GDT: Game 53: Hurricanes @ Sabres - 2/7 7pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
I agree on Risto being traded but the team doesn't have a replacement for him.

Could the Sabres possibly be worse without him? I guess it's possible, but considering he's had some of the worst possession metrics in the entire league over the course of his career, and he plays so many minutes, I'm willing to roll the dice on that shit. We're not getting better with him. He's not getting better. Shut it down.

If Risto was left handed, a lot more of us would think that he's bad. A 6'4" RHD in the NHL is like a left-handed relief pitcher in MLB - coveted regardless of his results.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I didn't say I was leaving. And come on Dreakon, after so long, don't you at least believe I've earned the right to get pissed? I'd expect the same from you after all given the talent we have.
We'll see, but since other's were either thankful or in complete denial of what is going on with regards to the roster...……………………..what do you want me to say? I spent some time in Salida, Colorado, the wife and I for retirement are looking in that direction. We've been watching a lot of their games., They look good, young, but good. I don't know, we'd both think the switch would be easy, hard to say.
I suppose I'm just not there yet, but I don't have that many years invested as you do. Hopefully you stick with the good guys, but more importantly do what makes you and your family happy. ;)

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Could the Sabres possibly be worse without him? I guess it's possible, but considering he's had some of the worst possession metrics in the entire league over the course of his career, and he plays so many minutes, I'm willing to roll the dice on that ****. We're not getting better with him. He's not getting better. Shut it down.

If Risto was left handed, a lot more of us would think that he's bad. A 6'4" RHD in the NHL is like a left-handed relief pitcher in MLB - coveted regardless of his results.
or you know just cut down on his minutes.....and use him properly. Instead of constantly whining about one of the most physical defenseman in the league and wonder how soft the team would be without him.

Maut

Nov 30, 2018
Kind of wish these media members would ask the man himself instead of putting the questions in the twitter universe where he can get useless likes and retweets but not get a useful answer.
This has been my same though process for the past few weeks. I think most Media members just don't want to lose good graces with their sources/coaches. I do think that the NBA has significantly more balls when it comes to media asking crazy questions. Sometimes that ESPN level of reporting is good for a team/game (although usually it's cancer)

jucebox

Feb 7, 2019
Goaltenders might be a little unproven(namely Ullmark) but the defensive side of the game certainly does not do him any favors

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
or you know just cut down on his minutes.....and use him properly. Instead of constantly whining about one of the most physical defenseman in the league and wonder how soft the team would be without him.

People keep wanting to scapegoat this dude, but once again he just gets his shit done.

Tonight:
  • TOI leader
  • 50% CF% & GF%
  • 14/11 SCF/SCA
  • 9/5 HDCF/HDCA
  • Zero Offensive zone starts (yes, f***ing zero), while matched up against the highest quality of forward competition.
Honestly, even the analytics community has stopped complaining about him this year, Sabres fans can't seem to move past his poor historical analytics (because of the piss poor state of the team) for some reason.

The current core has never been the problem.

I think the number of people who don't believe this increase with every loss

Yes and double yes.

For some reason there is a growing amount of people that want get rid of our above replacement level players, simply because they're not perfect and also not able to elevate our below replacement level players. Meanwhile, teams like Nashville, Winnipeg, Tampa, and Toronto have been roster building for years by slowly upgrading the bottom 10% of their roster every year until they can boast a quality 18 player roster.

This team reminds me so much of the early Winnipeg/Chevy/Maurice years where there was young talent, but immature and not enough of it.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
People keep wanting to scapegoat this dude, but once again he just gets his **** done.

Tonight:
  • TOI leader
  • 50% CF% & GF%
  • 14/11 SCF/SCA
  • 9/5 HDCF/HDCA
  • Zero Offensive zone starts (yes, ****ing zero), while matched up against the highest quality of forward competition.
Honestly, even the analytics community has stopped complaining about him this year, Sabres fans can't seem to move past his poor historical analytics (because of the piss poor state of the team) for some reason.

Yes and double yes.

For some reason there is a growing amount of people that want get rid of our above replacement level players, simply because they're not perfect and also not able to elevate our below replacement level players. Meanwhile, teams like Nashville, Winnipeg, Tampa, and Toronto have been roster building for years by slowly upgrading the bottom 10% of their roster every year until they can boast a quality 18 player roster.

This team reminds me so much of the early Winnipeg/Chevy/Maurice years where there was young talent, but immature and not enough of it.
Unfortunately we were stupid enough to trade our Blake Wheeler for garbage.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Sam & Linus are probably hashing it out over a beer right now (Hutton probably wasn't invited as an 'old', see Gionta, Gorges)

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
People keep wanting to scapegoat this dude, but once again he just gets his **** done.

Tonight:
  • TOI leader
  • 50% CF% & GF%
  • 14/11 SCF/SCA
  • 9/5 HDCF/HDCA
  • Zero Offensive zone starts (yes, ****ing zero), while matched up against the highest quality of forward competition.

Yes and double yes.

Isn't Risto always a positive corsi player when paired with Pilut? It's partly why a lot of us hate that he keeps getting scratched.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Isn't Risto always a positive corsi player when paired with Pilut? It's partly why a lot of us hate that he keeps getting scratched.

He's a positive corsi player with Pilut, and a positive fenwick player with McCabe. He's basically a net positive without Scandella...

But in limited minutes, him and Dahlin don't seem to mesh, like at all.

Nedo801

Jul 13, 2017
Thanks. Been awake until the END. was buzzed with the game tying goal by Skinner. Screamed as well! Threw my Adidas cap into the corner already when Eichel missed the net, lol

Haha pretty much same story here. Match began 01:00 local time and I was at work 07:00 so not much sleep. Would have appreciated a win ..but at least I got to wake up the neighbours a few times.

Reactions: swisssabre

swisssabre

Jul 18, 2015
Sabres have to look for a goalie. Hutton and Ullmark aren't providing much right now
Sure. But.. put Lundqvist in our net. Same 'D' and even Lundqvist would look bad IMO. Nevertheless, we NEED a starter in goal!
Besides of a Top4 defender, a 2nd line Center & a Top4 Winger/Power Forward.

Botts must handle this situation. Unfortunately, he doesn't want to. I know a rental doesn't make any sense at this point, I agree. But....

Reactions: DON VITO

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Well, it was a fun game to watch. Not the prettiest, but good for the crowd.

Ullmark's numbers actually got worse. Updated below - Ullmark should get Thursdays against the Metro off from here on out:

Ullmark at home: .900 SV%, 3.41 GAA

October .935 SV% 2.00 GAA
November .922 SV%, 2.93 GAA
December .915 SV% 2.94 GAA
January .902 SV% 3.07 GAA
February .885 SV% 4.27 GAA - NOW .854 SV% 4.90 GAA

On Thursdays .886 SV% 4.82 GAA - NOW .860 SV% 5.18 GAA

Vs. Metropolitan .859 SV% 5.48 GAA - NOW .843 SV% 5.57 GAA

I fear a Ullmark shutout on the way.

Good luck tonight! Hate to see BUF and CAR fighting over what may be one spot left in the playoffs (CBJ results relevant)

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
LOL if you'd like, BUT, this group and into the foreseeable future WILL NOT WIN A CUP...……….

LET ME REPEAT THAT...……………….THE CURRENT TEAM COMBINED WITH THE CURRENT MANAGEMENT, ARE NOT...……………….GOING ………………………...TO WIN A CUP...……………..

Have fun suffering the 50 + yrs I have...………………………...
you're over-reacting....I've been watching them almost 40 years...We are still in the rebuilding process...Have to see what Botts does at the TDL and this off-season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad