GDT: Game 55: Jets @ Sabres - 2/10 3pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
I don't like the 3PM start. The Sabres play their best weekend hockey between 1:20 and 2:30pm. Around 3pm they start to fade as their thoughts turn to how to spend the evening. Doug Allen should get the start at anthem singer. Who's the backup in case he pulls a vocal cord during warmups. I hope it's not Sobotka
We used to have that little girl who was the best anthem singer in the league. What happend to her?

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
I don't like the 3PM start. The Sabres play their best weekend hockey between 1:20 and 2:30pm. Around 3pm they start to fade as their thoughts turn to how to spend the evening. Doug Allen should get the start at anthem singer. Who's the backup in case he pulls a vocal cord during warmups. I hope it's not Sobotka

My following post is a reply on your last one about Doug, it was from yesterday, here it is:
The key to the game happened before the puck was dropped when the Sabres came out with their first line anthem singer. The look on the Detroit players faces said "get me out of here, we're going to lose". Doug Allen's voice demoralizes opposing teams and takes away their will to compete. At this point in season, the Sabres can not afford to use backup anthem singers.

And here is Doug Allens interview:

Doug, how do you prepare for a regular season game?

"Well, i like to not care too much about it. If i did, it would go too well. See, that's the thing with disrupting your opponent right from the start, you have to really hit those wrong frequencies. I usually prepare myself, if you will, with singing in tune with a different pitch center, like instead of 440Hz, i go for 430Hz or something like that. This helps confuse my brain and ears, so i tend to lose my pitch center while performing."

Are you not afraid you might disrupt your own team?

"I think they don't mind. Most of them can't sing Happy Birthday, they are awful musicians. We used to have O'Reilly though. He was a guitarist and singer, so he must have suffered a bit. Maybe that's why he lost his love for the game. I really hope he finds his stride with the Blues."

Any advice for young and aspiring anthem singers?

"Just go for it, i say, and don't be afraid of mistakes. Cherish them, make them your own, and finally really bring it to the opponent, show 'em who sucks in this building."

Last edited:

jucebox

Feb 7, 2019
Why would Housley put Hutton in? Who cares if its back to back games? Ullmark played well yesterday

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Last time Hutton played was Feb. 1st. Nothing wrong with starting him today. I’d like to see him rebound. We need a strong tandem.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Sobotka is fine as a 4th line winger. I think thats his spot.

I am someone who thinks Pominville is serviceable as long as he is in the right role.

Sobotka has no place on the bench, period. Face offs is not a reason to earn ice time.

In lacrosse they have those players- they’re called FOGOs. Face off get off. Sobotka has this nasty habit of sticking around for a minute and a half while our defenseman are running around with their heads cut off trying to break out of our zone.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Somehow the Sabres are 15th in league overall standings.

And still out of a playoff spot behind 2 teams...

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Wonder what would happen if Housley would have benched Dahlin for a vet earlier in the season, like he benches all of the other rookies?

Would that have convinced Botterill to finally fire the clown?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->