GDT: Game #5 | Philadelphia Flyers @ Detroit Red Wings | 7:00 PM EST | FS-D ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I agree with you but it's one of this idiotic things about professional sports in general. Veterans get more breaks and more job security for stupid reasons.

I can understand that they "get breaks" but IMO Franzen crossed the line the other night with just how painfully obvious he wasn't trying.

You can't put him back out there the next game after that. You have to send a message to the team that kind of play is just not acceptable from anyone. Veteran or Rookie.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I find myself hoping the Wings lose, honestly. It makes me feel dirty, but I think it's the only way this organization will make the changes it needs. Not just with Babcock either, but all over.

I'm unfortunately in the same position. It's a real shame.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
If our PP worked, that might mean something.

Yeah I was shocked that you guys haven't scored one yet. Still early in the season. Ours is broken too so you're in good company.

Two injured players (one of which was our only top six player showing any signs of life), two call-ups, likely both Newbury and Rosehill in the lineup again along with Rinaldo, tail-end of a back-to-back, Emery is probably playing, and this is the best team we've faced thus far. Just all not good things for my team.

For those that haven't followed the Flyers closely (probably all of you lol), Rosehill took probably the most selfish and brainless double minor possible two games ago. On the way to the penalty box and literally turns around and skates across ice to jump a Panther from behind. Gets a double minor and we were up by one goal at the time with no wins yet. Then yesterday's game Rinaldo literally tapped a guy in the face with his stick clearly after the whistle blew and that was when we were either down by one or tied. Forget which.

Neither of them has been benched or faced any sort of apparent or measurable repercussions. At least Rinaldo is a quality player most of the time, Rosehill just sucks.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't think anyone should be safe from benching when they turn in the kind of effort Franzen put forth the other night. That's a bit of a cop-out Heaton. If Ovechkin got benched, I think Franzen could too.

And that might have been a big reason Boudreau got fired. Owners pay a lot of money for these players, they don't want to see their investments off the ice, even if its the right thing to do. They want their coaches and management to fix it in other ways.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And that might have been a big reason Boudreau got fired. Owners pay a lot of money for these players, they don't want to see their investments off the ice, even if its the right thing to do. They want their coaches and management to fix it in other ways.

But if Franzen plays like he did the other night, it's not going to make a difference whether we win or lose.

Also if the owner is so worried about his investments, maybe he should tell his GM to stop signing so many 35 + year old players.

Like paying 5 million to Bert and Sammy last year for him to watch them play 11 games.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
But if you were an owner would you want to see him on the ice like that?

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
No team treats kids and veterans exactly the same, it's a nice idea, but that's not how professional sports work. Franzen should've been benched a few times in his career, but the thing he had going is there weren't any other real options.

But we have the options now. In the past it was just an odd occurrence but now it's almost every game. Franzen just seems disinterested & like he doesn't give a **** anymore. If he's hurt sit him Tatar can play the same role as it's not like Franzen uses his body, Tatar might even be more physical than Franzen.

If he's not hurt put Tatar in his spot and see what happens. He can't be any worse then Franzen has been.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Veterans get *some* deference. You can turn in a bad game or two and if you're a solid vet, you should expect people to give you a bit of space. Maybe you weren't feeling great, maybe you're a little sore or tired from something, whatever. I can cut you a bit of slack if you've performed excellently most of the time.

But that does not describe Franzen. Guy's been obviously lazy for a couple years now. He's got so much damn skill and has benefited from good minutes with amazing linemates so he puts up good points. But his effort level is pretty undeniable at this stage. It's not there.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Tomas Tatar also is out for the fourth time in five games.

Babcock declined to say why Tatar isn’t playing.

“He’s a good scorer and we need goals, so why isn’t he in?’’ Babcock said. “I ask myself the same question.’’
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is our head coach....

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I do agree with the decision to sit Smith. He has been our worst defenseman by far. Unfortunetely, all we have is Brian Lashoff to replace him with, which could be bad.

That Babcock quote on how we need goals, and Tatar scores goal, but isn't playing just made me vomit. Idiotic...makes 0 sense. We should trade Tatar to the Leafs for Colton Orr.

RedWingsNow*

Why are people surprised about these lines? Didn't we have a huge thread yesterday that said that these were the exact lines?

People are just reiterating their disappointment with coach Babcock's idiocy

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
But we have the options now. In the past it was just an odd occurrence but now it's almost every game. Franzen just seems disinterested & like he doesn't give a **** anymore. If he's hurt sit him Tatar can play the same role as it's not like Franzen uses his body, Tatar might even be more physical than Franzen.

If he's not hurt put Tatar in his spot and see what happens. He can't be any worse then Franzen has been.
The thing that annoys me is that Babcock isn't really willing to experiment. He knows that Tatar scored a ton of goals in the AHL last year, but it's like that doesn't matter now when it comes to needing goals at the NHL level. I think a pragmatic person would give Tatar a game in a scoring role just to see if he can carry the magic over. I think a pragmatic person does that once or twice just to see if it can work out. If it doesn't work out for those two games or so, you didn't lose much. but the potential gain is huge.

I just don't see Babcock as a pragmatic guy anymore. That's the problem when you "go with your gut": you're only limited to the stuff your instinct tells you, and that's not going to be everything. You're not going to be reasonable, objective, or analytic. You're just going to go with your old tendencies.

What Babcock needs is a wakeup call where his old tendencies cause the team to lose, and I think that's what he's getting this season.

RedWingsNow*

Nobody buys tickets to see Franzen.
Come on.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I can understand that they "get breaks" but IMO Franzen crossed the line the other night with just how painfully obvious he wasn't trying.

You can't put him back out there the next game after that. You have to send a message to the team that kind of play is just not acceptable from anyone. Veteran or Rookie.

Completely agree. Not sure how Babs can sell his message of working hard and competing to the team and not then not scratch Franzen to prove his point.

Julien had the stones to scratch Lucic late in the season last year, and Lucic is a much better player and higher profile guy than Mule. And Lucic responded with a good end of the season effort and was effective in the playoffs.

And as noted by others, Babs has scoring options ready to jump in the lineup and spark something... but he does hate young guys who aren't big in size, so that's a hindrance for Tatar.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
2-0 Flyers

Howard stops 37 of 39. Emery cruises to a 16 save shutout.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I am still completely baffled by Babcock's quote on Tatar. If you're going to call someone out, at least A) be a man about it and say why. B) have the decency, if you don't like his "fit" with your style/team makeup, to give him a shot elsewhere. Are you going to get a good return on a trade for Tatar? Doubtful, because he will want to make you pay for all the time he lost in the press box and in GR. Babs and Holland are still dangling a no-named vegetable in front of him, it seems, and it isn't having the effect they want.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Tomas Tatar also is out for the fourth time in five games.

Babcock declined to say why Tatar isn’t playing.

“He’s a good scorer and we need goals, so why isn’t he in?’’ Babcock said. “I ask myself the same question.’’
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is our head coach....

HAHAH... HA. ha... ha.........

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Looks like Smith doesn't seem to think he has done anything wrong.

Though in a way I can see that considering who he is paired up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->