Post-Game Talk: GAME 50 - Winterpeg wins the shootout - Jets 4 BRUINS 3 F/SO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I do enjoy watching these two teams play.

Also, I was hoping some Jets fans would confirm that the reason Laine is getting such limited ice time is his play with the puck in his own zone. It seems like he gets the puck and simply flips it to the oppositions D up at center ice and cannot make a clean breakout pass.

I can field this one. Most, if not all Jets fans feel that Laine is an exceptional goal scorer. However, there is also the perception (a growing one) that whenever he isn't scoring he's a liability on the ice. Deficiencies in skating, passing, positioning, puck battling, etc. So...everything aside from shooting. :) Body language isnt great and comes across as a lack of effort/caring. Coach must have noticed his lack of attention to details yesterday. Kid is in the spotlight right now.

His ardent fans (Finns post in our forum often) say he just needs a better centre (than Little) and should be put on the top line to 'get him going'. I say he doesn't deserve it and will get top minutes as soon as he starts to show he can out work Kyle Connor 5v5.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Well if we're playing captain hindsight- lets have every team redo those drafts, which of those players do you think would still be available when Boston picks?

I understand your point but my team are the Bruins as you.. Furthermore back to the 2015 draft again they had the most pix
Zboril and seny look like flops or close to it .. they (scouts) misjudged so who knows how often they will do this .
I'll repeat I'd like to think im a no nonsense kind of guy and only results matter
Based on that 2015 draft ..some scouts in the bruins mgmt would be fired and that would only be the start

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I understand your point but my team are the Bruins as you.. Furthermore back to the 2015 draft again they had the most pix
Zboril and seny look like flops or close to it .. they (scouts) misjudged so who knows how often they will do this .
I'll repeat I'd like to think im a no nonsense kind of guy and only results matter
Based on that 2015 draft ..some scouts in the bruins mgmt would be fired and that would only be the start

I disagree on the Zboril option, he went where he was supposed to, Senyshen was off the board and DeBrusk is about where he should have gone (now) but many thought he was the biggest reach at the time.

I wouldn't fire the Bruins scouts they are some of the best in the league and everyone makes mistakes, I wonder what about Barzal rubbed them the wrong way?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I disagree on the Zboril option, he went where he was supposed to, Senyshen was off the board and DeBrusk is about where he should have gone (now) but many thought he was the biggest reach at the time.

I wouldn't fire the Bruins scouts they are some of the best in the league and everyone makes mistakes, I wonder what about Barzal rubbed them the wrong way?

Amateur scouts maybe.

The Pro scout group is simply awful and a couple of them need to be shown the door.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I thought the Bruins played well last night - several players look re-energized. The Jets are a good team and the B's got a point. I loved Trent Frederic's parents' reaction - it made the fight even more fun. Take the fighting out of hockey? No thanks! I don't miss the staged fights but it is a very physical game and sometimes fights happen. As long as they are both willing participants, let them go at it!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'd contribute that a lot do with our lack of quality shot attempts. Seems like we throw anything and everything at the net and hope for the best.

I want to see them get a lot closer before firing a shot- this business of shooting tons of pucks 20+ feet out is ridiculous, it is no wonder the percentage is less than 8.

Reactions: TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I want to see them get a lot closer before firing a shot- this business of shooting tons of pucks 20+ feet out is ridiculous, it is no wonder the percentage is less than 8.

That's it, they have very little quality chances, although last night was an exception Helybucyk made some dandy saves. Other than the Bergy line is there any other really good scoring chances taking place?
Maybe when Debrusk gets hot, but he seems to be a pretty streaky player so far.

Reactions: BMC

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Cassidy's obsession with Acciari and the 4th line, combined with the lack of scoring outside of the top line (which hasn't been as good as usual 5v5 this season) makes for very boring and frustrating hockey games. Something needs to change in a hurry.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

One story goes that he was asked how he would feel if they didn't pick him, and he said "go ahead, you'll be sorry" or something to that effect, and it rubbed management the wrong way.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Cassidy's obsession with Acciari and the 4th line, combined with the lack of scoring outside of the top line (which hasn't been as good as usual 5v5 this season) makes for very boring and frustrating hockey games. Something needs to change in a hurry.
I miss the old Cassidy. Wish he would reappear.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Never understood the mentality of pointing to the 4th line penalty killers when the team's not scoring.

Last edited:

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016

Not that im disageeing as of now but why would you say..Bruin scouts are the best in the league?

Last edited:

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Loathe as I am to say it, I think last year's March of the Rookie development throughout the season was a false hope. It gave everyone the impression that these youngsters are better than they are at the moment.

Concerning, but again we DID expect this team to struggle last year and it didn't happen. I think we're seeing the real struggle now. I'm not sure the team makes it out of the first round without help, but I don't know if I want Sweeney to just go for broke on a rental and take a chunk out of what potential talent there is here for the future.

I think guys like Debrusk, Celharik, Frederic, MacAvoy, and Carlo are the future of this team. you can even add Gryz to that pile if you want. I just don't know where they go from here. This doesn't seem like a team remotely close to getting their hands on teh cup.

With that said, the Caps were on a five game losing streak a few weeks ago. It happens to all teams I think

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Never understood the mentality of pointing to the 4th line penalty killers when the team's not scoring.

First line is scoring and Krejci who has been stellar isnt getting help from Jaje these days. The 4th Line not scoring
Is old news and the third line not scoring isnt news either..
If we think Cup ...and i believe majority of the fans do...Bruins have way too many holes .
Weve had our chances i think to be as close to a "dynasty of the moderm day" as possible. But they ruined it

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I can field this one. Most, if not all Jets fans feel that Laine is an exceptional goal scorer. However, there is also the perception (a growing one) that whenever he isn't scoring he's a liability on the ice. Deficiencies in skating, passing, positioning, puck battling, etc. So...everything aside from shooting. :) Body language isnt great and comes across as a lack of effort/caring. Coach must have noticed his lack of attention to details yesterday. Kid is in the spotlight right now.

His ardent fans (Finns post in our forum often) say he just needs a better centre (than Little) and should be put on the top line to 'get him going'. I say he doesn't deserve it and will get top minutes as soon as he starts to show he can out work Kyle Connor 5v5.

Thanks for the reply and that visual is also apparent by opposing teams. Pastrnak had that reputation as well until he really started to push his defensive game and take insight from Bergeron and Marchand. The rest is history.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016

Guy finished with 44 goals last year and has 25 already this year.. Anything else he doesn't deserve???
All right I'll make Winnipeg a favor ..the bruins will give. Them our entire third and fourth line for him and if they twist Sweeney" s arm long enough he might even throw in Backes

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016

I took the liberty to visit some mock.drafts of 2015...
Zboril was in the 22 23 24 are and so was Debrusk .
Carlo was actually 24th on one of them
Kyle connor was about 13th ...on all of them
Barzal was as high as 8th and on none as low as zboril or debrusk
Barzal as high as 4th overall.on another mock draft
I sure hope DS is right about Jake.. If Jake somehow flops too(whic i doubt)
Then fire DS ..goodbye

The Laukomotive

Nov 26, 2017
Amateur scouts maybe.

The Pro scout group is simply awful and a couple of them need to be shown the door.

They have had a bad track record for years, but i would say they did (at the very least) a decent job this year with Nordstrom, Wagner (as 4th liners), Moore and Halak.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They have had a bad track record for years, but i would say they did (at the very least) a decent job this year with Nordstrom, Wagner (as 4th liners), Moore and Halak.

Probably their strongest off-season since Sweeney took over. I think they did well on 3 out of 4. I'm not convinced given Halak's struggles since late November that he will end up as a quality pro signing.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Guy finished with 44 goals last year and has 25 already this year.. Anything else he doesn't deserve???
All right I'll make Winnipeg a favor ..the bruins will give. Them our entire third and fourth line for him and if they twist Sweeney" s arm long enough he might even throw in Backes

Well, his recent play is miserable. He's scored 4 goals total in the last 2 months. His takeaway/giveaway ratio is the worst (.5) amongst forwards on the team. His Corsi the second worst. His +/- is the worst of any on the team at - 13 (the next worst is - 6). Also consider he's not even matched against the top lines of other teams. A large portion of his goals come on the power play where he can execute his one-timer from the left side. He has just 22 even strength points.

Yesterday he had 0 shots, 0 shot attempts, 0 hits, - 1.

I didn't come here for debate. We watch him with a microscope every game. The apparent lack of progression towards being a complete player, is concerning.

Last edited:
Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Well, his recent play is miserable. He's scored 4 goals total in the last 2 months. His takeaway/giveaway ratio is the worst (.5) amongst forwards on the team. His Corsi the second worst. His +/- is the worst of any on the team at - 13 (the next worst is - 6). Also consider he's not even matched against the top lines of other teams. A large portion of his goals come on the power play where he can execute his one-timer from the left side. He has just 22 even strength points.

Yesterday he had 0 shots, 0 shot attempts, 0 hits, - 1.

I didn't come here for debate. We watch him with a microscope every game. The apparent lack of progression towards being a complete player, is concerning.

I think that if you put a microscope with the mindset of finding somethimg anything in a particular player ...you will build a list.
This is my list:
He is 20 years old
He has scored 36 44 and at 25 already
He has a devastating release
He has shot 99 percent of nhlers dream of
He plays with a mediocre center
He is 6ft 5 ...big kid
Ill take him any day and since you mentioned his high give a ways(which frankly i could care less...He is 20 for crying outloud) Well how about Losepeg just making one big giveaway in giving us Laine

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
First line is scoring and Krejci who has been stellar isnt getting help from Jaje these days. The 4th Line not scoring
Is old news and the third line not scoring isnt news either..
If we think Cup ...and i believe majority of the fans do...Bruins have way too many holes .
Weve had our chances i think to be as close to a "dynasty of the moderm day" as possible. But they ruined it

Really?

Based on what?

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
I think that if you put a microscope with the mindset of finding somethimg anything in a particular player ...you will build a list.
This is my list:
He is 20 years old
He has scored 36 44 and at 25 already
He has a devastating release
He has shot 99 percent of nhlers dream of
He plays with a mediocre center
He is 6ft 5 ...big kid
Ill take him any day and since you mentioned his high give a ways(which frankly i could care less...He is 20 for crying outloud) Well how about Losepeg just making one big giveaway in giving us Laine

Sure. Just be aware he might ask for 8-10 million a year. He'll be 21 in April.

Imho if you can't play basic hockey with Brian Little (a career .62 ppg guy) as your centre, you got work to do.

I'm outta here, and you're welcome for my responses. :)

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Call me crazy or incompetent, but I look for an upgrade on Cehlarik and that's the only move I make....maybe I give a 4 or 5 for a veteran center that can fill in bottom six, but I'm good with these guys for the most part

First line, best in NHL
Second line, hole on the right side
Third line, looks like it could be a solid 3rd play-off line. Backes looked like the rest knocked off 2 years. He could take important draws..Heinen suits them very well
Fourth line, put Nordstrom in over 55 and you have a line who will win battles.

At this point, not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad