GDT: Game 50: Coyotes @ Canadiens - FSAZ - 5:30 PM

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
If the situation had been reversed and the Habs had tied the game up....

No, none of us would have complained, because none of would have known it occurred. Nearly every offside challenge that I have seen has been VERY difficult to call. It usually takes several looks and using the blue line camera that is not part of the broadcast.

This isn't like the missed call in the Saints game, where even people watching football for the first time said "is that legal?"

It 's splitting hairs, and does nothing to make the game better. Let the linesman make his call and move on.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Dump that and the goalie interference review. They drag on the game. I'd like a game to be done in 2.5 hours. Even closer to 2 hours would be better.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Just imagine the optics of a playoff game being highly influenced or decided by a missed offside call when NBC has this perfect HD still frame showing exactly how the call was missed.

You could make the same argument on penalties. I've seen it where a guy is flagged for a high stick, and the perfect NBC HD shot shows it was his own teammate who poked him in the eye. If the team then scores a PP goal, should we review those too?

"upon further review, the double minor we called four minutes ago was not actually a penalty...we, the officiating crew are real sorry"

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Penalty calls have always been subjective.. There are probably dozens of calls that get missed every game. You want to add another hour to each game of players standing around just to sort out calls that get missed???

OTOH... Things like offsides and goals are absolute. Either the puck or player is over the line or it isn’t. Those can be easily sorted out.

I know when the lines are put down they are very crisp, but after numerous coats of ice the lines become very fuzzy.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Yeah, that offside challenge rule must be changed. I have said it before, and I don't think it less now. It gives meaning after a rush. But an offside more than 10 seconds before should be water under the bridge.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Dump that and the goalie interference review. They drag on the game. I'd like a game to be done in 2.5 hours. Even closer to 2 hours would be better.
I'm with you on both. It will take a Stanley Cup winning (or disallowed) goal....delayed by a 3 minute review, for the NHL to change it.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I'd be cool with adjusting the offside rule, not sure if removing it is the right answer though. Maybe something like a player can't receive a pass in the other teams zone if the puck is not past center line but crossing it is fine and wont cause an off sides call. Would certainly help faster teams with a strong break out game, which is exciting for fans. Would probably increase scoring a skosh too which could help increase casual fans.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Coyotes PP rn:

This is still the funniest video that I have seen to Yakety Sax. I think that it took place in Spruce Grove, Alberta, so forgive me for those of you who have seen it already, but the woman and her boyfriend were trying to steal things, and were stopped by an officer and a bystander apparently. Possibly on some meth or something. Hilarity ensues...

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
This is still the funniest video that I have seen to Yakety Sax. I think that it took place in Spruce Grove, Alberta, so forgive me for those of you who have seen it already, but the woman and her boyfriend were trying to steal things, and were stopped by an officer and a bystander apparently. Possibly on some meth or something. Hilarity ensues...

Poor girl lost her shoe. How sad. :(

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Penalty calls have always been subjective.. There are probably dozens of calls that get missed every game. You want to add another hour to each game of players standing around just to sort out calls that get missed???

OTOH... Things like offsides and goals are absolute. Either the puck or player is over the line or it isn’t. Those can be easily sorted out.
I dont like the challenge at all. Waste of time and disrupt the flow of the game too much. The only reviews in my mind should be whether a goal was scored or not.

Reactions: MIG

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Our toughest month is coming up 14 games in February and the average Win% is .5730

So it will still be an uphill battle and we'll see where we stand after this stretch.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I know when the lines are put down they are very crisp, but after numerous coats of ice the lines become very fuzzy.

You could definitely see white between the puck and the line though. Had there not been that or any doubt of it, the goal would have counted.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Our toughest month is coming up 14 games in February and the average Win% is .5730

So it will still be an uphill battle and we'll see where we stand after this stretch.
The whole year's been an uphill battle.
Very proud to watch this hockey team and love the way Toc has transformed this group.
Take Nick Cousins. Last year I thought he was garbage. This year he is flourishing and he has more skill then I thought. One of the top forwards all year.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

The last 10 games we captured 70% of the pts. If we can grab 60% of pts available down the stretch we might squeak into a wildcard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad