Post-Game Talk: GAME #53: Canucks 1 @ the red-hot Flyers 2: 40+ shots can't get the job done

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Looks like facial injury to Edler as he will do x rays, just a pure freak accident.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Re:Edler injury

I hate to admitt this but when i saw a player laying down looking unconscious and injured all i thought off was " please not pettersson "

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Give the Canucks credit for an excellent effort but there were times in this game when they looked as disorganized as they have at any point during this season. Hart was a key factor in the loss but also some lack of finish by Vancouver.

Good

Edler - will be missed if out any length of time. Having an outstanding season and this injury may create a quandary heading into the TD/re-signing situation.

Tanev - usual good effort.

Stecher - very strong as the game went on. Evolving into a true bona vide NHL player. Every facet of game is improving

Hutton - making the right play consistently. Got some of his mojo back after the break.

Virtanen - goal maybe should have counted. Moved the puck well and used speed to create forchecking pressure and plays off the rush. If you think he will get a little better hands as career progresses then you keep that potential. If you don't think he will get more touch, you have to see what he might be worth to others

Sutter - liked his game. Skating better and good defensively. Looks like he is finally getting game together

Markstrom - provided enough saves to give the team a chance.

Not Good

Pouliot - just brutal. It's all be said and then re-said many times

Shaller - just such a lack of any skill. Toss up as to who would be more effective - Shaller or Granlund

Others

Goldobin - made a number of sweet passes and at least got himself in a position to score. Question right now is does this player have the speed to take advantage of the skill he has. If he could get to the puck a little quicker, get himself more space he could be very good. But all that remains an "if". I think the effort is there but maybe the high end speed needed just isn't.

Pettersson - one of his weaker games. Looked rattled in this game. Gonna happen at times

Horvat - Canucks have to get more out of him. Not bad but not as good as he needs to be for this team to go anywhere.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The entire Edler scenario was so utterly predictable. The next guy to go down is likely going to be Tanev. And if so, that would basically be it for the playoff drive.

You just knew that the Canucks awful blueline would eventually be their undoing. There really isn't a single guy they can actually move up into a top four role. Basically the same thing that happened during their 12 game slide back in November.

But looking at it positively. There's enough time before the TDL for the Canucks to be big-time sellers. That's as it should be, given the massive black hole on the blueline.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Hart looked great, but we couldn't get more than once bounce, from Harts one atrocious play, all game. Goldobin and Virtanen had numerous great chances stolen from them, Boeser was doing his best Calder finalist Boeser impression, but...it just didn't come together.

Pettersson looked a little off tonight after his collision too.

Markstrom looked fantastic, he held us in there with so much going wrong.

I'd rather have Gudbranson on the PP over Pouliot. If Edler is out longer than a game or two, we need a new LHD. And before i have a bunch of pr-tank trolls roll up on me, I don't mean to make the playoffs. I mean for this team to function properly.

Horvat did his best....but yikes, Schaller is not a good player for our top six. I know it was last minute, but Granlund might have even gotten a point if he had been in instead of Schaller. Guy wasn't doing our offense any favours.

Stetcher had an effective night. Roussel and Beagle looked alright, and I even saw Eriksson win a foot race.

Any other night and we would have won that one, but someone had us on no win mode.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

andyJH

Dec 28, 2005
ep40-clearance-block-attempt.gif

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Give the Canucks credit for an excellent effort but there were times in this game when they looked as disorganized as they have at any point during this season. Hart was a key factor in the loss but also some lack of finish by Vancouver.

Good

Edler - will be missed if out any length of time. Having an outstanding season and this injury may create a quandary heading into the TD/re-signing situation.

Tanev - usual good effort.

Stecher - very strong as the game went on. Evolving into a true bona vide NHL player. Every facet of game is improving

Hutton - making the right play consistently. Got some of his mojo back after the break.

Virtanen - goal maybe should have counted. Moved the puck well and used speed to create forchecking pressure and plays off the rush. If you think he will get a little better hands as career progresses then you keep that potential. If you don't think he will get more touch, you have to see what he might be worth to others

Sutter - liked his game. Skating better and good defensively. Looks like he is finally getting game together

Markstrom - provided enough saves to give the team a chance.

Not Good

Pouliot - just brutal. It's all be said and then re-said many times

Shaller - just such a lack of any skill. Toss up as to who would be more effective - Shaller or Granlund

Others

Goldobin - made a number of sweet passes and at least got himself in a position to score. Question right now is does this player have the speed to take advantage of the skill he has. If he could get to the puck a little quicker, get himself more space he could be very good. But all that remains an "if". I think the effort is there but maybe the high end speed needed just isn't.

Pettersson - one of his weaker games. Looked rattled in this game. Gonna happen at times

Horvat - Canucks have to get more out of him. Not bad but not as good as he needs to be for this team to go anywhere.
Disagree on Tanev, he’s good overall but he fan on a shot which lead to the Vorceck breakaway goal

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
In positive news, Madden just scored in OT in the beanpot semifinal. Was incredible in this game. Looks like a 1st round talent

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I love how Hutton thinks the game when he has the puck on his stick, he's just much more of a playermaker than Edler is

I notice he gets in pretty deep in their zone, I regularly notice him in front of the other team's net, behind it, or in the corners. Now he looks to be carrying it more as well, it must be nice to not have Gudbranson as the guy covering for you anymore.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't understand what Tim Schaller was supposed to be? Was he supposed to bring energy? Be a PK guy? A guy that makes big hits & scores occasionally?

Whatever Benning envisioned he'd bring its been a massive failure. Atleast he got Roussel.
How Schaller scored 12 goals and 22 points last year is beyond me. He'd be lucky to hit 10 points here.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I only saw the tail end of it, but did I catch Shorty calling Edler a "classy player"? I love Edler but lmao

Also Goldy needs to start packing or something cause he gets robbed more than anyone I've ever seen

I’m confused. He’s not classy? What has he done to prove otherwise?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad