GDT: Game 50: Avs vs. Wild - 7:30PM MT

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not sure if people are overreacting to Grubs' comments because they hate him or they are genuinely offended that he said that everyone needs to be better.
He's not wrong in his assessment of the team, but he also has to realize how downright putrid he's been this season. And given this is not the first time he's said something like this where he basically absolves himself of blame, I don't think it's an overreaction.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
So now its Mackinnon's fault the team is in a slump?

Again, it's not one or two things that is wrong with the Avs, it's a team issue. Maybe MacKinnon is gripping his stick tighter because he has issues with coaching, or maybe he and his linemates are out of gas carrying this team because the only other forward besides the 1st line who can do anything on this team is Soderberg, the rest have pretty much been useless.

There are so many things you can point out and say that's what's wrong with the team. Goaltending is an issue, secondary scoring is an issue, defense is an issue, the 1st line not getting 9 points a game is an issue, ultimately it comes down to the entire team being the issue including coaching because no one is showing the neccessary leadership right now to turn this mess around

No— you are right. I said explicitly that I am in no way laying it at MacKinnon’s feet. We do not disagree on that.

Team issues abound and it’s not just one thing, just as is the case with any extended slide for any team. Things that were not problems before became problems. “Very lucky” became “entirely f***ing snakebitten.” I’ll exclude goaltending because I fear that being a serious issue problem even after the slump ends. As for MacKinnon—he occupies a curious position at the epicenter of this losing streak IMO, just by virtue of his status as The Man. We’ve all seen how he’s been affected. I single him out because I think the slump can end when he shakes off his self-applied heebiejeebies and turns on the f***in jets. I can only speculate about his role in coloring the mood of his teammates during the last few weeks, and without indulging too much in that— I do think he has demonstrated that he is an emotional man. Not necessarily a bad thing.... he’s definitely got to learn how to stay even keeled.

As for Grubauer... f*** Grubauer. Imagine thinking that your mediocre ass calling out “individual mistakes” to the media might help turn it around. :/

Reactions: the_fan

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm not sure if people are overreacting to Grubs' comments because they hate him or they are genuinely offended that he said that everyone needs to be better.

The goalie can come out talking about team mistakes, but no player or coach is going to do the same to the goalie. It is kind of a one sided conversation. I get it, but I don't enjoy it.

Like I said, I don't hate him yet but hes pissing me off. I think most everyone has acknowledged the comments are valid. The guy just hasn't built any sort of foundation here either.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The goalie can come out talking about team mistakes, but no player or coach is going to do the same to the goalie. It is kind of a one sided conversation. I get it, but I don't enjoy it.

Like I said, I don't hate him yet but hes pissing me off. I think most everyone has acknowledged the comments are valid. The guy just hasn't built any sort of foundation here either.
Give him 5+ consecutive starts then we will talk.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
You also have to hold some type of credibility to say something like that, otherwise it either falls on deaf ears or turns your teammates against you.

Like, if John Gibson comes out and says that, who are the Ducks players to question him after the season he's had? But Grubauer? Absolutely not.

It really reminds me of when Francois Beauchemin screamed at some of his teammates during a practice in the Season Which Will Not Be Named, it's like...uh, dude, you're one to talk.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I have a theory that the problem with goaltending is having a Russian and German goalie tandem. Those two countries have hated each other since the world war 2:sarcasm:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It really reminds me of when Francois Beauchemin screamed at some of his teammates during a practice in the Season Which Will Not Be Named, it's like...uh, dude, you're one to talk.
This. Some guys are allowed to do it. Some guys should stfu. Grubauer is one of those guys who should stfu and look himself in the mirror. There are legit 4 guys on this team who are allowed to make that kind of comment to the media. Landeskog, Mackinnon, Rantanen and Soderberg. The rest should start doing their jobs or they will be unemployed in the NHL like Joe Colbourne.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This. Some guys are allowed to do it. Some guys should ****. Grubauer is one of those guys who should **** and look himself in the mirror. There are legit 4 guys on this team who are allowed to make that kind of comment to the media. Landeskog, Mackinnon, Rantanen and Soderberg. The rest should start doing their jobs or they will be unemployed in the NHL like Joe Colbourne.

I think Ryan Graves has more ground to stand on personally.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If it’s not one thing it’s another with this team. If it’s not poor starts, countless bad turnovers, or poor goaltending, then it’s something else. Tonight it was bad penalties leading to two goals, and bad coverage, and another turnover lead to the other three goals.

1st goal - Turnover from Girard on the breakout leads directly to the goal.

2nd goal - Miscommunication on coverage between Barrie and Landeskog leaves the entire right side of the ice open for Spurgeon to skate down low and score.

3rd goal - Two bad penalties from Kerfoot and Cole lead to the 5 on 3 goal.

4th goal - Andrighetto caught puck watching down low, lets Coyle skate right past him and get wide open for the backbreaking 4-2 goal at the end of the period.

5th goal - Nemeth golfs a puck laying flat on the ice into the net 180 feet away. :banghead: Delay of game penalty leads to another 5 on 3 and they score.

This team didn't play that much different than they have for about a month now. Good defensively except for a handful of moments where they completely break down, and they end up in the back of their net.

Props to @AllAboutAvs for being the only one I saw to be consistent and call out Grubauer's .821 save percentage in this game. He isn’t the reason they lost, but I think this shows that if you're just looking at save percentage it can distract you from the other problems with teams.

Don't fault Grubauer in this game, but I don't like how eager he was to call out the team after this game. What he said sounded like he's been calling them out privately for a while now, and that is just ridiculous given the way he's played this year in multiple bad stretches.

Francouz should get the next start after the break. If not the next game, then it should be Varly, and then Francouz. They need to see what they have in Franc and the other two haven't done enough to earn starts over him.

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If it’s not one thing it’s another with this team. If it’s not poor starts, countless bad turnovers, or poor goaltending, then it’s something else. Tonight it was bad penalties leading to two goals, and bad coverage, and another turnover lead to the other three goals.

2nd goal - Miscommunication on coverage between Barrie and Landeskog leaves the entire right side of the ice open for Spurgeon to skate down low and score.

4th goal - Andrighetto caught puck watching down low, lets Coyle skate right past him and get wide open for the backbreaking 4-2 goal at the end of the period.

5th goal - Nemeth golfs a puck laying flat on the ice into the net 180 feet away. :banghead: Delay of game penalty leads to another 5 on 3 and they score.

Props to @AllAboutAvs for being the only one I saw to be consistent and call out Grubauer's .821 save percentage in this game. He isn’t the reason they lost, but I think this shows that if you're just looking at save percentage it can distract you from the other problems with teams.

Don't fault Grubauer in this game, but I don't like how eager he was to call out the team after this game. What he said sounded like he's been calling them out privately for a while now, and that is just ridiculous given the way he's played this year in multiple bad stretches.

Francouz should get the next start after the break. If not the next game, then it should be Varly, and then Francouz. They need to see what they have in Franc and the other two haven't done enough to earn starts over him.

I agree with you today

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I agree with you today

The thing you may not agree with is that I saw basically the same team performance as last game. Good play for most of the game but a handful of mistakes cost them. The difference is that Grubauer didn't give up a soft goal or two on top of the other problems that led to goals.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

This team didn't play that much different than they have for about a month now. Good defensively except for a handful of moments where they completely break down, and they end up in the back of their net.

Nice of you to disregard everything else I said in my post. Here is what I said again because obviously you missed a lot out of it:

I don't want to blame Gru for this game because there were way too many big breakdowns. However......5 goals on 28 shots .821 sv% again. Come on.

Third period was pretty bad from everybody.

I can't blame Bednar also. This is on the players. Bad execution and turnovers all over this game.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The thing you may not agree with is that I saw basically the same team performance as last game. Good play for most of the game but a handful of mistakes cost them. The difference is that Grubauer didn't give up a soft goal or two on top of the other problems that led to goals.

You think that was the same team performance as what they did against Nashville? Well that moment ended quickly lol.

Reactions: dahrougem2

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That one shift last night where he lined up a bunch of clappers. It looked like he was actually trying to shoot through the blocks lol like "oh you're going to dive infront of my shot? Oh well"

Unleash the cannon.

That might have been one of the most satisfying sequences I've seen lately. Just watching green goblins drop all over the ice.

Reactions: AvsFan29

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->