ducks will have $19.9 mil in cap space available. Grabbing a top-6 forward in FA or trade should be GM Murray's priority, especially now that the league will revert to its old playoff qualifier of top-8 in the conference. Trading Rakell (team's #2 scorer) and/or Manson (I've already explained his importance to the team) makes no sense if the team is looking to lurch forward into playoff talk. Why do we want future assets when we want to win sooner? We have three top-10 picks in the past three seasons, one of them will be top-4 in this year's draft. We doubled up in the 2019 first round with LW Tracey and 2020 first round with RW Perreault. C Groulx in the AHL and we could sign collegian LW McLaughlin. We have a plethora of defenseman developing in RHD Andersson (already in the AHL), junior collegians in LaCombe and Thrun, as well as the 2020 set of RHD's Moore along with Nickl. Geez, we still have Larsson and Guhle in tow! Again, we're going to own at least a top-4 pick this year and the second pick in the second round.

We have a lot of assets. What we don't have is enough proven NHL talent to push the Ducks toward the playoffs at the forward position. I knew that going into this season. I wasn't oblivious to this fact. I'm an optimist, which is why I thought we could vie for 4th. I do not have delusions of grandeur to win the West, and then call the season an epic fail because the GM wants the team to go to the playoffs in some odd extreme that excludes so many facts.

This team is set to jump forward and GM Murray needs to find that top-6 forward (or top-3) this off-season. Dunno if we can pry RHN from the Oil, but a cheaper alternative is Taylor Hall, who looks better now that he's escaped Buffalo and into Boston, but hopefully on a short deal. Unfortunately, most UFA forwards are age 28 or older. We could trade for a younger player.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
The only player in that group who deserves a ‘significant’ raise is Comtois. And he will probably get a bridge deal, so it won’t be too expensive anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad