Post-Game Talk: Game #50: Vancouver 3, Detroit 2: No Ls on the homestand (yet)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Some commentary on the 2018 UFA acquisitions;

Beagle - I’m a fan. Love how he doesn’t take shit from anyone - always seems to be in scrums on the ice. Someone gets too close, too uppity, looks at him funny...he’s letting them know. And as I said earlier, I think he’s supplanted Sutter as the go-to shutdown/defensive Center option this year. When healthy, he’s been value for the first year of his deal thus far.

Roussel - You get some good and some bad with this. Hard pressed to think of a guy who hustles or works harder. Good at puck retrieval and using his speed on both the forecheck and the backcheck. But because of his stickwork, mouth and reputation, he gets some of the worst “reputation calls” I’ve ever seen. And that’s on top of the calls he actually deserves. But still - he’s played well and added a Burrows-like element to this team.

Schaller - Relegated to the role of extra
Forward now with all hands healthy. Really, he should be in Utica, Granlund the extra, and Goldobin in the lineup.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Nice they could come back and be strong in the third but they got dominated really bad for way too much of the game. Team got the bounces and took advantage of another real good performance out of Markstrom. I don't know how long the team can rely on this.

Good

Markstorm - he was the deal in this game. Keeps this up and might start getting some Vezina consideration

Horvat -- maybe coming out of the offensive funk he has been in. Helps to play with Pettersson

Pettersson - weak in spots but making the critical plays that can get the team some production.

Stecher - like the way he is playing. Was probably the best defensman (along with Tanev) in the in the first two periods. Apparently in the top 4 with Gudbranson being seemingly demote to third pairing with Pouliot

Beagle - did a good job of shutting down Larkin as the game went on.

Not Good

Sutter - in a defensive role but you expect more than struggling to get the puck out. Looks physically weak right now.

Baertschi - meh. So little happening here

Virtanen - head not in early and looked a little lost. Reactive rather than proactive. Little better in the late going

Don't think the team can make the playoffs playing like they did for much of this game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad