Pre-Game Talk: GAME #52 | LEAFS @ HABS | MONDAY @7PM | SPORTSNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
It’s always going to be a challenge with Lilj and Sandin being waiver eligible. You always want to bring in ample depth and you never want to lose that depth to waivers. They’ll have to bring more than any defenseman we can sign for $1m or less in UFA. I think Sandin is there, but I’m not sure if Lilj will be a mainstay next year due to this.
There will always be lots of bottom pairing guys available in FA. I would have no worries about signing depth.

Give Sandin/Liljegren a look full time until the TDL and if they really can't cut it try to add to the top 4 if need be. They need games at this level if we want them to develop.

Assuming Columbus sucks again Seth Jones ans others could potentially be available at the deadline.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Give Sandin/Liljegren a look full time until the TDL

This is what I'm saying is particularly challenging. Dubas isn't going to want to get all of their defensive depth at the TDL, that will cost more in futures. What they're most likely going to do to increase the chances of winning a Stanley cup now is to use waiver exemption now (in Sandin and Liljegren), fill up all 6 active roster defensive spots with waiver-eligible UFA signings for the period between opening day and TDL, then see where things are with cap accrual and trade for even more depth where needed at the TDL.

The times when we'll see Sandin on the roster are when:

a) There are injuries on defense (Sandin will fill in)
b) There are no injuries on forward (We accrue a decent amount of cap early so we can play 21-22 man game-day roster and scratch a defensemen for Sandin and/or Liljegren to come in)

This is just how contenders that are pinching cap space operate, and it poses a challenge for non-game-breaking young talent. You can't just be "giving looks" at the cost of depth you need to win playoff series. The player needs to be a proper game-breaking talent that you're going to choose to waive a Bogosian or a Simmonds to get on the roster.

Like I said Sandin might be entering game-breaking territory given how well he's played since he's come back, so there might be a different formula next season. But I don't think we'll see both Sandin and Liljegren draw in like that. It will end up costing us too much depth given the cap situation.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Should have made it a 40/48 game season and make sure cable viewers get at least one game per night. I'd watch the Leafs every night but not as intensely if they are playing 9 or 10 games versus the same 6 teams (even every other night).
I agree but the flip side is it's pushed me to watched a lot more out of division games this year and have been following a team in each , problem now is 3 of the teams I've been rooting for are at or near 1st in their division Doh ! Could make for some conflicting feelings in the Semi's eh .

Reactions: ToneDog

genk

Nov 15, 2015
Is it just me, or does Simmonds have some of the lowest hockey IQ ever? He's got great tools, but he makes a terrible decision every other shift that ends up in a turnover.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Excited for Muzzin-Liljegren.

That's exactly where he should be next year assuming Holl gets picked by Seattle.

Let Holl rest for the next 2-3 games while he deals with the facial injury. Let Liljegren get some reps in while getting Holl some much deserved rest.
Yep, if Holl get picked:
Reilly - Brodie
Muzzin - Liljegren
Sandin - Dermott

If Dermot gets picked:
Reilly - Brodie
Muzzin - Liljegren
Sandin - Holl

Reactions: LeafChief

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Is it just me, or does Simmonds have some of the lowest hockey IQ ever? He's got great tools, but he makes a terrible decision every other shift that ends up in a turnover.
I don’t find that. I think he sees the ice well but he doesn’t have great hands so he can’t seam or saucer passes, and he can’t really deke very well either. . Seems like a pretty heads up player to me.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Just a note that this is on SNO... though it will indeed be on TSN for me since I am in the Habs/Sens region :-( I have to say, one of the negative bits of this season is so many regional games vs the Habs and Sens resulting in having to watch their broadcast. Though, vs Sens we seem to share the pbp teams, but having to watch the Habs broadcast sucks.

Looking for another solid defensive game. Prey on their mistakes and make as few as possibile ourselves.

This next week plus serves only to get in playoff mode. I would like to see a rotational rest schedule provided the players are onboard with that.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Just a note that this is on SNO... though it will indeed be on TSN for me since I am in the Habs/Sens region :-( I have to say, one of the negative bits of this season is so many regional games vs the Habs and Sens resulting in having to watch their broadcast. Though, vs Sens we seem to share the pbp teams, but having to watch the Habs broadcast sucks.

Looking for another solid defensive game. Prey on their mistakes and make as few as possibile ourselves.

This next week plus serves only to get in playoff mode. I would like to see a rotational rest schedule provided the players are onboard with that.
Yeah the Leafs calendar lists both TSN2 and SNO, I just confirmed broadcast for the GTA tonight is indeed on Sportsnet (title updated) -- the game Thurs, May 6 broadcast will be on TSN.

Reactions: wingman75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad