GDT: GAME 5 | Pens @ Sens Jan 27 5:00PM - FATTIES EDITION | NON MINIMALIST | HATERS BEWARE

Golden

Haven't we suffered enough?
May 3, 2007
This was one of those games where neither team really deserved the extra point, heh. Take the point and on to the next one.

Not complaining about reffing, but I look forward to the day when we're the team getting the breaks. We're not drawing enough penalties as it stands.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Karlsson was / is sick. The cameraman got a shot of EK picking up a water bottle with white tape around the top and I couldn't tell 100%, but I think it said his name on it.

They do that to keep sick players from spreading it around.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
This is what I don't like with the reffing. Funny how many times the refs put away the whistles and as the tv commentators say "it's good to see the refs let the teams play". Yeah Right! Funny how it seems to happen so often after the Sens got the worse in the penalty dept for far less flagrant infractions.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Ten thoughts on the game:

1. Anderson was fantastic. Makes such timely saves for the team and keeps their confidence high. Mistakes aren't costly when he's in nets and that really helps the team with their identity and style of play.
2. Condra is a supremely gifted player at finding open spaces. Unfortunately he has nearly no finish.
3. Silfverberg is clearly adjusting to the NHL game. I think you guys need to stop being so alarmist when it comes to his development. I think that thread comparing expectations of him to Kadri is absurd.
4. Karlsson looked way out of sorts tonight. But his skill level is so supreme to those around him that even at 60-75% he was one of the best players on the ice. His anticipation and ability to see the play develop consistently is probably second to none in the NHL.
5. Methot is a solid solid defenseman. I would say this trade is a 100% win for the Senators. We took an area of strength and used it to address an area of weakness.
6. This team clearly misses Cowen. He's a monster on the back end. He also gives legitimacy to the second pairing and would allow Phillips to play a tertiary role on the third pairing. Having him back healthy is instrumental to team success.
7. Turris has been superb so far this year. Extremely impressive. That trade looks more and more lopsided by the day. Big things are coming for this guy.
8. The team clearly missed Alfredsson. They needed someone during certain stretches of the game who knows how to slow down the play and create for people around him.
9. Spezza was fantastic today. He clearly took that playoff series to heart when he was outplayed by Crosby. He has really elevated since then when we play the Penguins and he looks more and more like the natural heir to the Senators captaincy.
10. Fatigue was clearly a factor. Players looked like they were skating in mud at certain points. Playing their third game in 4 nights at an awkward start time clearly caught up to them.

Hope people take some of this stuff in to account when assessing the team's performance today.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

1. Anderson was fantastic. Makes such timely saves for the team and keeps their confidence high. Mistakes aren't costly when he's in nets and that really helps the team with their identity and style of play.
2. Condra is a supremely gifted player at finding open spaces. Unfortunately he has nearly no finish.
3. Silfverberg is clearly adjusting to the NHL game. I think you guys need to stop being so alarmist when it comes to his development. I think that thread comparing expectations of him to Kadri is absurd.
4. Karlsson looked way out of sorts tonight. But his skill level is so supreme to those around him that even at 60-75% he was one of the best players on the ice. His anticipation and ability to see the play develop consistently is probably second to none in the NHL.
5. Methot is a solid solid defenseman. I would say this trade is a 100% win for the Senators. We took an area of strength and used it to address an area of weakness.
6. This team clearly misses Cowen. He's a monster on the back end. He also gives legitimacy to the second pairing and would allow Phillips to play a tertiary role on the third pairing. Having him back healthy is instrumental to team success.
7. Turris has been superb so far this year. Extremely impressive. That trade looks more and more lopsided by the day. Big things are coming for this guy.
8. The team clearly missed Alfredsson. They needed someone during certain stretches of the game who knows how to slow down the play and create for people around him.
9. Spezza was fantastic today. He clearly took that playoff series to heart when he was outplayed by Crosby. He has really elevated since then when we play the Penguins and he looks more and more like the natural heir to the Senators captaincy.
10. Fatigue was clearly a factor. Players looked like they were skating in mud at certain points. Playing their third game in 4 nights at an awkward start time clearly caught up to them.

Hope people take some of this stuff in to account when assessing the team's performance today.

I definitely agree with you.

I do think Boro added some of that grit on the back end we were missing. I thought he was definitely worth mentioning. He blocked quite a few shocks and threw some good hits out there.

And I do think a few of the team members appear to be ill. Some looked pretty gassed by the end of the game.

*Also, that Karlsson shot that literally stopped on the line, was a bit of a bad luck kinda moment. lol.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

The key word here, kids, is clearly.

(All kidding aside, though, spot-on assessment.)

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Why is a guy who is adjusting to the nhl and north american game on the first line for the first 4 games?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Can someone explain why there are all these referees I have NEVER seen before?

Past 2 games there seems to be two different referees (not linesmen) who must be in their 20s. That skinny guy in Tampa, and this evening against Pittsburgh the ref who waved off the no-goal on the Karlsson shot that stopped on the goal line.

As for the game - sloppy from both teams, unfortunate that Michalek's attempt sucked and Anderson couldn't stop one but at least we got a point out of it.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Why is a guy who is adjusting to the nhl and north american game on the first line for the first 4 games?

He didn't look out of place, he's been adjusting in the AHL for quite a significant number of games.

I'm not sure why people are negative on him? I think he's looked pretty good outside of tonight.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He didn't look out of place, he's been adjusting in the AHL for quite a significant number of games.

I'm not sure why people are negative on him? I think he's looked pretty good outside of tonight.

I'm not being negative on him. And i thought he was better tonight. Pointbis, don't start a rookie on the top line unless it is absolutely necessary. (or his name is tarasenko)

ErikKarlsson

The Best (per IOC)
Oct 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I'm not being negative on him. And i thought he was better tonight. Pointbis, don't start a rookie on the top line unless it is absolutely necessary. (or his name is tarasenko)

He's been playing around 15 minutes a game while Spezza and Michalek have been playing 19, just saying.

costermonger

sans classe
Nov 4, 2007
Kitchener, Ont
I thought for sure Karlsson was going to end it there when he had the puck all to himself in the high slot near the end of OT. Oh well, he can't always be the hero.

Anyway, that was a good close game against a good team. Hope the flu passes quickly.

ErikKarlsson

The Best (per IOC)
Oct 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
My thoughts on this game

Anderson was awesome yet again but you wish he would have made a save in the shootout, just hope losing that extra point doesn't come back to haunt us when game #48 is over. Hard to ask for more from him when he has posted a .970svp though.

Borocop had a great game. I thought he might struggle against a team that has players like Crosby, Malkin and Neal, but Boro was physical and still had good positional play. If he keeps it up, its going to be really hard to take him out of the lineup.

I thought the pairing of Phillips and Benoit was just too slow tonight. They seemed to have a lot of trouble getting to the puck first in the corners and had problems breaking out. Might be worthwhile to send Wiercioch down to the AHL to keep playing once Lundin comes back and run Benoit as the 7th D. I don't think Wiercioch deserves to be sent down but he might lose the contract game and as much as I like him, I believe Boro has outplayed him. Its nice to have 3 physical guys on D when Boro plays too. If you would have told me before the game that Boro would have played 18 minutes and be a +1, I don't think I would have believed you but he stepped up to the plate.

Greening seemed to finally play physical tonight and ended up scoring so overall I thought he had a great night, hopefully he can keep it up. Loved him manhandling Letang behind the Pens night. On the other hand I thought Lats was absolutely terrible. He just seems fat and out of shape. Gets in position for good chances but can't bury anything. Hopefully its just a confidence thing but he's looking like a disappointment so far.

One thing I really can't believe is how bad Condra is at scoring, he really makes Stone hands Kelly look like a sniper. He has been playing so smart the past few games but always manages to ruin the play at the very last moment. Still he's proved to be very useful in a bottom 6 role and I think if he keeps playing this way, then he might have a good future with the team. Before the season started I figured he wouldn't be around too much longer with all the other prospects coming up over the next few seasons.

Another player that just continues to impress is Kyle Turris, he's just so much stronger on the puck and always creating chances, I think he might get around 35 points this season while still being a great 2-way player, playing PK and PP. Starting to really love the guy and he's still young enough to keep on improving.

Overall I would say it was a good effort by the team but they just didn't get into the dirty areas around the front of the net enough, a few bounces didn't go the right way and that hurt too. Karlsson's shot on the goal line was just brutal, inches away from being in the net and then the ref blew the whistle while he could see the puck too, would have been an interesting mad scramble if the whistle wasn't blown.

But really there shouldn't be much to complain about. 3-1-1 start to the season is very stellar. Top 5 in the east in P% is great and the team is 2nd in the league in even strength play. PP and PK are both top 10 in the league, so if the team can take less penalties and draw more then that would be a big help because I think the current ratio is unsustainable as shown here:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.ht...usPenaltyKillSeconds&viewName=penaltyKillTime

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think it's fair to rag on Condra. Sure he doesn't score but he's a major positive in terms of our position on the ice. He gains the zone and holds it consistently and effectively. Really underrated, exactly like Kelly.

ErikKarlsson

The Best (per IOC)
Oct 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I don't think it's fair to rag on Condra. Sure he doesn't score but he's a major positive in terms of our position on the ice. He gains the zone and holds it consistently and effectively. Really underrated, exactly like Kelly.

He does a huge amount more good then bad but if he could finish he could just be so much more, thats what I find frustrating about him.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I really liked Borowiecki's game tonight. I have also really liked Methot so far. Both these guys seem to be good in their own zone and pretty tough as well. It will be great when we get Cowen back, but I guess that's not until next season. I like having some big tough guys back there to go along with Karlsson. It would be nice to get at least one more offensive minded dman though. Especially after this season when Gonchar leaves.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If Condra was just a bit more skilled and had even slightly more finish he would be an elite 3rd liner.

Also, we lost because we didn't post enough fat karma. Shame on you people who didn't post fatties.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I'm flabbergasted to see Vancouver, Winnipeg and Toronto in the top-5 of that stat!!!

:sarcasm:

Yep, difference is that Kelly is a 15 goals/35-40 pts guy while Condra is a 10 goals/25-30 pts guy... Kelly is a bit better offensively but those are all over the ice all the time.

Condra won't ever score 25 goals? Doesn't matter, he is a defensive player and he keeps other teams busy defending against him.

I really liked Borowiecki's game tonight. I have also really liked Methot so far. Both these guys seem to be good in their own zone and pretty tough as well. It will be great when we get Cowen back, but I guess that's not until next season. I like having some big tough guys back there to go along with Karlsson. It would be nice to get at least one more offensive minded dman though. Especially after this season when Gonchar leaves.

Methot-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Gonchar
Phillips-Borowiecki/Lundin/Benoit

Next year :

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Wiercioch
Phillips-Borowiecki/Gryba

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Anderson played well tonight, can't wait till the NHL gets through their whole fascination with the shootout and everyone can go back to watching OT hockey which is far more exciting.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union

Pens fan here. Good game, guys. It was pretty even in all aspects of game. You definitely deserved that one point, if not more. Both goalies were tremendous. Someone just had to win.

Btw, that stat is interesting, I am also curious about that reffing. Seems like Ottawa is down in this category everytime. I will admit, this was the first game this season where refs helped the Pens at least bit. Other than that, they were quite hard on us as well. Toronto is on Top every single time, I hate it.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
What sticks out to me is that of our opponents, only Winnipeg has a + number in that stat. So, our opponents (aside from possibly the Jets) don't seem to have a style of play that naturally creates many PP's or limits PK's against. If this were just one week into the season I'd just let it slide, but this isn't the first time we've seen these type of numbers. We were 4th last last year in this same stat. It was bul**** then, as its ******** now...

Edit: we were second last in that stat in 2010-11. So in the past two + seasons, we've been right at the bottom of that stat.
2012-13 - 29th (-17:26 after 5 games... insane that we are 3-1-1)
2011-12 - 27th (-71:39)
2010-11 - 29th (-74:00)

Its a crock.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
My thoughts on this game

PP and PK are both top 10 in the league, so if the team can take less penalties and draw more then that would be a big help because I think the current ratio is unsustainable as shown here:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.ht...usPenaltyKillSeconds&viewName=penaltyKillTime

You have to go back to 2006/07 for us to finish in the positive, and most of those years were in the bottom 5. Put on your tinfoil hats people, it's a bonafide conspiracy a brewing!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->