GDT: Game 55 Avs host Kings @7pm MT. Hump Day Meme-o-Rama

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Reading through the Kings' GDT, they seem to believe Anze Kopitar is arguably most at fault for how bad the Kings have been the last couple of seasons.

Is it really that bad with him? I mean the guy played at a 70+ point pace last season and is doing so again this season. The only other players over the last two seasons to score at even a 50 point pace have been Alex Iafollo (last season), Drew Doughty (this season) and Dustin Brown (this season).

If he's really the problem, I can't imagine how bad that Kings team would look without him.

I'd move Kadri + Johnson for him :naughty:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Johansson hasn't been great, especially with allowing goals on the first shot. But at the same time he's 4-1-1 with Avs so it's not like it's an auto-loss with him in goal.

Bednar is putting it on the skaters to get it done. This board would have a meltdown if Grubauer tore up his groin if he played tomorrow. Him being ready for the playoffs is the most important thing.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Is it going too far out on a limb to assume he has a gross neck?

It's pronounced "Goose-nick" so probably more long than gross.

And I don't really have too many issues with JoJo starting. If there's one thing he's proven is that when the system is executed decently in front of him he does quite well. Have to give the Avs pro scouts and JoJo some credit here as he's been the dollar store version of Grubauer in that he fits the system very well. The Avs have generally kept things calm in front of him and he's good enough in his positioning that he's making the first save. The hard part is keeping the traffic in front of him to nearly zero as he really struggles in seeing through traffic to track the puck. Keep the Kings to more North-South play, let them cycle but cut off the lateral passes, and JoJo will do what's expected of him. JoJo is a lot more predictable which helps the guys up front. Especially when compared to Dubnyk and Miska.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Landeskog makes it 8/10 seasons where he scores 20 or more. 8/9 if we exclude his unlucky, 36-game sophomore disaster season.

What a beaut.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Can we just take a moment to appreciate that even if we lose tommorrow, we’re tops in the league despite being riddled with injuries throughout the entire season? I mean we’re talking top guys being out in a shortened season and still are a powerhouse. If we can heal up for the playoffs this could be a magical post-season.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I came in here to see some commentary about the game itself and all I see in the last 4 pages is bedwetting about JJ starting a game against LA who we just smashed 6-0 with 16-3 in high danger chances. Good grief.

With that hattrick Compher has worked his way up to 31.4 point pace (over 82 games), and his points/60 is just below his averages the previous 2 seasons:

upload_2021-5-13_9-15-38.png

He's also posted positive possession metrics for the first time in his career:

upload_2021-5-13_9-16-43.png

He's still a bit overpaid with that production, but those metrics are a good deal better than what he was producing in the first ~20 games of the year, and his uptick in production probably helps to make him more moveable this offseason.

Bensch88

Jan 15, 2012
Germany
Johansson hasn't been great, especially with allowing goals on the first shot. But at the same time he's 4-1-1 with Avs so it's not like it's an auto-loss with him in goal.

Bednar is putting it on the skaters to get it done. This board would have a meltdown if Grubauer tore up his groin if he played tomorrow. Him being ready for the playoffs is the most important thing.
This.
But where is Dubnyk? Is he hurt? Is he alright?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Playing Grubauer in a b2b just before the playoffs start would incredibly stupid. Jojo starting is the way to go.

I think that is likely correct. On the other hand, playing Grubauer in the third period of a 6-0 game in the second to last game of the season could be characterized as remarkably stupid as well under the circumstances.

Reactions: wayninja

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Missed yesterday game. How did Newhook look ? Damn no points. Also Compher a hat trick what in the world !! Usually looking for @The Kingslayer sum up of the game with good points :D

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Missed yesterday game. How did Newhook look ? Damn no points. Also Compher a hat trick what in the world !! Usually looking for @The Kingslayer sum up of the game with good points :D

Imagine someone telling you at the start of this season, 2 of the 3 whipping boys up front (at the time) would be the only players to get hat tricks. Unreal. Waiting for Jost to get one tonight now :laugh:

Reactions: Spilot23

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I actually thought it was the most quiet game Newhook has had so far although I fell asleep with like 12 minutes left and it sounds like he had a few chances after that.

Reactions: Spilot23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->