GDT: Game 5 VGK @ Penguins 4pm (Hyka recalled)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I see on the AHL transactions that Hyka has been recalled.

Not sure what the roster transaction to open a roster spot for him is. (Yet)

Probably no pregame skate due to back-to-backs, so there might not be any formal announcement until a couple of hours before puck drop.

Rumor was that Subban would start tonight.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Turns out VGK was running light on forwards, so with Stastny to IR, they were down to 12 (healthy) forwards. Hyka makes 13 (and #23 roster spot).

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Turns out VGK was running light on forwards, so with Stastny to IR, they were down to 12 (healthy) forwards. Hyka makes 13 (and #23 roster spot).
I’m curious, I know WSH had to get allowance from the commissioner so Wilson’s suspension doesn’t count towards the 23 man limit. Did Schmidt’s suspension occur before he was technically on the active roster so we didn’t need to do that or what?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I’m curious, I know WSH had to get allowance from the commissioner so Wilson’s suspension doesn’t count towards the 23 man limit. Did Schmidt’s suspension occur before he was technically on the active roster so we didn’t need to do that or what?

Long enough that team is allowed to have 23 other guys on roster. I'm not exactly sure what the "deal" is with/when which team is allowed/not. But his salary does count against the cap.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
It has to be said that this is a pretty tough way for a team to start the season. I know we may have a bad record after this road trip but the schedule did us no favors to get off on the right foot this year so I'm willing to give the team some more leeway before panicking about the whole season.

However, some more defensive cover would be nice. Merrill and Hunt are not defensive cover and Bischoff is still a rookie and could be kept on as an 8D and be inserted into some games this season but having a more veteran presence and depth would be nice if the team is in on winning now.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
It has to be said that this is a pretty tough way for a team to start the season. I know we may have a bad record after this road trip but the schedule did us no favors to get off on the right foot this year so I'm willing to give the team some more leeway before panicking about the whole season.

However, some more defensive cover would be nice. Merrill and Hunt are not defensive cover and Bischoff is still a rookie and could be kept on as an 8D and be inserted into some games this season but having a more veteran presence and depth would be nice if the team is in on winning now.

Yes the schedule was already brutal and injuries/suspension just adds to the degree of difficulty. It just stinks that we are digging a hole that will be really, really tough to come out of.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Not going to panic until team gets closer to NHL record (17 consecutive losses). (Turk and GMGM may be in panic mode before I am. :D)

Sometimes things just don't go your way. They're shooting, but quantity <> quality. (See VGK twitter feed for a couple of players talking about things.)

While this team has "23 captains", when you're deeper in this kind of situation, the captain is sometimes the guy to lead things out. So, I'll be watching to see which player(s) step forward to lead the team. Engelland has been the defacto captain, taking the ceremonial puck drops and addressing the crowd at last season's home opener; and took home the Messier Leadership award for last season.

While guy(s) will step up to lead the team this season?

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
Thinking it takes 5 goals or more this game to get at least the coveted participation point. How many goals have we scored so far this season? (Rhetorical question.) :)

GO! :vegas GO!

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I looked up the stats and was surprised that Wild Bill is credited with 3 assists this year. It really doesn't seem like he's gotten more than one, maybe they are all second assists?

A more worrying stat for me is that he has 6 shots in four games. Almost 81 minutes of ice time. I know he says he picks his shots very carefully but he won't have a shooting percentage above twenty most seasons so he really needs to start shooting more to keep his goal numbers and points up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad