GDT: Game 56 - CBJ vs COL - 8 Feb, 7pm, @Nat

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Powerplay has gone back to sucking energy out of the team. Not only was it bad but it turned momentum.

With another probable loss on Monday we might be near the outside after 4 days given the upper hand other teams have on us in games played.
Odd thing to say considering 100% of tonight’s offense came on the PP.

Now is when we see what Elvis is made of. How he reacts now that the bubble has been punctured a little.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Now is when we see what Elvis is made of. How he reacts now that the bubbled has been punctured a little.
He'll be fine. This isn't the first time he's given up 2 goals before. His post game was extra hard on himself for the 2nd goal and he wasn't making excuses. He owned it completely even though I think there deserves to be some credit for the shot that was taken. I'm just concerned about the entire team's reaction coming against the only team that has won as much as them over the last month.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
9 goals in the last 5 games is quite concerning.

4 of them were in 1 game. 2 of them were empty netters.

4 of them were scored by defensemen. (Gavrikov, Z x2, Seth)
2 EN goals

3 Even Strength or Special Teams scores by forwards in last 5 games. It's unsustainable and this game showed just how fine a line this team has to play to win if it can't force itself to be competitive offensively.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
He'll be fine. This isn't the first time he's given up 2 goals before. His post game was extra hard on himself for the 2nd goal and he wasn't making excuses. He owned it completely even though I think there deserves to be some credit for the shot that was taken. I'm just concerned about the entire team's reaction coming against the only team that has won as much as them over the last month.
I tend to agree. I mean, he didn’t exactly get shelled tonight. Just confidence is a funny thing when you’re a rookie.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Now is when we see what Elvis is made of. How he reacts now that the bubble has been punctured a little.

it was off a faceoff. Let’s not act like we were whipping it around before hand.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Let’s put this in perspective. The PP goal came off a face off draw. Yes, it’s a PP goal. But Any offensive flow on the PP was basically non-existent.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
MacKinnon v any goalie is one of the better chances you can get, as an Avs fan, I couldn't have asked for a better chance to break the tie. Elvis could have saved, should've probably, a bad goal no way.

that doesn’t make sense,

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Elvis and the surrounding defensive structure are forced to play a near perfect game every night because of the anemic offense. We’re left to hear how Elvis gave up bad goals while holding a high powered team to two goals. News flash - every goalie gives up one they’d like to have back. And he’s given up very few lately. The offense has to hold up their end at some point.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Yes it does.

Too many people, when evaluating goaltending, tend to classify every goal allowed in the extremes. Either it’s “unstoppable” or it’s a s**t goal. There’s a lot of middle ground.

Both goals tonight were saveable, but they were hardly slop.
I think the first goal is in the slop category

Reactions: thebus88

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Ouch. Torts rode his horses off their feet tonight. On the second of back to backs, Foligno played just shy of 24 minutes, Bjork 22. PLD played 19 - none very well. They had to be dragging in the 3rd period.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Initial frustration is over, although it sucks we got very little help elsewhere.

It had been a long time since we had blown a lead like that. I was bound to happen again sometime. The silver lining is it was against Colorado and not an East team where it could have hurt us more (like what happened in Philadelphia earlier in the year).

Regroup and try to get a point out of Tampa.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Things I re-learned in this thread:

Only good things are unsustainable.

A goal on the power play does t count unless it meets certain criteria.
“But our power play wasn’t great. I know we scored on one off the draw, but we lost momentum on a lot of them. That’s unacceptable for our group.”

Not my words, but those of Boone Jenner per The Athletic post game.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
“But our power play wasn’t great. I know we scored on one off the draw, but we lost momentum on a lot of them. That’s unacceptable for our group.”

Not my words, but those of Boone Jenner per The Athletic post game.

No, it scored a goal. It was a great night for the powerplay.

Nevermind that quote. Or this:

But while the Blue Jackets have the second-best record in the NHL over the past two months — they’re 19-3-5 since Dec. 8 — the Blue Jackets’ power play has ranked near the bottom of the NHL during that span.

The Blue Jackets are 13.6 with a man-advantage since Dec. 8, putting them slightly ahead of Detroit (13.3) at the bottom of the league. (This is not the season to be mentioned in the same breath as Detroit.)

“We have to find a way to make that dangerous,” Blue Jackets captain Nick Foligno said. “That’s on every guy who’s out there. It’s going to be a game-changer and a difference-maker down the stretch.

“It was tonight. With all the chances we had to put them away 2-0, we let them hang around and hang around. It’s the difference in the game.”

Jones’ first-period power play helped the Jackets escape the basement, but they went 0-for-4 on the rest of their attempts.

“It was a big goal we scored on the power play,” Jones said. “Great win on the draw by Booner. I saw (Grubauer) kind of cheatin’, so I thought I’d throw it in there. Luckily it went in.

Portzline: In search of firepower, and more observations...

It scored a goal. Clearly it was a good night for the PP since the only thing that appears to matter is getting one goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoeBartoli

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I saw the extended stats against the Avs and we had more scoring chances while much more chances from the high slot. The Avs were kept on the outside.

We should be fine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->