GDT: Game #5 | Philadelphia Flyers @ Detroit Red Wings | 7:00 PM EST | FS-D ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Looks like Smith doesn't seem to think he has done anything wrong.

Though in a way I can see that considering who he is paired up with.

:laugh: "I am a minus-4, but if you watch those goals, I don’t think there’s a breakdown on my side."

I kinda think we have a "shots fired" situation here, with Smith passive-aggressively pointing out that he's not exactly paired with Lidstrom right now.

Sounds a bit similar to Hakeem Nicks on the Giants saying "I can't throw it to myself" when he was asked about having no catches and only 1 pass thrown his way against the Panthers earlier this season.

Always funny to see guys throw teammates under the bus :D

kilgoretrout

Nov 16, 2011
Could any of you guys get a read on what Babcock is trying to say about "asking himself the same question" about Tatar's ability to score.

Helene St. James posted the video on her twitter:

http://t.co/b98ToUwulk

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Could any of you guys get a read on what Babcock is trying to say about "asking himself the same question" about Tatar's ability to score.

He's implying that Tatar has the talent to be playing, but he's not doing well enough in practice or in games to warrant a spot right now and he needs to be better.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
He's implying that Tatar has the talent to be playing, but he's not doing well enough in practice or in games to warrant a spot right now and he needs to be better.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of this on the surface, but I think it reeks of attitude or pre-game issues.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

It's pure stubbornness. It's like he's trying to prove he runs the team not the fans. The more media and fans call for Tatar to play the less chance Babcrock puts him in the lineup.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Agreed. I'm not a fan of this on the surface, but I think it reeks of attitude or pre-game issues.

We're not in practice with these guys, but I don't think that it's a lock that it's only Tatar with the attitude or issues in this situation.

Looking at Babs' lineup decisions, I think he's dealing with a handful of issues himself.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wonder if it's directed at Holland?

Or maybe he's just lost it.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris

There is something going on behind the scenes. Some falling out or something. We don't know the whole story, Holland wanted Tatar in the lineup. Babcock seemed to rate him early on, but contrary to what many people around here think, they aren't going to sabotage the team for ****s and giggles.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Wonder if it's directed at Holland?

Or maybe he's just lost it.

And is actively trying to lose? Impossible. He's doing what he feels is best for the team to win, even though it doesn't make sense to the masses. I think he knows exactly what he's doing.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If Tatar isn't flipping Babcock the bird during practice, I want to know what the **** is going on.

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
It's pure stubbornness. It's like he's trying to prove he runs the team not the fans. The more media and fans call for Tatar to play the less chance Babcrock puts him in the lineup.

it seems like this.
i am really fed up with babcocks "in my team is no we" attitude.
but on the other hand he can only ice player what holland is giving him to ice. the question is wether he or datsyuk is pulling the results out of this team.
we will figure that out when datsyuks is hanging up his skates.
personally i dont wanna watch this team performing without datsyuk.

but for today we are playing a crippled philly team what is dead last and by far the worst team in the east now. 2 points should be possible today. all other results would be a kind of disappointing.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And is actively trying to lose? Impossible. He's doing what he feels is best for the team to win, even though it doesn't make sense to the masses. I think he knows exactly what he's doing.

There's no way I think he is intentionally trying to lose games, nor would I ever even suggest that.

I do think he is losing his damn mind though.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
If we can't put 3+ goals up against a tired flyers team with Emery in net then we should just tank, this team has no chance at being a contender without some youth and speed.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
There's no way I think he is intentionally trying to lose games, nor would I ever even suggest that.

I do think he is losing his damn mind though.

He is coaching no differently than he has his entire tenure here. Babcock has always rewarded the guys who go in and play hard and practice hard. Especially when it comes to playing a veteran over a young player. Bertuzzi and Cleary have both worked and probably practiced harder than Tatar and that's why he isn't seeing the ice. And he obviously hasn't gotten the message by not playing much to start the year, so why not make a little statement in the media to get the fire lit under the guy.

I just wish the same would imply to Johan Franzen who is the laziest piece of **** on this team, but somehow puts up 30 goals a year. If the guy would quit floating half the time and dig in the corners he could be a 45 goal 75-80 point player, but ever since he got his pay day he just seems weighted down by his wallet or ego or something, but it pisses me off. And I don't think you can blame Babcock for not benching him because he is either going to score 2 goals or be invisible you just never know what player is on the ice.

But to say Babcock has lost it is completely untrue, he is, mostly, the same coach he was when he got here.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
He is coaching no differently than he has his entire tenure here. Babcock has always rewarded the guys who go in and play hard and practice hard. Especially when it comes to playing a veteran over a young player. Bertuzzi and Cleary have both worked and probably practiced harder than Tatar and that's why he isn't seeing the ice. And he obviously hasn't gotten the message by not playing much to start the year, so why not make a little statement in the media to get the fire lit under the guy.

I just wish the same would imply to Johan Franzen who is the laziest piece of **** on this team, but somehow puts up 30 goals a year. If the guy would quit floating half the time and dig in the corners he could be a 45 goal 75-80 point player, but ever since he got his pay day he just seems weighted down by his wallet or ego or something, but it pisses me off. And I don't think you can blame Babcock for not benching him because he is either going to score 2 goals or be invisible you just never know what player is on the ice.

But to say Babcock has lost it is completely untrue, he is, mostly, the same coach he was when he got here.

But then begs the question as to what level he is measuring people against their ability to compete and work hard. It used to be that the compete level was measured on the ice against opponents and their compete level. Now it seems like he is giving some people a pass because they are working, relative to their age/ability, hard...even though they are not getting the competitive results necessary.

This is where I think things are at a crossroads, for our Redwings. At what point do we have to consider that the physical attributes of a player have degraded enough that even their 110% effort is no longer able to compete against other teams' younger players who may only be competing at a 80-90% level. There also has to be some consideration for familiarity with players, and that the older players are simply more familiar at how to make themselves look good based on past history than younger players do.

Personally, I thought that time was last year and that our unwillingness to see that process through is going to have direct results on this year's success. We have already seen it even in one of our two wins and in our two losses where we are seemingly unable to stem the charge of another team that pushes their speed/effort to another level and we have already been at top level for the rest of the game, just trying to be competitive.

I just think that the reason we are inconsistent is because we are uncommitted to one specific direction, and then going with it. We live in two worlds, at this point, and Babs and Holland need to put their foot down and make a decision.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Players that are never sat no matter how bad they play.

Quincey, Mule, #71

Really disappointed about the sitting of Smith. He needs to play. He's not the reason the Wings can score at ES or the PP. If anything, he adds an offensive element to the Wings D. Has made some real nice plays just hasn't finished. Lashoff has zero offensive capability. Slow, soft and heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad