GDT: Game 52: Coyotes @ Quackers - 8 PM - FSAZ

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm not sure that is the best move, but it may happen. If you look at this season, whenever Domingue came in to take over after a struggling goalie, he didn't do too well.

I think he needs about 1/2 more season (2016/2017) as a regular starter in the A (the other half would be as a backup to a healthy Smith)

That's probably true, but if our AHL team remains a dumpster fire he's better off in whatever role he can get up here. Obviously we hope the situation improves but I'm not optimistic right now.

But the development track of the position is all over the map. There are guys like Schneider and Varlamov who spent a lot of time on their NHL clubs as a backup or 1B at young ages. Might not be a determent in this case here either.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Domingue is going to want a 1 way deal, so he's either the backup next year or platooning.

Just get Mike Smith the hell out of here.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
General rule of thumb is 150 games before you're ready to be a full-time starter in the NHL. As it stands, Domingue has 43 ECHL, 58 AHL, and 26 NHL. That's 127. He could very well hit 150 by season's end.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Save the buyout cash and stick him in the expansion draft. Vegas will take him.

Yeah, we're probably not going to be a playoff team next year anyway, so just let him rot on the roster for 2016-2017.

Even if Vegas doesn't take him, we would only be stuck with a four year buy-out at that point, instead of six years, if we buy him out this offseason.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Only Ottawa and Columbus have more GAs than us this season, so we probably can't move either of our active goalies. Still, I suppose a team might be interested in Domingue who showed that he can step up if necessary. So perhaps a team looking for a goalie who can step into the starting position in the next 2-3 seasons might be interested. It would have to be a team that Domingue could split starts (or get at least 40% of the games)

So, perhaps swap with Carolina (for Nedeljkovic or Altshuller), Columbus (Korpisalo or Forsberg), New Jersey (Kinkaid), NY Islanders (Greiss or Berube), NY Rangers (Halverson), Philadelphia (Stolarz), Tampa Bay (Gudlevskis), Toronto (Sparks or Bibeau), or Washington (Grubauer) is a possibility (other players/picks would most likely need to be involved)

I'm fine with waiting it out and re-signing Domingue as well, but a few of the above moves may help us a bit this season.

Domingue is a RFA, so if DM wants him, he will be here next year.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Domingue is a RFA, so if DM wants him, he will be here next year.

Same could be said if we moved him (to another team).

I doubt Domingue would holdout for a one-way contract (here or elsewhere); that would be his next deal. So, 2-3 years would be a decent length.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad