GDT: Game 5 | Wild vs Senators | Sensgiving Edition | Mon Oct. 14, 1pm | RDS, TSN5

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I just finished watching on fast-forward and I feel sorry for you guys who watched it in real time.

Woof. What a terribly boring outing this was. Our powerplay in particular is worst than it's ever been.

I was worried about Minny beating us to the bottom but this diminished my concerns.

Serious question here...does the team even look fast while watching it in fast forward?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It is equivalent to being stuck between a "rock and a hard place". Let us set aside the obvious short-comings of this management group for a moment and sympathize with their situation. They know the current product they are icing this season is unacceptable for an NHL level team, however, the "big picture plan" is to dig in and this season and hope for a high pick. On the flip side, if they start trading/sending away guys like Boedker, Anisimov, Ennis, Ryan, Sabourin etc. and bring up some of the younger guys in Belleville, it might provide the fans with a little more reason to watch and attend games but what impression does that give in terms of "being patient" and building it right?

If it were up to me, I would cut away the dead weight, suck it up and load up with some of the players in Belleville and just pray for the best but then again, I have always been "anti-tank" and my philosophy has always been that you ice the best and most entertaining team you possibly can. Trying to play for a top 3 pick has been proven to be a waste of time as we have landed in the #4 spot two years in a row now. Again I am glad I do not have to be the one to make these decisions, but it seems some of the fans want a lottery finish but still want to be entertained with quality players....it just does not work.

It really isn't that complicated imo. You rotate some of the kids in the lineup regularly, give them more than 3 minutes of ice-time, and if they can't keep up send them back down. Right now they called up Szwarz and Paul, who can certainly not be considered kids, and sent Abramov and Batherson back down because reasons. Like, who cares if they aren't breaking the door down, we have nothing to lose, and no one prefers watching Ennis over a struggling Drake.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And I actually believed before the season that it could not be worse than it was last year...

Last year's PP ran at around 20%, which was good for 13th in the league.

We stopped playing our top 3 scorers (Duchene, Dzingle and Stone) after the Chicago game just before the deadline, prior to that the PP was running at 21.9%, which had we finished the year at that would have been good for 8th, one spot ahead of Toronto.

If there was one thing that actually worked last year, it was the PP. It wasn't always pretty, but it was getting the job done.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Ho hum. Feels like the Wild played a textbook defensive game and really exposed our lack of skill. And they were pretty desperate for a win. I think most of our goals to this point have been of the opportunistic variety and Minny really gave us nothing. Without many/any line drivers we'll be hard pressed to manufacture goals this season. Gonna be a lot of one and done type dump and chase plays.

Also the PP really shows our lack of talent. Not sure I like Brown and Ennis being mainstays but it's not like we have great alternatives. It is what it is.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
And here I was. After the lightning win, I nearly came in here and said we will make playoffs and shame on you all for doubting us.

glad I didn’t embarrass myself like that.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
First two periods was pretty tight hockey. Not sure why all the negativity. They played well defensively, again, which speaks to coaching. How many scoring chances today?

Yes, the team struggled offensively. But they are miles ahead from last year in some regards. The kids will be mixed in at the right time. Not sure what the rush is

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Been saying this since training camp. I am not sure how often Smith will need to fail with whatever the f*** he's trying before he finally concedes to this

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
We turned the puck over so many times...
Plus PP needs to be addressed before Christmas... maybe...

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Been saying this since training camp. I am not sure how often Smith will need to fail with whatever the **** he's trying before he finally concedes to this

If you admit that you have no idea what he’s trying, it would follow that you have no idea if he’s failing or not.

Wild trap game, not a lot of fun to watch, but we played their game fine, Duclair needs to start burying some of those awesome chances he creates, he deserves it!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If you admit that you have no idea what he’s trying, it would follow that you have no idea if he’s failing or not.

Wild trap game, not a lot of fun to watch, but we played their game fine, Duclair needs to start burying some of those awesome chances he creates, he deserves it!

Don't project you on to me. I have an very good idea what he is trying. You on the other hand ... well we know.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Brady is going to have some great days for this franchise. Today wasn't one of them. He was awful this afternoon - couldn't handle passes, kept giving away pucks, and failed to convert on any of the chances he was given by others. On any other team, he would have been planked...

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Don't project you on to me. I have an very good idea what he is trying. You on the other hand ... well we know.

Shoot dude, meant to add a winky, I didn’t want to pick a fight with you over it.

You did say “whatever he’s trying” I wasn’t projecting anything, though I don’t mind admitting that I don’t know much about what goes on behind the closed doors of an NHL team.

You’ve take a turn for the nasty lately SOA, I’ll try and leave you alone next time.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Brady is going to have some great days for this franchise. Today wasn't one of them. He was awful this afternoon - couldn't handle passes, kept giving away pucks, and failed to convert on any of the chances he was given by others. On any other team, he would have been planked...

Agreed, was a nice ugh game for him, couldn’t get anything going, and wasn’t even agitating.

Ah well, mama said that there’d be days like this....

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ho hum. Feels like the Wild played a textbook defensive game and really exposed our lack of skill. And they were pretty desperate for a win. I think most of our goals to this point have been of the opportunistic variety and Minny really gave us nothing. Without many/any line drivers we'll be hard pressed to manufacture goals this season. Gonna be a lot of one and done type dump and chase plays.

Also the PP really shows our lack of talent. Not sure I like Brown and Ennis being mainstays but it's not like we have great alternatives. It is what it is.

Especially the hands on this team. Overall we skate well, are decent positionally, and work hard. But there's only a couple guys who don't handle the puck like a grenade.

Reactions: Slack

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
And here I was. After the lightning win, I nearly came in here and said we will make playoffs and shame on you all for doubting us.

glad I didn’t embarrass myself like that.

Playoffs? Don’t talk about...playoffs? You kiddin’ me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->