GDT: Game 52: Blue Jackets @ Avalanche - 7PM - Falling Like the Farenheit

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
Next season Avs will be ready to make the playoffs consistently. Adding all that young talent and an FA will rejuvenate the 2nd line. Also, a chance to flush out Varly and bring in a fresh starter.
That’s the way I see it too. Maybe us sucking this year helps us even more in the long run. We’re all hoping we hit the jackpot with the Sens pick but hell the way we’re playing we might just get someone pretty good with our own pick. Add those 2 players and add a free agent or 2 to a lineup full of guys that will be more experienced is a good recipe for success. We hoped we fixed the goaltending with getting Grubi but who knows now. They’ll get it fixed though. This is all frustrating for us but being patient with this team and the direction it’s going has the chance to be quite rewarding in the end. The balls in Sakic’s court now and we’ll have to sit back and see what he does.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I'll still fulfill my GDT obligation but otherwise I think I'm done watching for now. If this organization doesn't care...why should I? I mean...they made a MASSIVE investment in goaltending this season and seem fine just in flushing it.
Fully agree what's the point of caring about the organization, when they don't give a shit.

I can't name one player, coach, management personnel or owner that cares if we win or lose. If we truly cared something would have been done the second MacK snapped on Bednar. But here we are many games later, with terrible result after terrible result and our team just plugs away like everything is wonderful.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So when is this Sakic press conference so we can hear him praise Bednar, and say that this was a year for young kids to grow. I guess the kids will keep growing on this team because all they gonna do is keep sucking, drafting young kids and watchng them grow. God know when it ends

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
They had a game plan to be defense 1st in this game and still allowed 6 goals, I dont even wanna know how many they'd allow if the game plan was something else

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Definitely frees up the evenings.

MacK wants out. Keep the hari kari knives away from Bednar. Take no joy in looking at this team this way.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
They had a game plan to be defense 1st in this game and still allowed 6 goals, I dont even wanna know how many they'd allow if the game plan was something else
I wonder if this is part of the problem. Have they strayed too far from the path that brought them success earlier in the season? It's like they've been stabbed and are trying to stop the bleeding, but the stabber just keeps on stabbin. Maybe they should take his knife away first?

Reactions: MacBradley

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I wonder if this is part of the problem. Have they strayed too far from the path that brought them success earlier in the season? It's like they've been stabbed and are trying to stop the bleeding, but the stabber just keeps on stabbin. Maybe they should take his knife away first?
Clearly this team is completely lost and getting out of this slump is gonna be nearly impossible for the rest of this season, and major changes needed in the offseason

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If I was a player in that locker room I 100% would have snapped at Varlamov/Grubauer by now lol like there's no way I could look either of those scrubs in the eyes and not lose my mind. Especially if I was Nathan MacKinnon

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Definitely frees up the evenings.

MacK wants out. Keep the hari kari knives away from Bednar. Take no joy in looking at this team this way.
Not sure he wants out, he just wants a decent coach. Something Bednar isn't.

It would be very short sighted of MacK to bail. Especially considering if we finish poorly Bednar is probably out, we have tons of cap space to lure a top UFA, we more than likely have two top end picks, Makar the best prospect not in the NHL. It'd be silly on his part to not see where this heads. Lots of possibilities moving forward.

Not to mention him demanding a trade would hurt his reputation, look at McDavid if he isn't demanding a trade then MacK needs to keep his mouth shut and just play.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'll still fulfill my GDT obligation but otherwise I think I'm done watching for now. If this organization doesn't care...why should I? I mean...they made a MASSIVE investment in goaltending this season and seem fine just in flushing it.
I just don't know what you folks think or want to happen? Nuclear bomb the team again? More coaches and GMs are towards Bednar and Sakic personality than they are to either Tallon or Torts outspoken oddballs. Sakic always seemed like a very patient man, it might drive us fans' crazy and it might be the incorrect decision in the long run, but he isn't changing from what he was like ten years ago, five years ago, or tomorrow. Avs as an organization have always done things in offseasons, again not sure if that is a necessarily correct way of doing things, but every coach they fired in the last decade has come during the offseason. Almost every major trade they made happens in the offseason (except for Duchene and EJ). They're simply an offseason, but to say "they don't care" is just visual aesthetics and nothing more. On the surface they always look quiet, again this isn't anything new. During the Atlanta Thrashers season they kept things positive as much as possible and quiet when it looked bad. That is probably from Kroenke and how he wants things run more than anything and that business 101 (take all the abuse and stay quiet).

As a fan I wanted Francouz to play like three months ago, but if it hasn't happened yet I am not going to force myself to believe that it will happen any time now until the trade deadline. I do agree with anyone that Avs are still very much in it and goaltending has let us down majority of the time since November, but we also need to realise that in regards to playoff contenders we just are not there yet either. Advance stats might be on our side, but the eye-test also proves we're some years behind Jets or Predators, which 100% said in the past we would get crushed by. If people want to stop watching because they hate how the Avs are ran, they absolutely have the power to do so, but just don't play this double standard game once they start winning with the organization running the same philosophy. I will end this incoherent ramble, but those are my two cents.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
I just don't know what you folks think or want to happen? Nuclear bomb the team again? More coaches and GMs are towards Bednar and Sakic personality than they are to either Tallon or Torts outspoken oddballs. Sakic always seemed like a very patient man, it might drive us fans' crazy and it might be the incorrect decision in the long run, but he isn't changing from what he was like ten years ago, five years ago, or tomorrow. Avs as an organization have always done things in offseasons, again not sure if that is a necessarily correct way of doing things, but every coach they fired in the last decade has come during the offseason. Almost every major trade they made happens in the offseason (except for Duchene and EJ). They're simply an offseason, but to say "they don't care" is just visual aesthetics and nothing more. On the surface they always look quiet, again this isn't anything new. During the Atlanta Thrashers season they kept things positive as much as possible and quiet when it looked bad. That is probably from Kroenke and how he wants things run more than anything and that business 101 (take all the abuse and stay quiet).

As a fan I wanted Francouz to play like three months ago, but if it hasn't happened yet I am not going to force myself to believe that it will happen any time now until the trade deadline. I do agree with anyone that Avs are still very much in it and goaltending has let us down majority of the time since November, but we also need to realise that in regards to playoff contenders we just are not there yet either. Advance stats might be on our side, but the eye-test also proves we're some years behind Jets or Predators, which 100% said in the past we would get crushed by. If people want to stop watching because they hate how the Avs are ran, they absolutely have the power to do so, but just don't play this double standard game once they start winning with the organization running the same philosophy. I will end this incoherent ramble, but those are my two cents.

There's value to remaining patient. It's worked out well for TB and the Jets. But, there's a lack of willingness to adapt that bothers me most. Will Bednar be unable to make adjustments in crucial playoff games? Will Sakic be able to make an important trade or call up for a key player? I don't have faith in this organization. Not since they stood by Iginla and Beauchemin to take this team down the drain two seasons ago. Most ordinary people would have scratched those guys or put them in the minors. But, these guys didn't. Why? Why did you keep playing them? Why do you keep playing Ian Cole. Why do you not try calling up Francouz? Do you enjoy losing? This team is as bad as Arsenal in it's team mentality. And, they both have the same owner.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

Whether they care or not, they are very passive in building this team. They have made the playoffs twice in how many years?, too lazy to go back and check, and haven't won a round. In each of the recent playoff years, the team went backwards instead of forward. They are suppose to build into a season where they make the playoffs, not go backwards.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
There's value to remaining patient. It's worked out well for TB and the Jets. But, there's a lack of willingness to adapt that bothers me most. Will Bednar be unable to make adjustments in crucial playoff games? Will Sakic be able to make an important trade or call up for a key player? I don't have faith in this organization. Not since they stood by Iginla and Beauchemin to take this team down the drain two seasons ago. Most ordinary people would have scratched those guys or put them in the minors. But, these guys didn't. Why? Why did you keep playing them? Why do you keep playing Ian Cole. Why do you not try calling up Francouz? Do you enjoy losing? This team is as bad as Arsenal in it's team mentality. And, they both have the same owner.
You make a good point in regards to adjustment and adaption, however the bold is just way off from any strong point you made in the beginning. No team would have scratched Iginla or Beauch. Don't get me wrong they both absolutely sucked and by a huge amount, but were on the tail end of their careers. It would look more bush league and give your organization a terrible image for future UFAs to scratch a potential future HOFer like Iginla. Avs finally realised how bad Beauchemin was and bought out his last year (that's doing something). Ian Cole is fine, he isn't a perfect, but makes this team absolutely better. Your perception is off if you think he is at Zanon, Guenin, Holden, or Beauchemin level of bad.

Arsenal was inherited an terrible team from the Wenger and Ivan era, of course Kroenke not putting money in it might say what he is as an owner. I am not trying to defend him, Avs lost some years as well with the Patrick Roy experiment which a part of it has put us into this position now.

Whether they care or not, they are very passive in building this team. They have made the playoffs twice in how many years?, too lazy to go back and check, and haven't won a round. In each of the recent playoff years, the team went backwards instead of forward. They are suppose to build into a season where they make the playoffs, not go backwards.
I don't know, Jets fans said the same thing about Cheveldayoff and now they're cashing in on their golden age. They went through some problems like terrible goaltending like we are, but eventually had enough patience to find something good (or build a team that isn't reliant on goaltending).

I don't want to say that patience is the answer here because we've been through so much of it, I think we as fans have a right to be pissed a bit here. However, we're entering a time where our AHL is filled with a lot of not highly-skilled but solid depth pieces and this draft is lining up to help increase the highly-skilled part in our depth. Perhaps we need another year of losing to right this ship in the long run. As I said before, I much rather have problems be exposed now than when we're up against the Predators in a game 7 and get Pekka Rinne'd in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad