GDT: Game 54: Kings @ Coyotes, 7 PM AZ Time, BSAZ-Extra

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
The team couldn't be bothered to assemble at center ice and give the fans a stick raise. Lame. I did get a hat, black with the Kachina head logo on it. Also got a puck signed by Schmaltz. My wife got a puck signed by Kessel.

Heh, someone on the FB group got a Fasching-signed puck and complained about it. I offered my BJ Crombeen one.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
ok Jakey,
what is it you see that makes you think OEL is a tough player? I watch most of the games, and I’m not seeing it. I am willing to be influenced here.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
OEL is not playing like an $8.25 million aav player should.

That is the issue. Never mind the “C” thing.

He’s making mistakes that you’d expect from a 1-2 year player…. not one who’s been in the league this long.
Him having a poor season is not in doubt from any one, but I think it's the assumption that he cannot regain form and is so worthless to the point that we have to trade him along with sweeteners or take on a "lesser" poor deal with term, is what's got some flabbergasted. I don't know that he can get to playing at the value of that contract, but I do think he can turn things around and provide positively. I think he personally responded well after his own self-criticism the other day, and I know it's a short-term thing that he'll need to perform at for an extended period, but in my mind it at least shows he can still perform at a higher level.

Finally, the precedent set by trading him for nothing is not something Armstrong will do. I know some have thought we needed to jettison everything not bolted down at the deadline, but is a first-year GM going to be able to shake that reputation that he'll give in on any trade if you just wait him out? I think this is why he held onto OEL and did the same at the deadline. Brian Burke explicitly mentioned this as a real thing GMs deal with around the deadline, and I think some are just looking at moves as though they're performed in a vacuum without people in those roles putting their careers on the line.

Reactions: CoyoteDave

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Open your eyes. The OEL hate on these boards is beyond stupidity, it really is. Some want to trade him for Lucic. Lucic off all players.:facepalm:
Pretty sure that's just one person and he makes a zillion fantasy trade proposals that have zero chance of ever happening. Safe to say Calgary would make the day they traded Lucic for OEL a national holiday and give Treliving a lifetime contract.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Him having a poor season is not in doubt from any one, but I think it's the assumption that he cannot regain form and is so worthless to the point that we have to trade him along with sweeteners or take on a "lesser" poor deal with term, is what's got some flabbergasted. I don't know that he can get to playing at the value of that contract, but I do think he can turn things around and provide positively. I think he personally responded well after his own self-criticism the other day, and I know it's a short-term thing that he'll need to perform at for an extended period, but in my mind it at least shows he can still perform at a higher level.

Finally, the precedent set by trading him for nothing is not something Armstrong will do. I know some have thought we needed to jettison everything not bolted down at the deadline, but is a first-year GM going to be able to shake that reputation that he'll give in on any trade if you just wait him out? I think this is why he held onto OEL and did the same at the deadline. Brian Burke explicitly mentioned this as a real thing GMs deal with around the deadline, and I think some are just looking at moves as though they're performed in a vacuum without people in those roles putting their careers on the line.
But that is just it. OEL is not having a bad season. He is 40th in P/GP, playing for a team where the forwards can't shoot straight, and playing with different 3rd. pairing partners for I don't know how many years. OEL's P/GM is better than Dumba and Risto, two D that many want here, and is as good as Pietrangelo who plays for the high scoring Vegas. As far as trades goes, OEL holds ALL the cards.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
But that is just it. OEL is not having a bad season. He is 40th in P/GP, playing for a team where the forwards can't shoot straight, and playing with different 3rd. pairing partners for I don't know how many years. OEL's P/GM is better than Dumba and Risto, two D that many want here, and is as good as Pietrangelo who plays for the high scoring Vegas. As far as trades goes, OEL holds ALL the cards.
I think he can be better at the very least. I am unsure if he's again been dealing with injuries or they've caused him to lose a step, but my memory of some of his offensive zone greatness was his ability to walk the blue line so well that he created an opening for his own shot and then his shot accuracy was amazing whether on goal or for redirection. I still feel his shot is decent, but obviously don't have numbers for speed of the shot, actual accuracy, or time of release, but feel that he's lost a step some one so he can't get into that situation on his own as easily. He showed a bit of it just yesterday against the Kings when he opened the scoring. It might also be a thing where the team needs to adjust their offensive zone schemes so that he is just that half step ahead and can get the shot he's still got.

By saying his season is bad, I just think it's more by his own high standards. He definitely can play at a higher level and at times has not been able to get there. It's further exacerbated by his contract being as high as it is. You expect really high performance for that amount of cash of course so criticism can be warranted.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Pretty sure that's just one person and he makes a zillion fantasy trade proposals that have zero chance of ever happening. Safe to say Calgary would make the day they traded Lucic for OEL a national holiday and give Treliving a lifetime contract.
They’d regret it mightily in two years. And I don’t think there’s a team in the league that would offer a 2021 7th rounder for OEL, straight-up.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020

If Oel was to regain a decent portion of his former performance, it would be a turn around after a ~5 year decline. That would be, to my knowledge, unprecedented, and I would not bet on it if I was the GM.

Reactions: SniperHF and XX

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
Wrong. I dont play fantasy hockey of any sort. Look at OEL’s stats ( or as Jakey would say, “open your eyes”). They are very bad, both relatively and absolutely.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We MIGHT be able to trick a desperate Jim Benning into LOL for Loui Eriksson.

Possible Loui would be willing to mutually terminate the last year of his deal and go back to Sweden. His home town team Frolunda is one of the wealthy ones. If we pay his 1m signing bonus first, he’s only due 3m in base salary. A buyout would leave him with only 2m. I could see Frolunda coming through with something near that amount. His career earnings is up over 60mil anyway.

Ditching LOL and only losing a million in cash in the process would be a huge steal for us. And Vancouver ditches Eriksson’s 6aav hit, and only adds a net 2.25aav next season in LOL. Benning can’t afford to think beyond next season. If he even survives that long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad