GDT: Game 51 | Capitals vs Senators | Game's Already On Edition | Fri January 31st, 7:30pm | RDS, TSN5

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I went to the game tonight. First one in about 2 years. Got some sweet 200 tickets at center ice for a song on stub hub (good lord are their fees outrageous now). Took my mom as a late Christmas gift.

First off, I thought Batherson and Hogberg were great. In the post game they said Ovechkin had 19 shot attempts, 11 sog. So Hog made 10/11 saves on the 8th (so far) greatest scorer in NHL history and many of them were dangerous. Great stuff.

My god is Hainsey even worse in person.

One thing that drove me nuts is the pregame stuff. I'm all for getting the kids down to see the players and get a chance at a puck or signature but right now the sign thing is an epidemic. The entire half of the Caps side was just signs along the glass. Kids begging for pucks and selfies. Do we really need to subject our kids to the attention craving social media atmosphere? Bring em down there and just enjoy it. Way fewer people get to see it if you pollute the boards with your cringey/begging posters that all say "HEY X! Give me a puck!" /rant

The DJ/club stuff at the intermission is also cringey AF.

Anyways, good times had. Cool to see a NHL legend reach a milestone. Batherson looks legit. Crazy playmaking instincts there. Chabot was all over the ice. Was a lil disappointed in Tkachuk. Why is Sabourin playing?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I went to the game tonight. First one in about 2 years. Got some sweet 200 tickets at center ice for a song on stub hub (good lord are their fees outrageous now). Took my mom as a late Christmas gift.

First off, I thought Batherson and Hogberg were great. In the post game they said Ovechkin had 19 shot attempts, 11 sog. So Hog made 10/11 saves on the 8th (so far) greatest scorer in NHL history and many of them were dangerous. Great stuff.

My god is Hainsey even worse in person.

One thing that drove me nuts is the pregame stuff. I'm all for getting the kids down to see the players and get a chance at a puck or signature but right now the sign thing is an epidemic. The entire half of the Caps side was just signs along the glass. Kids begging for pucks and selfies. Do we really need to subject our kids to the attention craving social media atmosphere? Bring em down there and just enjoy it. Way fewer people get to see it if you pollute the boards with your cringey/begging posters that all say "HEY X! Give me a puck!" /rant

The DJ/club stuff at the intermission is also cringey AF.

Anyways, good times had. Cool to see a NHL legend reach a milestone. Batherson looks legit. Crazy playmaking instincts there. Chabot was all over the ice. Was a lil disappointed in Tkachuk. Why is Sabourin playing?

Agreed about everything except for Brady. He was a wrecking ball out there and was a pain in the Caps' ass all night.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The odds that a pro scout has watched Ron Hainsey recently and said, "This guy could help us" are slim to none, and Slim just left town...

Reactions: DrEasy

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The odds that a pro scout has watched Ron Hainsey recently and said, "This guy could help us" are slim to none, and Slim just left town...
Yeah. I will be very very shocked if a team decides to part with any tangible asset to acquire Hainsey at this point. He might get the Oduya treatment, which is fitting because he's basically a worse Oduya.

Reactions: Larionov

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Tbh we aren't using him as a depth defender which is what a contender would do .. We need to retain though

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Chlapik doesn't show much of anything. If he wants ice time, he needs to do something.
Lol playing 6 minutes with 4th liners he shows plenty. He is solid every game with 0 opportunity. Physical, hard on pucks. Its almost impossible to play well for any player in the role or linemates he gets. You get absolutely no rythm playing that much.

Batherson was really good tonight, he seems to be getting acclimatize to the NHL now and his footspeed looks better. Great to see.

Perfect tank game. Ovy was a treat, his release on his goal was incredible to watch live.

Yay for free tickets. The atmosphere was really weird, people just dont care. Very different then it used to be, seems like its just a thing to do not an exciting event. They also had nothing on the walls in the ctc it was strange.

Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yes, the clock has struck midnight for Hainsey - he is now done in the NHL. Good for him for squeezing out one more season and one more nice pay day, but he'll play his last NHL game on April 4.

Also, Sabourin? Oof. He is not an NHL player, and he is simply taking up the roster spot of a guy who would be. We all knew that, of course, but it's just so painfully obvious in watching him that he simply doesn't belong in an NHL game. If we need a fourth line agitator and a guy who will drop the mitts if need be, put Parker Kelly in that role next year.

On the positive side of the ledger, Batherson is finding his game nicely, and Tkachuk has been much better the last few games, playing the way he needs to play in order to be effective.

There are some definite signs of hope out there. Last season was rock bottom - now, between the play of the young guys here and in Belleville and the way they are playing hard for DJ, you can see a bit of dawn peeking up over the horizon...

Reactions: DrEasy and JD1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad