GDT: Game 51: Coyotes @ Sharks - FSAZP - 8:30 PM - 2/2/19

Discussion in 'Arizona Coyotes' started by SniperHF, Feb 1, 2019.

1. cobra427

cobra427 Registered User

In agree, roster has had enough changes, let the roster come together, get more guys healthy, see what happens.

2. Jakey53

Jakey53 Registered User

You really think Chayka can refrain himself from making a trade or two?:) He can't go a month without making a trade. Whatever he does, I hope it is for the future not present. Even with our regulars in the line up, we are probably a bubble team which is what I kind of expected at the start of the year. So, in other words we are still not good enough, but we have very little value to trade. Gogo, KConn, Stepan, Panik is about it, but what do you get back. Interesting next three weeks.

3. Mosby

Mosby Howl On

I still like the idea of being moderate buyers at the deadline. For example, would Detroit rent Vanek for Weal? I know Weal has sucked here but he's still 10 years younger than Vanek so maybe he can turn into something for them. Plus Vanek's trade value historically has been below average.

4. cobra427

cobra427 Registered User

We need to keep Stepan, he is still our best C. Goose can veto a trade and we wouldn't get much for him or anyone else we would move. Something minor maybe, but the way the team is playing, I wouldn't jack with the chemistry on the ice or in the room. Chayka needs to be careful of becoming McDonuha(sp), thinking he is smarter than everyone else. If it works don't fix it. I would be happy with zero trades the rest of the way, go with what we have, improve from within.

kbay likes this.
  5. Jakey53

Jakey53 Registered User

I believe we play 11 games before TTD, which will leave around 20 games left. We will know by then where we stand. Not sure where we are going to improve within, other than adding Capo, Merkley and maybe Bunting, and even then they may not make the team. We are in a real tough spot this year with Strome and Perlini not working out for us, and guys like Fischer hitting a wall and players like Stepan and Gogo showing their age. We have too many bottom six playing top six roles, mind you, some of that is because of injury. I guess the bottom line is, we need more talent, and how we are going to get it is probably by a trade or two, packaging two players for one etc. Going to be an interesting three weeks.

6. _Del_

_Del_ Registered User

Optimist
    They aren't going to give him away. But he might be cheap and we could use more legitimate scoring wingers. I'm not a huge fan, but if the price is right I'd take him. Or even Neal, who I also don't like, but we're in beggars and choosers territory here. If they can make dollars reasonable and the deal attractive enough, I'd go for either or both.

7. Jakey53

Jakey53 Registered User

I don't want either of those two. Neal because of his contract and Vanek because of his age. Besides, why would Detroit do that to Vanek? Vanek and Weal are both UFA's.

8. Bonsai Tree

Bonsai Tree Turning a new leaf

For the first time in years, I think that we should hold tight. I don't see the pieces out there that would significantly improve our team, except for rental players. Our prospect pool is not so deep that we can afford to trade for rentals.

9. cobra427

cobra427 Registered User

By improve from within, I mean Keller/Fischer/OEL/Chych stepping up with more points as an example. The problems you mention are solved longer term with moves in the summer. Given our recent success, I wouldn't make any changes short term. With our talent level and injuries, chemistry is playing a role I wouldn't want to disrupt.

10. SpaceCoyote

SpaceCoyote Registered User

Based on Chayka's interview on Doug/Wolf last week he seems to think we have the extraneous pieces we can use to make a move. Toffoli would interest me, depending on the cost and he has another year left after this, so not a pure rental. Seems like a decent bounce back candidate next season as well.

11. Jakey53

Jakey53 Registered User

I think I would hold tight also, but Chayka will not. Like to sign a UFA like Stone, but that is a pipe dream.

12. Mosby

Mosby Howl On

Last year at the deadline, Vancouver got Jussi Jokinen and Tyler Motte for Vanek
    2 years ago, Detroit got Dylan McIlrath and a 3rd rounder for Vanek

The book is out on Vanek (he only plays 100 ft of the ice) so his trade value in recent years has reflected that IMO. Weal might be a low return, but I don't think it's far off the above either.

13. _Del_

_Del_ Registered User

Optimist
    Weal was just traded for a 6th rndr and throw away for contract room. They aren't going to get much, but it will be more than Weal.

14. Jakey53

Jakey53 Registered User

I know what you meant, but OEL is what he is and that is steady eddie. Even if the other three step it up, we have others that have declining play because of age. Do you think Stepan, Gogo, Demers, KConn to name a few are going to get better? I believe there will be trades before TTD and during the summer. Chayka can't help himself, he has to trade, it's in his blood.:) I would like to see him hold off until the summer as well, so I guess in a couple of weeks we will have our answer.

15. cobra427

cobra427 Registered User

Stepan/Goose/Kconn can all contribute more, that isn't expected but its not unreasonable. OEL can get more goals, Kconn had 11 last year, so there is some upside. Better to hope for that than make another trade. I suspect we will still have a playoff shot in a few weeks, that is the goal. We'll be holders but not buyers/sellers. Who would Chayka trade and for what? Those we would trade won't fetch much at the TDL, a second, more filler maybe. We would have to give up youth/picks to get help. I don't see it.