GDT: Game 53 | Jackets against Devils | 02/14 | 7:30 pm

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
i can't keep up with the ying and yang on Elvis...he's clearly trying to find his game, it's not going to be overnight...he played well for the most part tonight...defense let him down
Yep, considering the defense they iced tonight, against one of the better teams, how could anyone be remotely upset . Elvis has played pretty well the past 6 games hes started .. which is g99d for us in the long run . If tonight results in us drafting Fantilli over Will Smith.. then it was all worth it to me …

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Not the ending they deserved after the way they played to come back and own possession.

But the game is 60 minutes not 58:56 minutes.

While the tank crowd enjoys this, I'd rather get a loser point or lose before that. That's just a disheartening way to end.

Also Peeke was bad tonight. He boxes to the outside okay but he never gets the puck unless it's a retrieval with no pressure.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
i can't keep up with the ying and yang on Elvis...he's clearly trying to find his game, it's not going to be overnight...he played well for the most part tonight...defense let him down
Two goals are his, once Gudbranson saved. I don't think yes. We'll see in the next game, I hope he will find his play soon.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Friends of mine that are Leafs fans that watched the home and home last weekend commented on how invisible Laine seemed to them......just not a player that commands or drives the play.

“That’s not the type of player he is”

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Of course the 1th. But he had bad position at the 3th goal.
I agree. On the 3rd one he was too far down the side preventing him from disrupting the pass with his stick and certainly having no chance to slide over (though I don't thinking he could have gotten over there regardless).

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Yeah, problem is that he’s a defenseman.

Or just another winger playing out of position.

He sure struggles to defend the rush while skating backwards.

At least he was winning some board battles in our end last night. Can't say that about most of our other D.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Thanks Andrew Peeke
Not a fan. He’s not good. I don’t take anything away from him being so willing to play the body and block shots, but, he’s almost the epitome of the “all the tools, no toolbox” type of player, and many of the tools aren’t in great shape either. He does the wrong things at the wrong times, constantly.
He sure struggles to defend the rush while skating backwards.

At least he was winning some board battles in our end last night. Can't say that about most of our other D.
His overall skating isn’t great. He’s actually VERY good with the puck though, to the point his skating “style” (and patience) becomes an asset IMO. He has good (offensive) instincts and timing WITH the puck.

As you say though, defensively, it’s the complete opposite. I think he has issues reading and reacting to things both on the rush and stationary in the defensive zone. He has plenty of issues around the net or deep in the zone, and I think it has more to do with “smarts” than it does “strength”.

I don’t think think he has an issue with size/strength in regards to these “battles” as some others seemingly do, I think his issues mainly stem from him being late to react initially, along with (similar to Sillinger) not being fully developed physically (for whatever reasons) which impacts his speed/acceleration, and him rarely getting a better angle on guys or tying sticks up quick enough around the net.

Reactions: cslebn

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Yeah, problem is that he’s a defenseman.

Or just another winger playing out of position.
While he’s definitely an offensive defenseman, after all he was second to Makar last yr G per 60, his defensive game has vastly improved . In almost every game I’ve looked at in the past 15 games he’s played , he’s been in the top 1/3 of players most of those games . I would argue he’s better than Werenski already , facilitating the power play . The Devils broadcast had him as the 2nd star last night . He now has 12p in 22 games , nearly playing at a point per game In his last 15 games . (he started season with 0 points until game 7). Also , on a brutally bad defensive team , he’s only -3 on the season .

Reactions: VT

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Not a fan. He’s not good. I don’t take anything away from him being so willing to play the body and block shots, but, he’s almost the epitome of the “all the tools, no toolbox” type of player, and many of the tools aren’t in great shape either. He does the wrong things at the wrong times, constantly.

His overall skating isn’t great. He’s actually VERY good with the puck though, to the point his skating “style” (and patience) becomes an asset IMO. He has good (offensive) instincts and timing WITH the puck.

As you say though, defensively, it’s the complete opposite. I think he has issues reading and reacting to things both on the rush and stationary in the defensive zone. He has plenty of issues around the net or deep in the zone, and I think it has more to do with “smarts” than it does “strength”.

I don’t think think he has an issue with size/strength in regards to these “battles” as some others seemingly do, I think his issues mainly stem from him being late to react initially, along with (similar to Sillinger) not being fully developed physically (for whatever reasons) which impacts his speed/acceleration, and him rarely getting a better angle on guys or tying sticks up quick enough around the net.

Watching the D, they all react pretty late. Boqvist is much better at reacting and winning the puck than Peeke or Berni or Bayreuther etc.

He definitely reacts to the transition out of the zone quickly :DD

I feel like for his size and his role (not a defensive D), he does a really good job winning the puck along the boards. Now if only he could defend in space around the net and while skating backwards.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Watching the D, they all react pretty late. Boqvist is much better at reacting and winning the puck than Peeke or Berni or Bayreuther etc.

He definitely reacts to the transition out of the zone quickly :DD

I feel like for his size and his role (not a defensive D), he does a really good job winning the puck along the boards. Now if only he could defend in space around the net and while skating backwards.
Yeah, it’s fascinating when the way a guy can “read plays” can change so drastically with or without the puck, or depending which zone he’s in. I hate to say it, but, there’s a level of “laziness” or mindset, that really needs to be changed there, when he shows the “vision” and “awareness” he shows on the PP or offensively. Then again, as I type this and think, maybe his issue really is the SPEED of everything happening at the NHL level. That seems to be the root of all his issues and a simple reason why he seems to excel on the PP, with simply more time.

Unlike Peeke, he does lack consistent intensity and that compounds all the issues he has. I think he’s shown that he’s actually a BETTER shot blocker than a guy like Peeke, just doesn’t put himself in the correct position or commit fully to the shot blocks consistently enough.

A Boqvist/Peeke hybrid would be a good defenseman.

Reactions: VT and cslebn

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
That last play should be set to the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme song.

Peeke flailing like a fish out of water in the slot.
Gudbranson trucking a guy into Elvis as the puck goes into the net.

Incredible stuff.

EDIT - upon further review, Gudbranson was late getting his stick down to stop the cross-crease pass and instead doinked Elvis in the helmet/facemask with his stick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowumbus

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I thought Jenner didn't tie his man up well enough on the last goal. Yeah, Peeke was taken out of the play going for the block and not being able to recover, but I thought Gudbranson did a good job with his guy, shoved him to the side initially, then when he tried to go around front, Gud lifted his stick and got his guy in a position to not be able to delect or shoot the puck. Had Jenner tied up his guys stick better, the puck probably slides through the crease. Elvis didn't run into Gudbranson until the puck was in the net. Solid play by the Devils.

Reactions: thebus88

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I thought Jenner didn't tie his man up well enough on the last goal. Yeah, Peeke was taken out of the play going for the block and not being able to recover, but I thought Gudbranson did a good job with his guy, shoved him to the side initially, then when he tried to go around front, Gud lifted his stick and got his guy in a position to not be able to delect or shoot the puck. Had Jenner tied up his guys stick better, the puck probably slides through the crease. Elvis didn't run into Gudbranson until the puck was in the net. Solid play by the Devils.

Bolded for emphasis that Peeke, Blankenburg and others do way too often.

Reactions: Monstershockey

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2