Post-Game Talk: GAME #53: Canucks 1 @ the red-hot Flyers 2: 40+ shots can't get the job done

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't understand what Tim Schaller was supposed to be? Was he supposed to bring energy? Be a PK guy? A guy that makes big hits & scores occasionally?

Whatever Benning envisioned he'd bring its been a massive failure. Atleast he got Roussel.
Schaller is what he is, a depth winger who's no better than a half dozen players they already have in Utica. The guy I'd love to question is the bonehead in the pro scouting department who actually thought guys like Schaller and Gagner could be valuable depth pieces.

That's a guy who needs a new career in the fast food industry.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
some ppl think i'm an advanced stats guy but i'm not

and Schaller is one of those players you never notice, with average advanced stats

Roussel is one of those guys that are always noticeable whenever I've watched Dallas games.

It's really not difficult to be a pro scout

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I’m confused. He’s not classy? What has he done to prove otherwise?

I mean it depends if we're talking about classy on or off the ice. I think there is a difference between classy guy and classy player. Burrows seems like a great guy, and I don't think he was as dirty as people made him out to be, I wouldn't call him "classy" on the ice either. Bieksa seems like a pretty good guy, but I wouldn't call him a classy player either if we're talking about his conduct on the ice. Edler's shoulder/elbow have found their way into a few faces in the corners. I don't mind it so much, he's not chasing people around headshotting them, but he does play with a little bit of edge.

It's not so much that he's explicitly classless, I just think you're setting the bar pretty low for a classy guy on the ice if he's on that list. If we're just talking about classy off the ice, then sure but I think that applies to a lot of guys.

ep40-clearance-block-attempt.gif

I laughed when I saw this during the game, I'm glad you found a clip of it

Also, it looks like he actually got a piece of it with his foot. Imagine if we scored off of that :laugh:

Reactions: andyJH

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Schaller is what he is, a depth winger who's no better than a half dozen players they already have in Utica. The guy I'd love to question is the bonehead in the pro scouting department who actually thought guys like Schaller and Gagner could be valuable depth pieces.

That's a guy who needs a new career in the fast food industry.

As much Gagner would drive me mad from time to time last season I can atleast understand what he is. They thought wrong that he would be better with more opportunity. But atleast we know he's a bottom 6/depth offensive player.

With Shaller I legitimately don't know what his role is or where he fits. There's been no real glimpse of him bringing anything at all to the team. And we still have him for another year.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
erm, he's .500 with a .922 save % and a 2.52 GAA after being traded to the WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE. Nice try though..
He does well against LAK and Carolina I will give you that...but then craps the bed against good teams in Pittsburgh (5 goals against) and SJS...defending a career backup goalie because he has a handful of decent stats vs bottom teams - too funny!

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
He does well against LAK and Carolina I will give you that...but then craps the bed against good teams in Pittsburgh (5 goals against) and SJS...defending a career backup goalie because he has a handful of decent stats vs bottom teams - too funny!

Ignoring the way that same goalie was totally misused by the Canucks is what's too funny; check out the starts he got here and the teams he was supposed to beat after weeks off sometimes. Nobody would excel with the schedule he played and if they do the same thing to Demko (or DiPietro) it is likely they will ruin them before they get a chance to shine. I'm betting Nilsson re-signs with Ottawa at the end of the year...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad