GDT: Game 50 - CBJ at NYR - 19 Jan, 7pm

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
This is something! This is great! Kivlenieks has become 25th Latvian player and 5th goalie who have played in NHL and recorded a W in his debut.

Well this is something you guys, I haven't counted but there could be a 100 decent at best senior pro level Latvian hockey players out there at this moment. There have been a lot of decent goalies who haven't got their shot at the NHL and to sit even as a backup for some is something big. But this? This is great! This is awesome!

Days like these should be a national holidays in Latvia. This will be a looong monday.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Just finished watching the game.... great great win for the boys, didn't lose their composure after being down 1 after two periods.
Bjorkstrand contributes immediately, just awesome.

And congrats to Kivlenieks on his 1st NHL win, in his first game.
Interesting to see the contrast in the playing styles between him and Merzlikins; he's very simple, not flashy - where Elvis has a bit more excitement to his game.

But I completely agree with the poster that said it's the team D that's the real story here.

Torts has this team bought in, and they are believing.

Reactions: thebus88

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Where do I begin.

The only goal Kivlenieks gave up was on another fluke play involving a broken stick breakaway. I thought maybe he should have come out and played that puck away, and that was just a bit of indecisiveness from the rookie, but it was also a hard play to judge. Solid otherwise.

Bjorkstrand. Well, well, well. We seem to be on a streak of guys coming off IR and doing really good things. I thought the NYR rookie goalie was cheating on the game-winner, already moving across the crease to cover another shooter, and Bjorkstrand took full advantage.

I also thought that when Jones pinched in at the blue line after that goal, and the Rangers came the other way, I thought we were going to find a way to cough up that game in spectacular fashion, but we held on.

Five in a row, baby. At this point, does the Elvis music move over for "All I Do Is Win?"

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I have no proof or statistics to back this up but I think the CBJ just might be the most popular NHL team in Latvia at the moment.

Heres the thing about former USSR: it has been stamped on us to follow 'our' players in the NHL. Its weird, irrational and appeals to certain primary centers of one's brain etc.

And Latvia as a tiny hockey nation is usually very good during international events and can usually challenge Russia and even Canada. I hope they keep developing their great hockey schooling.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
This has been a magical year so far !

We went from, "long" -to- "magical", pretty quick, eh?

That comment is directed towards many.

To pile on, "All Star" Korpisalo is still the starter, as well.

I sincerely apologize to continue my "fair-weatherness", its just hard with the whole unsustainable winning thing.....AGAIN. :xcheers:

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
We went from, "long" -to- "magical", pretty quick, eh?

That comment is directed towards many.

To pile on, "All Star" Korpisalo is still the starter, as well.

I sincerely apologize to continue my "fair-weatherness", its just hard with the whole unsustainable winning thing.....AGAIN. :xcheers:

Everyone knows this is unsustainable yet we all try to enjoy it as much as we can. I see no irrational exuberance on this board, its pretty much down to earth the way its always been.

Man that game vs NYR was amazing. GG all!

Reactions: Monstershockey

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
This run has gone on for a quarter of a season now. How long does it have to go on before people consider the idea that it IS sustainable? That maybe the club is better than we were giving it credit for, and Torts might know what he’s doing? Especially since the talent level is going UP with people coming off IR?

Reactions: thebus88 and CPTN71

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Everyone knows this is unsustainable yet we all try to enjoy it as much as we can. I see no irrational exuberance on this board, its pretty much down to earth the way its always been.

The fact is, this is all being done without the teams starting goaltender.

There is a long standing "joke" on the term "unsustainable" that you may not quite understand, and while no it is not sustainable to win 16 games in a row every 16 games, or go 8-2 every 10 games, with the team getting its most dangerous offensive player back in Bjorkstrand and in the somewhat near future the return of the teams BEST goalie, I would say NO, that the winning IS NOT unsustainable, just as it wasn't the last 3 years.

Losing a player that had such a huge impact on the teams strategies and performance, along with also adding a handful of young and new players, there was always going to be a "transition" period for the team to gain chemistry and mesh together the best they could, along with the coaching staff being able find the best possible combinations for everything to come together.

What if, what was unsustainable all along, was the losing.....?? :thumbu:

To your last (bolded) point..... HAHA. I disagree.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
This run has gone on for a quarter of a season now. How long does it have to go on before people consider the idea that it IS sustainable? That maybe the club is better than we were giving it credit for, and Torts might know what he’s doing? Especially since the talent level is going UP with people coming off IR?

This "run" with this same coach and "core" has gone on for much longer actually.....

And the negativity has been there ALL ALONG.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Since when is, "know how to score goals", considered a fact??

They are pro hockey players, they know how to score goals. We do too! I don't know why that's a controversy.

They're also pretty good at it, as they rank 8th in goals for per game, 10th in total goals for, and 10th on the powerplay. Crazy!

This "run" with this same coach and "core" has gone on for much longer actually.....

And the negativity has been there ALL ALONG.

Even from you! As I recall you called us dead in the water after the Korpi injury. Maybe your negativity has also been there too?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad