GDT: Game 50 - CBJ at NYR - 19 Jan, 7pm

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
I bet it takes at least 20 games for the league to develop a “book” on a goalie.

I will say stat wise its easy to look at mason’s first year and see red flags when you look at Elvis’ stars so far. However I don’t think the 2 players are wired the same way mentally.

Reactions: thebus88

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Since VV is back down I imagine Elvis is playing back to back today.

Next Saturday and Sunday they have another back to back to decide if they can let up on Elvis.

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
Just found out my wife's niece is a friend of friend of Bjorkstrand's mom. They are going to the March 16 game.We could have gone, but we will be in
Florida.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
That’s what I read. He was an emergency recall. So when the player he was called up for is activated he has to be returned to the minors

I’m not sure if a player who is exposed to waivers would get an exemption going back down or not.
Emergency recalls work for 9 games/30 days. After that point it will revert to a regular recall which allows for another 9 games/30 days before having to be subject to waivers.

Reactions: DougKnowsBest

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Stenlund to the minors? Damn. Tough decision. I wish it would have been Lilja instead.

Looks like Bjorky is in and Milano stays out for Lilja.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
You've gotta go with the hot hand in goal. There will be plenty of time for Elvis to rest until the next one on Wednesday.
People keep saying this, but it makes no sense. Resting from Monday to Wednesday does you absolutely no good if you're exhausted on Sunday night. That's not how rest works.

If Elvis Merzlikins isn't god-awful exhausted, sure. Ride him. But if he is, you've gotta get him out of there. As amazing as his/our run is right now, we climbed out of such a deep hole that we still need these points. You can't subject Elvis to potentially getting shelled if he feels like Dead Man Walking.

The fact that his backup has 0 NHL minutes makes it a more difficult call, sure. But there's no way any of us know how Elvis is feeling. This is going to be a gametime decision based on how he feels, and maybe even how he looks in warmups.

I've got a bad feeling about this. My gut says that because the backup is a completely unknown quality, Torts will play Elvis unless he feels like it's impossible. We've been slipping defensively, it's the second game in a back-to-back, at the Garden, against a team that scores a lot. I'm worried that he gets chased after 12 minutes.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Can someone explain why almost everyone is question Torts decisions? What the heck everybody thinks?

While I have been mostly pro Torts from the day of his arrival (I even remember how he trashed the former coach on some tv show and sold himself as he offered a solution, a phome call from CBJ followed that interview and he became the headcoach), the thing is: everyone has the right for an opinion, its what the critical thinking is all about. However, the freedom to criticize something or someone comes at a price.

That thread about Torts shows the impatient nature of many of us. It was obvious that all those early season "FIRE TORTS" and "I will shave my head if he doesnt get fired soon" calls were premature as Torts wasnt the problem.

And another thing: since we are all armchair coaches, we obviously think we can do and know better. While in reality: we dont have any real expertise and lack information. I mean Torts knows way more than any of us does.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Can someone explain why almost everyone is question Torts decisions? What the heck everybody thinks?

It's not everyone but can you explain why his decisions for this team are not subject to questions or criticism. This is a message board and everyone has different opinions and ideas. Doesn't make them right or wrong. Why does it seem that lately Torts get all the credit for the teams wins and the players get the criticism when they lose? Why does Torts continue to get a pass for the horrible special teams, especially the PP, that this team has had in his entire reign as CBJ coach? It's a slippery slope. Just because I question/criticize some of his decisions doesn't mean I dislike him or think he's a bad coach.

I'm going to wait until this team gets healthy and gets back to a full roster. My criticism will only ramp up if this team starts trending down when the Monsters start leaving the lineup.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Spoiler alert - all our forwards have been heavily negative in shot shares since Dec. 9th.
I don't dispute your numbers. Bottom line is we are winning. The forwards struggling will most likely catch up to them, unless they start playing better. Or if the goaltending takes a crap, then the forwards will really have to pick it up. Elvis has been carrying the team. Will the forwards be able to match that if Elvis has a bad game?

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
It's not everyone but can you explain why his decisions for this team are not subject to questions or criticism. This is a message board and everyone has different opinions and ideas. Doesn't make them right or wrong. Why does it seem that lately Torts get all the credit for the teams wins and the players get the criticism when they lose? Why does Torts continue to get a pass for the horrible special teams, especially the PP, that this team has had in his entire reign as CBJ coach? It's a slippery slope. Just because I question/criticize some of his decisions doesn't mean I dislike him or think he's a bad coach.

I'm going to wait until this team gets healthy and gets back to a full roster. My criticism will only ramp up if this team starts trending down when the Monsters start leaving the lineup.
I really don't see how Torts is getting all the credit for wins. He should get credit for good coaching, but the players on the ice get most of the credit because they are the ones playing. When I see Torts get out there and play I will give him more credit. If I remember correctly, when they weren't playing well early, it was pretty much all Torts bashing, with some exceptions. He was getting most of the blame for the losing. People wanted him gone without giving him a chance to try to turn things around. Three straight playoffs and at the first sign of adversity, he should be fired. Yeah the PP hasn't been that good since he has been here. Do you think that is the only reason this team hasn't won a cup in that time? It would be nice to cash in on power plays, but how much of a game are we on the power play? And if you are going to give the players credit for winning, shouldn't they shoulder some of the blame also for the bad power play? They are the ones out there playing. As far as the Monster players go, there were only three in the line up last night. Robinson doesn't count because he has been up most of the season. The guys coming up from the minors and doing good is a product of the farm team playing the same style as the big club. They just plugged them in and it worked out. It very well could have gone the opposite direction. Torts decisions are subject to criticism. People are also allowed to make points if they don't agree with said criticism. Doesn't make them wrong or right either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad