GDT: Game 51: Vegas @ Coyotes - 7:00 PM - BSAZ+

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
But are they willing to pay that price every night, floating through is so much easier.

Exactly the question. If they aren't... What has to change to get them to that level.

I don't expect a team to be at 100% every game of the season...but it should be way more often than it is now.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Exactly the question. If they aren't... What has to change to get them to that level.

I don't expect a team to be at 100% every game of the season...but it should be way more often than it is now.
Sometimes you just have to consider that some players just aren't willing to. Not many Coyotes have shown that they are willing to get their noses dirty most nights. A good start might be choosing to keep half and losing the other half. How to pick? No idea? Of the "core" guys I mean.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Bizarre season. It was supposed to be an evaluation year. Well, we now know that Chychrun and Garland are real. We still have major questions about consistency regarding Keller, Schmaltz and Dvorak. OEL looks bad. Kessel looks good. Doesn’t matter much in either case, as it’s Unlikely either agree to go anywhere else anyway.

Bunting has been a great surprise. And I’d say Hill has been good too. Encouraging couple of pieces from Tucson.

Meanwhile, our three top prospects had horribly disappointing seasons down there. But they could really be meaningless bad seasons as the team is suddenly such a mess. Not an evaluation year for Hayton, Jenik and Soderstrom. Just a lost year. Unfortunately, Hayton’s second consecutive lost year.

If BA was hoping this season would reveal a lot about the best course of action, I think those hopes were dashed. I know I’m as confused about this team as I was back when he got hired. LOL

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Ekman-Larsson was very good, he was the best defenseman last night. Lost count of the times he separated puck from man with intelligent play.

Some concern about Chychrun. Either he was carrying an injury or he was falling into the old trap of trying to be everywhere all at once. Neither is good, so hopefully just a down game for him.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I don't know this band, but that pancake probably has too much baking soda in it, hence why it's too dark and flattened. The website is good, but his book is even better and more in depth. It's like analytics for cooking.

If our coach analyzed our team even half as much as you analyzed the pancake, we would probably be closer to Minnesota's point totals than the Blues.

Reactions: Canis Latrans

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What a frustrating team. Plays the best team in the League presently very well after absolutely dropping a deuce against division doormats. Just when you think you are out these bums reel you right back in!!!!!
Yup. That's the DNA of this team. INCONSISTENCY.

Reactions: cobra427

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sometimes you just have to consider that some players just aren't willing to. Not many Coyotes have shown that they are willing to get their noses dirty most nights. A good start might be choosing to keep half and losing the other half. How to pick? No idea? Of the "core" guys I mean.
If the players know there is no accountability and they can get away without getting their nose dirty, they will. Human nature.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ekman-Larsson was very good, he was the best defenseman last night. Lost count of the times he separated puck from man with intelligent play.

Some concern about Chychrun. Either he was carrying an injury or he was falling into the old trap of trying to be everywhere all at once. Neither is good, so hopefully just a down game for him.
Chick did not have a good game that we are use to from him. I was thinking if OEL played like that this board would blow up wanting to get rid of him anyway possible.:) We all know OEL has lost a step, but because of his talent he still plays at a high level. If you focus on him you will see how intelligent he is. The problem is when he makes a mistake, every player does, he sometimes can't recover like he used, and since he is playing D the mistake is magnified.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Why do you think that is? Coaching?

That would be my first change. If that doesn't bring more consistent efforts enough then I start getting rid of the players who aren't a part of the solution.

I think that, under Tocchet, we've seen enough to know he can't get them to be consistent

Reactions: Jakey53

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Chick did not have a good game that we are use to from him. I was thinking if OEL played like that this board would blow up wanting to get rid of him anyway possible.:) We all know OEL has lost a step, but because of his talent he still plays at a high level. If you focus on him you will see how intelligent he is. The problem is when he makes a mistake, every player does, he sometimes can't recover like he used, and since he is playing D the mistake is magnified.
True, but OEL is still much better than Chych on D.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
True, but OEL is still much better than Chych on D.
Chick has played great this year, but one year does not make a career, and all we have to do is look at Keller for proof. IF Chick can stay healthy I hope he can continue this type of play. Most want Gogo gonne, me included, but I wonder how much of Chick's success is because of Gogo? Do we offer him a 1 or 2 yr. deal or look elsewhere? It's going to be an interesting next few months.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Bizarre season. It was supposed to be an evaluation year. Well, we now know that Chychrun and Garland are real. We still have major questions about consistency regarding Keller, Schmaltz and Dvorak. OEL looks bad. Kessel looks good. Doesn’t matter much in either case, as it’s Unlikely either agree to go anywhere else anyway.

Bunting has been a great surprise. And I’d say Hill has been good too. Encouraging couple of pieces from Tucson.

Meanwhile, our three top prospects had horribly disappointing seasons down there. But they could really be meaningless bad seasons as the team is suddenly such a mess. Not an evaluation year for Hayton, Jenik and Soderstrom. Just a lost year. Unfortunately, Hayton’s second consecutive lost year.

If BA was hoping this season would reveal a lot about the best course of action, I think those hopes were dashed. I know I’m as confused about this team as I was back when he got hired. LOL
I think Keller is on the right track, but on the right track to what? Definetly a top 6 player but is their still potential to be a solid 1st liner?

Schmaltz is a 2C. I think he's proven that. I've also liked that he's been producing in the last few games while others have not shown up.

Dvorak's the hardest to judge. He's had poor linemates most of the season. Great two way play. If he has better linemates does his production get into 1C territory?

Bunting's emergence is amazing, it solves our 3LW hole.

And Hayton is not an NHL player until he proves otherwise. We need to upgrade at 3C. Also need a 2LW.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Bunting’s success just highlights how weak the Coyotes are at supporting groupthink of their young players in the NHL. Chych, who has NHL pedigree and support from his dad, is the only one that has had solid progress.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Chick has played great this year, but one year does not make a career, and all we have to do is look at Keller for proof. IF Chick can stay healthy I hope he can continue this type of play. Most want Gogo gonne, me included, but I wonder how much of Chick's success is because of Gogo? Do we offer him a 1 or 2 yr. deal or look elsewhere? It's going to be an interesting next few months.
I would consider keeping Goose, he is a solid second pairing D. Chych has scored a lot of goals but his D play isn't as good as Goose or OEL at this time, but it is getting better. I see the D pairings next year as:

Goose/Chych
OEL/?
Hjam/Osterle/Bush/whoever

If we don't sign Goose (short term) we then need a 1RHD and a 2RHD. I had rather keep him and only have to find one RHD capable of second or first pairing minutes. We don't have anyone in the system capable of that as an RHD, our biggest hole besides a 1C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad