GDT: Game 52: Blue Jackets @ Avalanche - 7PM - Falling Like the Farenheit

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Can anyone give me a valid reason as to why Ghetto and Bourque shouldn't be on waivers this morning? They are both completely worthless, and should be gone ASAP. Can anyone tell me the last time Ghetto scored? I can, it was mid December, almost a month and a half ago. He doesn't kill penalties, he just wastes space. As for Bourque, is any player in the league who has played more games without scoring a goal? I doubt it, not to mention his only good quality was PK, which he is awful at now, so he needs to get the f*** out of here.

Also are there any good reasons why those two should be playing minutes over Greer and O'Connor? Both of those guys have earned the opportunity to play minutes at the NHL level based off their play in the AHL.

If you don't give your minor league players who have worked hard for a shot a real opportunity, you're going to stating rubbing players the wrong way.

It would be one thing if we were a good team then minor leaguers have to wait until there is an injury, but we are terrible and have multiple guys who have done shit for months. There is absolutely no reason at this point in time that Greer, O'Connor, Graves and Frank (when healthy) shouldn't be regulars to see what they can do. I know Ghetto, Bourque, Nemeth, Barberio, Nieto, and our goalies suck. I don't need to find out any more about them.

I just don't understand the mentality of this franchise. We keep trying to shove the square peg into the round hole. It doesn't f***ing fit, stop trying to make this work. I'm not saying that inserting these minor league guys will instantly fix all the problems. But we sure as hell should use this time to see if any of those minor league guys can make a positive impact on the team. Hell it wouldn't take that much, all they'd have to do is score once to be better than Bourque.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don’t think Bednar is necessarily the problem here... but I find it really hard to justify keeping him here when we’ve now had two runs of play where we’ve been by far the worst team in the league.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Can anyone give me a valid reason as to why Ghetto and Bourque shouldn't be on waivers this morning? They are both completely worthless, and should be gone ASAP. Can anyone tell me the last time Ghetto scored? I can, it was mid December, almost a month and a half ago. He doesn't kill penalties, he just wastes space. As for Bourque, is any player in the league who has played more games without scoring a goal? I doubt it, not to mention his only good quality was PK, which he is awful at now, so he needs to get the **** out of here.

Also are there any good reasons why those two should be playing minutes over Greer and O'Connor? Both of those guys have earned the opportunity to play minutes at the NHL level based off their play in the AHL.

If you don't give your minor league players who have worked hard for a shot a real opportunity, you're going to stating rubbing players the wrong way.

It would be one thing if we were a good team then minor leaguers have to wait until there is an injury, but we are terrible and have multiple guys who have done **** for months. There is absolutely no reason at this point in time that Greer, O'Connor, Graves and Frank (when healthy) shouldn't be regulars to see what they can do. I know Ghetto, Bourque, Nemeth, Barberio, Nieto, and our goalies suck. I don't need to find out any more about them.

I just don't understand the mentality of this franchise. We keep trying to shove the square peg into the round hole. It doesn't ****ing fit, stop trying to make this work. I'm not saying that inserting these minor league guys will instantly fix all the problems. But we sure as hell should use this time to see if any of those minor league guys can make a positive impact on the team. Hell it wouldn't take that much, all they'd have to do is score once to be better than Bourque.

Because Ghetto is a top 6 player and Bourque is a top end PK guy!

Reactions: chet1926

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Can anyone give me a valid reason as to why Ghetto and Bourque shouldn't be on waivers this morning? They are both completely worthless, and should be gone ASAP. Can anyone tell me the last time Ghetto scored? I can, it was mid December, almost a month and a half ago. He doesn't kill penalties, he just wastes space. As for Bourque, is any player in the league who has played more games without scoring a goal? I doubt it, not to mention his only good quality was PK, which he is awful at now, so he needs to get the **** out of here.

It would be one thing if we were a good team then minor leaguers have to wait until there is an injury, but we are terrible and have multiple guys who have done **** for months. There is absolutely no reason at this point in time that Greer, O'Connor, Graves and Frank (when healthy) shouldn't be regulars to see what they can do. I know Ghetto, Bourque, Nemeth, Barberio, Nieto, and our goalies suck. I don't need to find out any more about them.

I just don't understand the mentality of this franchise. We keep trying to shove the square peg into the round hole. It doesn't ****ing fit, stop trying to make this work. I'm not saying that inserting these minor league guys will instantly fix all the problems. But we sure as hell should use this time to see if any of those minor league guys can make a positive impact on the team. Hell it wouldn't take that much, all they'd have to do is score once to be better than Bourque.

Normally i don't agree with you, like ever. But this time i do. Calling up Greer/O'Connor and Franc is something they should have done weeks/month ago. Maybe you could even add Barberio to the list of guys who should be waived.

They need to try something different. I totally get that Sakic doesn't want to give up futures atm (because we are still not there yet) but shaking things up with a handful of prospect for a handful of nogoods is something they could/should do. Like RIGHT f***ING NOW. But for some reason i highly doubt that it happens.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Normally i don't agree with you, like ever. But this time i do. Calling up Greer/O'Connor and Franc is something they should have done weeks/month ago. Maybe you could even add Barberio to the list of guys who should be waived.

They need to try something different. I totally get that Sakic doesn't want to give up futures atm (because we are still not there yet) but shaking things up with a handful of prospect for a handful of nogoods is something they could/should do. Like RIGHT ****ING NOW. But for some reason i highly doubt that it happens.
Agreed there is a way to mix it up right now, without selling off the future. I don't think anyone wants to trade all our top assets for temporary fixes and nor should they.

But for a team that has been in a downward free fall for two months, it's absurd to have not shaken things up with guys from the minors who have earned promotions and stapled plugs to the press box or the Eagles.

I just wish we had media personnel that weren't afraid to ask why certain players are getting playing time when they clearly aren't bringing much to the table. Or why we haven't seen some minor league guys when we have lost like 20 of 26 or some bullshit. Put some pressure on these clowns to answer a tough question. Let them know that we are aware that they are playing a bunch of guys that suck.

I also agree that we won't see any of those minor guys until maybe the last 5-10 games. We are just too damn stubborn and are going to make that square peg fit in the round hole no matter what.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's kind of ironic but last night was one of the few nights I didn't think Ghetto and Bourque were worthless. Bourque even made a nice setup play on one of the goals.

A guy who I did think was completely worthless, however (apart from Grubauer of course) was Nemeth. I'm sure a bunch of you noticed his Bobby Orr impression in the neutral zone that resulted in a bad turnover.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I'd say the answer to the first question is that subtraction alone won't help the team. The second question is the better one. I can't see much reason why Greer isn't called up, and given an actual chance to succeed with the Avs. Especially given the fact he's done everything you could ask of him in the AHL this year. Bednar just seems to have an aversion to players he thinks resembles himself or something.

LOC I wouldn't be opposed to trying again, but I'm not sure what we saw earlier in the season wasn't him playing over his head. He didn't really duplicate that level of play the following callup.

I can't figure out why Bednar places such a high priority on ineffective small/speedy players over more physical ones. His obsession with Ben Smith will confound me for the rest of my days. This stubborn preference I think comes back to his stubborn unwillingness to adjust his system, and style of play. He just won't do it, even when it's not working.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I'd say the answer to the first question is that subtraction alone won't help the team. The second question is the better one. I can't see much reason why Greer isn't called up, and given an actual chance to succeed with the Avs. Especially given the fact he's done everything you could ask of him in the AHL this year. Bednar just seems to have an aversion to players he thinks resembles himself or something.

LOC I wouldn't be opposed to trying again, but I'm not sure what we saw earlier in the season was him playing over his head. He didn't really duplicate that level of play the following callup.

I can't figure out why Bednar places such a high priority on ineffective small/speedy players over more physical ones. His obsession with Ben Smith will confound me for the rest of my days. This stubborn preference I think comes back to his stubborn unwillingness to adjust his system, and style of play. He just won't do it, even when it's not working.
My problem with Greer and O'Connor is the fact they haven't been given any real shot. 5-7 minutes on the 4th line isn't going to show anything.

Why not put Greer with Soderberg for like 13-15 minutes for a few games, see if that does anything. What do we have to lose by doing this? We can't possibly get any worse.

Our coach like you said is stubborn and has a love affair for crappy unskilled guys who work hard, because that is what he was. That's why we see guys like Dries and Bourque in the lineup every night even though they shouldn't be near a NHL roster. They stink and offer nothing of value but coach has a soft spot for them. And guys like Greer who actually has some potential gets bounced around more than a basketball and is judged way more harshly by Bednar than clowns like Bourque.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad