GDT: Game 55 Avs host Kings @7pm MT. Hump Day Meme-o-Rama

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Sometimes i just hate you guys ... well, at least some of you.

Before the game even started ppl were freakin out that Bednar dares to ice Nemeth over MacDonald.

Then we won 6-0 with Nemeth but without Mac (and a handful of others) against a pretty bad team.

NOW all you can talk about is that Bednar dares to play JJ against their 3rd string goalie?!?

UNBELIEVABLE. Stop making a fuzz about everything and start to enjoy the ride fellas. This team is
special - this season is special - and you need to enjoy that. Because if you don't, what are you even doing here?

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Johansson and his 2.23 GAA and .907 save % are the least of our worries. He will be fine.

Reactions: MarkT

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
Honestly hilarious after the year Compher has had that he’d be on pace for 17 goals and 31 points in a full season....

really could be a lot worse

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Honestly hilarious after the year Compher has had that he’d be on pace for 17 goals and 31 points in a full season....

really could be a lot worse
A tale of two halves for Compher:

• January 13th to March 5th:
upload_2021-5-13_15-26-3.png

• * injured from March 6th to March 19th *

• March 20th to present:
upload_2021-5-13_15-25-23.png

Getting injured was a blessing in disguise for him. While he was out Jost moved to 3C and did well enough for Compher to move back to the wing where he has 14 points in the last 25 games (46 point pace).

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
A tale of two halves for Compher:

• January 13th to March 5th:

• * injured from March 6th to March 19th *

• March 20th to present:
Getting injured was a blessing in disguise for him. While he was out Jost moved to 3C and did well enough for Compher to move back to the wing where he has 14 points in the last 25 games (46 point pace).
Compher has improved dramatically since his injury. He deserves some credit for picking it up after a terrible start.
Not too mention he is a team player. Dude laid out in front of 3 shots on the biggest PK of the season in Vegas the other night, the 4v3 one in the first period.

I would not be overly shocked to see him in Seattle next year, which is unfortunate, since he can be a quality bottom 6er, as proven over the last 25 games.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Compher is far from a perfect player, but he perked right back up when moved to wing. If they just stop trying to make him a center, he's a solid NHL player.
Yep he needs to be permanently on the wing. Much better player there. With Jost succeeding at center hopefully he can stay there.

Not sure he'll be around after expansion. It will be down to Compher, Donskoi or Graves to Seattle. Not sure what direction they go.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Yep he needs to be permanently on the wing. Much better player there. With Jost succeeding at center hopefully he can stay there.

Not sure he'll be around after expansion. It will be down to Compher, Donskoi or Graves to Seattle. Not sure what direction they go.
Guessing Dong. He's frustrating but he's the most skilled of that group.

Reactions: chet1926

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Compher has improved dramatically since his injury. He deserves some credit for picking it up after a terrible start.
Not too mention he is a team player. Dude laid out in front of 3 shots on the biggest PK of the season in Vegas the other night, the 4v3 one in the first period.

I would not be overly shocked to see him in Seattle next year, which is unfortunate, since he can be a quality bottom 6er, as proven over the last 25 games.

Compher before his injury: 51.23 CF%, which was the worst on the team.

Compher after his injury: 56.02 CF%, still among the worst regulars on the team but a notable improvement.

upload_2021-5-13_16-17-42.png
upload_2021-5-13_16-18-42.png

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

Seattle will take Logan O'Connor.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Reading through the Kings' GDT, they seem to believe Anze Kopitar is arguably most at fault for how bad the Kings have been the last couple of seasons.

Is it really that bad with him? I mean the guy played at a 70+ point pace last season and is doing so again this season. The only other players over the last two seasons to score at even a 50 point pace have been Alex Iafollo (last season), Drew Doughty (this season) and Dustin Brown (this season).

If he's really the problem, I can't imagine how bad that Kings team would look without him.

I'd move Kadri + Johnson for him :naughty:
I'd trust a fanbase before just looking at stats. Sometimes players suck and are a problem even with decent stats. I'm not saying it's the case with Kopitar I don't watch the Kings nearly enough to have an opinion but like I said, fanbases are rarely wrong...especially when it's nearly unanimous.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd trust a fanbase before just looking at stats. Sometimes players suck and are a problem even with decent stats. I'm not saying it's the case with Kopitar I don't watch the Kings nearly enough to have an opinion but like I said, fanbases are rarely wrong...especially when it's nearly unanimous.
Perhaps if that player wasn't also performing well I'd buy it, but he year in and year out scores way more points than literally every single Kings player. Seems strange that they single him out like that as being a big reason why the team is bad. I can't imagine how bad their team would look without him in the lineup.

Seems like it's similar to this board's obsession with calling out Landeskog all the time.

Reactions: MarkT

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com

The f*** they aren't...they're wrong all the damned time, including people in this forum, and I'm no exception.

You're comparing fan sentiment to hard numbers and that's just ridiculous. Fans by their very nature are irrational and prone to snap judgments. They're wrong A LOT. Fan is short for "fanatic" after all. And they're wrong about Kopitar. He's one of the best two-way players to ever play the game, and possibly the biggest reason they got two Cups in the first place. Before that that franchise had nothing apart from Wayne Gretzky leading them to the Cup Final they had NOTHING. If you don't count The Great One you could make an argument that Anze Kopitar is the best player in franchise history. And yes, I'd rank him above Drew Doughty.

The Kings and Blackhawks have been trying like hell to rebuild on the fly and the results have been rather mixed. I think Blake's done a pretty good job getting a completely depleted prospect base back up to snuff but he's also made some mistakes along the way (Kovalchuk signing anyone?). If fans are slagging him then they're a bunch of spoiled idiots.

Los Angeles just isn't that good a team. They haven't been for a while now. Their fans just need to accept that. Lombardi did a ton of damage on his way out the door, and off-ice stuff (which was horribly mishandled by him) made matters worse.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Seattle will take Logan O'Connor.

O’Connor was the guy whose play I noticed when I was going to Eagles games. Others liked Dries and Greer but LOC was the guy whose play on ice was getting attention. Still does it to this day. Kid is an NHL’er like Calvert. Even though Compher, Graves and Donskoi all have valid attributes, the Kraken would do very well to select LOC.

Reactions: Iceberg

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Missed yesterday game. How did Newhook look ? Damn no points. Also Compher a hat trick what in the world !! Usually looking for @The Kingslayer sum up of the game with good points :D
For yo Spilot I will.

1. Kings checked out. Evidence of this was Comphers second goal. That goal only gets scored on when a team is checked out or really bad defensively. In the Kings case last night both might be true.

2. Grubauer was good when he had to be but he really didn't have to. The Avs put up a wall in front of that net. I don't know what the heat map looked like last night but I imagine it was no heat in and around the net.

3. Newhook looked ok he just cant bury his chances right now. He doesn't get many passes so when he does he needs to start finishing.

4. Sam Girard looked great throughout. Didn't look rusty to me and was skating well.

5. Devon Toews has an amazing stick. Gets him out of trouble and really disrupts cycle.

6. Rantanen had 3 points and nobody noticed. Probably could have had 3 goals aswell but he hit the post on a 2 on 1 and didn't have the soft touch around the net.

7. Cale Makar was playing like they told him Mackinnon was in the lineup. Not great not terrible just never really pushed the play which is fine but I wanted him to get a few points to bolster his claim to the Norris but I think that's done with.

8. Nobody had a bad game. Sherwood frustrated but I don't think he was bad bad.

9. Connor Timmins skating is the only thing keeping him from that next level. His first pass is tremendous, his hockey IQ is fairly high but that first step is a little to slow for him to do the things he wants to do. People say hes too old to fix that but I disagree. Plenty of players have fixed their skating in and around his age. The Avs have had a few players who have done it.

10. Now the fate of the Presidents Trophy and 30K to their favourite rub n tug is in the hands of Jonas Johansson as we all predicted when we first acquired him.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
For yo Spilot I will.

1. Kings checked out. Evidence of this was Comphers second goal. That goal only gets scored on when a team is checked out or really bad defensively. In the Kings case last night both might be true.

2. Grubauer was good when he had to be but he really didn't have to. The Avs put up a wall in front of that net. I don't know what the heat map looked like last night but I imagine it was no heat in and around the net.

3. Newhook looked ok he just cant bury his chances right now. He doesn't get many passes so when he does he needs to start finishing.

4. Sam Girard looked great throughout. Didn't look rusty to me and was skating well.

5. Devon Toews has an amazing stick. Gets him out of trouble and really disrupts cycle.

6. Rantanen had 3 points and nobody noticed. Probably could have had 3 goals aswell but he hit the post on a 2 on 1 and didn't have the soft touch around the net.

7. Cale Makar was playing like they told him Mackinnon was in the lineup. Not great not terrible just never really pushed the play which is fine but I wanted him to get a few points to bolster his claim to the Norris but I think that's done with.

8. Nobody had a bad game. Sherwood frustrated but I don't think he was bad bad.

9. Connor Timmins skating is the only thing keeping him from that next level. His first pass is tremendous, his hockey IQ is fairly high but that first step is a little to slow for him to do the things he wants to do. People say hes too old to fix that but I disagree. Plenty of players have fixed their skating in and around his age. The Avs have had a few players who have done it.

10. Now the fate of the Presidents Trophy and 30K to their favourite rub n tug is in the hands of Jonas Johansson as we all predicted when we first acquired him.
Wow I didn't really expect you to do it ! Thank you very much good to know that Girard looked great. All I need is some Newhook goal or should I say goals :naughty:

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Compher is far from a perfect player, but he perked right back up when moved to wing. If they just stop trying to make him a center, he's a solid NHL player.

Yeah. His injury opened the door for Jost to take that third line center role, which he's taken and run with. Once he came back into the lineup, he was slotted back onto the wing in a fourth line role, which is where he belongs. Not a coincidence that he's found his game again now that they put him into the one role in which he's suited.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
BTW, prime example of fans not knowing WTF they're talking about is how much praise gets directed toward Patrick Kane and how much derision (apparently) gets thrown at Anze Kopitar. The fact is, fans look at offensive production and very little else. Understandable to a point. Kane remains a very productive player, but he is now so horribly bad defensively that it almost doesn't matter how much he scores. Conversely, Kopitar remains reasonably productive and reasonably good defensively, but he's never been a flashy superstar who scores a lot, even in his prime. I'd also argue the Kings kinda/sorta did a lousy job putting firepower on his line an around him in the lineup. The Kings likely would've won more than two Cups and utterly dominated their prime contention window had they at least gotten a slick point producer at center to take the workload off of Kopitar. Nowadays he's being asked to do WAY too much at 33 years old.

Anze Kane.png

I get those aren't elite defensive numbers for Kopitar either, but you're not gonna get elite defensive numbers on a team as lousy as the Kings are at present.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew Wiggin

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Wow I didn't really expect you to do it ! Thank you very much good to know that Girard looked great. All I need is some Newhook goal or should I say goals :naughty:
Last night was the closest Newhook has come to scoring thus far. He wasn't as noticeable as he was in previous games. He wasn't bad but that one chance off Nuke feed he got robbed on. Might have also went off the defenders stick.

Reactions: Spilot23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->