GDT: Game # 54 - Cinco de Mayo - Rangers vs Capitals - 7pm - NBCSN

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Buch had one hand on his stick but the stick hit mantha in the face. Not a real crosscheck but as close as you can get. Only difference is the amount of damage it would have done, still dirty, still DGAF f*** the Caps.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

These guys are our leadership
Not Mika or Kreider

Mika and Kreider are solid players, but yeah, clearly not the captains of this group. IDK what direction they will go with that, but I was pleased to see Strome come out wearing the "A" today.

I get that Smith is very inconsistent, but I don't think you can do much better as a #7 if he agrees to a big paycut.

Strome just continues to win me over every interview.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
My guess is, that's him being happy about our team sticking up for him. And obviously for that statement Tuesday.

Like I said, I know we got our asses kicked but we made a statement. That's the important thing.
Like I said at the time, this stuff matters a lot to the hockey players.

The guys viewing every game from a data program perspective don't see that element of it.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Mika and Kreider are solid players, but yeah, clearly not the captains of this group. IDK what direction they will go with that, but I was pleased to see Strome come out wearing the "A" today.

I get that Smith is very inconsistent, but I don't think you can do much better as a #7 if he agrees to a big paycut.

Strome just continues to win me over every interview.

I agree, he's very well spoken. Oh and 100% on Smith :)

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
As much as I hate the staged BS clown show, I understand it. And the answer by Smith to the "soft" question says exactly why it had to happen.

I still contend that the answer to Tom Wilson's idiocy shouldn't have to be more idiocy (it should be to remove Tom Wilson). But since the NHL outright failed (again) to handle it, I'm accepting and honestly a bit thrilled that the Rangers tried.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
As much as I hate the staged BS clown show, I understand it. And the answer by Smith to the "soft" question says exactly why it had to happen.

I still contend that the answer to Tom Wilson's idiocy shouldn't have to be more idiocy (it should be to remove Tom Wilson). But since the NHL outright failed (again) to handle it, I'm accepting and honestly a bit thrilled that the Rangers tried.

I'm kind of at the go after Wilson's teammates point. He's not going to stop. The team condones it. The league condones it. Its time to Full Metal Jacket this situation and stop taking it out on Pile and start taking it out on the rest of the platoon.

As for tonight, I fully endorse the clown show. Let the league take a public beating on the national broadcast for the downright stupidity of not giving Wilson a game to keep him out of tonight.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, how chicken shit was Wilson being out due to an "injury"? This guy is healthy enough to put the lives of players in danger but his POS coach takes him out the game for him not to get hurt. I used to like Laviolette. f***ing snake.

Reactions: CLW

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Got no problem with Buch crosschecking Mantha. Got cheapshotted with a punch in the face right before that, that lead to that sequence. After all of the cheapshots he took in these past 2 games and Mantha goading him, if the NHL isn't going to do something about it, take matters into your own hands and protect yourself at that point.

$5k fine. If there's anything more than that, the Rangers should send an even bigger message and boycott the rest of the season.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Strome, Smith, Rooney, Blackwell, and DiGuiseppe answered the bell. I didn't expect any of the kids to get in on this, but this is a lesson that you take care of your own.

Strome gets shit on, myself being guilty of doing that, but he is a guy that doesn't back down. He's improved exponentially since being traded for. I am hopeful there is room long the way for him, but I think his future is up in the air.

I want Smith back. 1 year deal. He is perfect as an extra player that can fill in and will play tough.

Buchnevich did exactly what I expected. He's gotten to a different level of grit. He's probably getting suspended and if I had to guess, it's his last game as a Ranger. I wished it wouldn't be true, but it's a numbers game.

We're heading into an unknown now. It was comforting knowing as a fan that the team had a direction, and I still think that direction may still be intact. Are we pushing to jump from a non playoff team to a contender? This doesn't happen much in hockey. Football and basketball have that more often, and baseball is on part with hockey in going from worst to 1st.

At this point I wish Dolan decided to wait 1 more year. Unfortunately we'll never know what the plan Gorton had for this summer. He did everything to get the team to where it is, but he may never reap the benefits of building the most equitable franchise in the NHL at the moment.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Context: The team is in the middle of a rebuild. To blow it up and start again, what's the point with that? What's the new GM going to do differently from what Gorton was planning to do anyway? Trade the kids?

There may be another way to do this that does not "blow it up, start over or trade all the kids" Not sure what that is but apparently Dolan has ideas, shared them with Drury and they came to some agreement together or the move would not have been made.

You do this before the end of a season in this way, you are all but telegraphing a busy off season.

We all pretty much knew that as the youngest team in the league the Rangers had more work to do in this rebuild, but the complete lack of leadership, grit and tenacity exposed in these last few games was jarring at minimum.

The Rangers were laid out as a door mat by the teams they will need to beat to get to a Cup final.

One could say moves would have likely been made anyway. But I guess Dolan did not like what he was hearing. And now what's done is done and we shall see what Drury can do.

I just hope he's as good as they all say he is.

Reactions: leetch99

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
There may be another way to do this that does not "blow it up, start over or trade all the kids" Not sure what that is but apparently Dolan has ideas, shared them with Drury and they came to some agreement together or the move would not have been made.

Yeah, this isn't an impulsive decision. This was something calculated. There's a lot more to this than what we're being told.

You do this before the end of a season in this way, you are all but telegraphing a busy off season.

3 predictions.

1. Eichel is a Ranger, possibly by draft night.
2. Quinn is fired.
3. They get veterans with grit and two-way prowess, IE: Kuraly, Cizikas.

We all pretty much knew that as the youngest team in the league the Rangers had more work to do in this rebuild, but the complete lack of leadership, grit and tenacity exposed in these last few games was jarring at minimum.

The Tony incident exposed that. A better leadership group and coach and the Tony situation never gets to him and Georgiev getting into an altercation and it doesn't go above or out of the locker room and to upper management. That was an embarrassment.

The Rangers were laid out as a door mat by the teams they will need to beat to get to a Cup final.

Absolutely correct, going back to the play-in series against Carolina. Quinn's system also sucks against better teams with better coaches, like Carolina, Washington and the Islanders, 3 teams that the Rangers will have to go through once the schedule goes back to normal, never mind Tampa Bay.

One could say moves would have likely been made anyway. But I guess Dolan did not like what he was hearing. And now what's done is done and we shall see what Drury can do.

I just hope he's as good as they all say he is.

He was highly coveted for a reason and learned from Gorton, who learned from Sather. We all said the same about Gorton when he took over from Sather. Sather stuck around in an advisory role and Gorton did a pretty damn good job. Drury will have Sather by his side, which is scary in a sense, but Chris has been with the team long enough to know the ropes.

I have faith, but I see why fans are concerned.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Also, I hope like hell Hank never dresses for that organisation.
Send Georgiev to the moon and bring Hank in as our backup
Man what a crazy story that would be if after all these years, finally leaving the Rangers only to end up needing open heart surgery that prevents him from ever playing for that other team, to coming back and still winning a cup with us

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Thought the guys stepped up well. Smith did okay against the neanderthal man, considering how much size he gives up.

Also, atta boy Buch.

f*** that team with a rusty rake.
Agree here, too. Though this isn’t the path I wanted the team to take, i was impressed with the individuals who stepped up. Especially, Smith.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Send Georgiev to the moon and bring Hank in as our backup
Man what a crazy story that would be if after all these years, finally leaving the Rangers only to end up needing open heart surgery that prevents him from ever playing for that other team, to coming back and still winning a cup with us
No problem with Georgiev but I do like the Henrik angle.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad