Post-Game Talk: GAME #56: Canucks 4 vs. Flames 3 (S/O): Markstrom masterclass, EP gets his 50th point

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Take away Markstrom, Pettersson and Horvat and this team would be an absolute trainwreck.

How would the Leafs be without Matthews, Marner, and Tavares? Tampa without Stamkos, Hedman, and Point?

Hell, take away one of these pieces and it would all fall apart.

A few years ago when Edler suffered a season ending injury, the Canucks completely went off the tracks and sunk to the bottom.

As of this writing, the Canucks appear to be fighting, scraping, and clawing while remaining in hockey games (gaining points in the process) while their #1 dman is out. To me, that’s progress.

Canucks may or may not make the playoffs this year, but their willingness to battle despite being outmatched is the type of mindset that will lead this core to bigger and better things one day.

It’s 1989 all over again, and 1994 is only 5 years away.....perhaps with a better ending.

Reactions: Var

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Pretty much sums things up. This is why I just shake my head when anyone says we're only a piece or two away from ending the rebuild. It's more like we only have a handful to build on and the rest needs to be thrown away.
really?hand full?

Our PP is almost set. Markstrom and Demko DiPietro gives us legit goaltending

I see it as more a couple years experience for the core and 4 or 5 good players to replace Eriksson Granlund Sutter and a top4 defenseman if Hughes pans out and Edler re signs.

Of course like any team we will have to keep re stocking hungry good cheap depth

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Honestly though, we need to do something about Pouliot. Needs to be benched, possibly waived when Edler returns.
Why the hell were they in a rush to move Del Zotto...........Pouliot is a friggin train wreck. So was MDZ but rotation allows some retrospect and fresh legs

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Just one name sums up this one - MARKSTROM.

Give some credit to Pettersson on a very good and vital game but, for the most part, that was a very flat effort by the Canucks and they had little business winning. In the end, this team clearly needs more Swedes.

Agree with those that say that only a few very good performances by some players are masking some big holes in this lineup.

On defense, Stecher continues to come on while Tanev is going thru a bit of rough patch. Biega and Pouliot had some major problems in their zone and Hutton's play has become to tail off. In much of the game, our defense just couldn't handle the Flames forcheck and cycle. Got a little ridiculous at times.

Among the forwards Levio, Boeser and played well but most of the rest were reduced simply trying to get the puck out. Motte and Horvat also had some good shifts

Granlund was weak along the boards and every where else for that matter. Virtanen's play was disorganized and sporadic. Eriksson was AWOL.

Sutter and Beagle were ok on the PK but did little else.

Markstrom play this year has been as good as any Canuck goalie (including Luongo) in years. With him the Canucks have some chance to make the playoffs. Without him the team has every chance to be high in the draft lottery.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I'd be far more accepting of them feeding the puck to their best player, personally.

I disagree in the long term. Getting Boesers head and shot back to where they were last year would be excellent for our PP going forward. Having equal threats on both sides is what makes a strong PP.

Results

Sep 3, 2006
Vancouver
Didn't see the game in its entirety, but Roussel had some good moments, some motor. So I don't see the need to lump him in with the rest.

Gudbranson was tragic.

Markstrom now obviously one of Benning's best acquisitions.

...Crap.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Didn't see the game in its entirety, but Roussel had some good moments, some motor. So I don't see the need to lump him in with the rest.

Gudbranson was tragic.

...Crap.

Markstrom wasn’t a Benning acquisiton. This management group did however, develop him in the correct manner.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I disagree in the long term. Getting Boesers head and shot back to where they were last year would be excellent for our PP going forward. Having equal threats on both sides is what makes a strong PP.

I would think winning games would be the main priority, but to each their own I suppose.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
The way these games feel, to me, is promising. We're getting outshot and out possessed pretty badly, which I think we can put on our D, but we're really making the most of the chances we do get. What it says to me that with some maturation and improvements on the back end we'll really be putting them in the back of the net. We have a long, long way to go until we're competitive but I'm loving what we do have.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Gudbranson was tragic.

...Crap.
I think Marky was a Gillis trade as part of the Luongo trade.

Reactions: Results

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I would think winning games would be the main priority, but to each their own I suppose.

It's not like we're supposed to be competitive this year. Honestly, I'd rather lose every game from this point on than win them. I get that's probably not what the Canucks want, though, so I see your point.

Reactions: TimeZone

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver

Gudbranson was tragic.

...Crap.

I think Marky was a Gillis trade as part of the Luongo trade.

It was indeed a Gillis move. Pretty much the last of his tenure iirc. Luongo Markstrom swap happened in March of 2014 and Gillis was relieved in April.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Just one name sums up this one - MARKSTROM.

Give some credit to Pettersson on a very good and vital game but, for the most part, that was a very flat effort by the Canucks and they had little business winning. In the end, this team clearly needs more Swedes.

Agree with those that say that only a few very good performances by some players are masking some big holes in this lineup.

On defense, Stecher continues to come on while Tanev is going thru a bit of rough patch. Biega and Pouliot had some major problems in their zone and Hutton's play has become to tail off. In much of the game, our defense just couldn't handle the Flames forcheck and cycle. Got a little ridiculous at times.

Among the forwards Levio, Boeser and played well but most of the rest were reduced simply trying to get the puck out. Motte and Horvat also had some good shifts

Granlund was weak along the boards and every where else for that matter. Virtanen's play was disorganized and sporadic. Eriksson was AWOL.

Sutter and Beagle were ok on the PK but did little else.

Markstrom play this year has been as good as any Canuck goalie (including Luongo) in years. With him the Canucks have some chance to make the playoffs. Without him the team has every chance to be high in the draft lottery.
,nice to see Petty points.Markstrom is starting to show signs of being a true #1.real concern about our 6 mill plus a year guy tho..seems to only show up when he wants to Eriksson.Wish Green had the grapefruits to bench his ass as well as Pouliot and a few others.We lucked out on this one...could have been the other way around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad