GDT: GAME 5 | Pens @ Sens Jan 27 5:00PM - FATTIES EDITION | NON MINIMALIST | HATERS BEWARE

nemesis

Feb 28, 2007
L
O
T
T
E
R
Y.

They won a lottery and got the best player in the world.

All of this on top of having Malking, Jagr in his prime, Mario in his prime. Ron Francis.

They. Are. Lucky.

You do know they were the worst team in the league before the lockout and lottery draft right? The worst team in the league before the lottery won the draft and you are complaining? Would you have rather had the defending stanley cup champions win the lottery?

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
L
O
T
T
E
R
Y.

They won a lottery and got the best player in the world.

All of this on top of having Malking, Jagr in his prime, Mario in his prime. Ron Francis.

They. Are. Lucky.

Didn't we get three number one picks in a row?
Woops?

Don't blame Pittsburgh for exploiting rules that are known to everyone.
As the Oilers are demonstrating, a bunch of high picks means very little without a good team build.

They will beat Washington.

take a peek

Mar 4, 2007
I think we lost because some of our key players didn't show, or play a full 60 min game. Spezza, Karlsson and Anderson did not have their best performances tonight.

Really? high expectations I guess.

Maybe not their "best" all time but c'mon its early in a late start season and I think they look pretty good out there.

Obviously Karlsson could of finshed off a little better maybe not get unlucky with bounces for some unfortunate turnovers. But look at what he creates out there. He cannot finish every opportunity, most players would not even get or create those opportunities.

Same with Spezza.

And anderson played very well again, despite the shoot out loss.

I once again thought they looked good over all. Sloppy but creating and trying. They outplayed the Penguins in my eyes. Also once again the refs called it pretty unbalanced.

I think they held up well to a strong Pittsburgh team.

I do not think this team is one of the best in league...right now..... but they are on their way and the climb is fun to watch.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Karlsson is definitely fighting the flu. I've never seen him that gassed in a game before. It wasn't just him either. Michalek and Smith both looked to be under the weather as well.

Overall though, great game defensively and Anderson did his job again. Good rebound game from Gonchar and Phillips. Boro played almost 19 minutes which is great to see. Perhaps he'll give coach enough confidence to split up the veteran 2nd pair.

Spezza played his best game thus far imo. He outplayed Malkin and Crosby and could have won the game single handedly.

Silfverberg looks great but he definitely lacks the explosive skating to become a real star.

Condra played another quality game. Got a ton of ice time tonight and made the most of it.

Although I really don't like his game, keep Greening on Spezza's line. Get Alfie up there with them when he returns. Best part of Greening playing with Spezza is that he never has to handle the puck :laugh: Michalek could bring a lot to the Neil-Smith Combo imo. I'd like to see him try and play a crash and bang game instead of a finesse game. Silf and Turris look great together.

Even though I'll sound like a butthurt homer, I'm gonna say it anyways: same old story with the Pens. They get away with so much and get phantom calls at will. The officiating was very one sided. Ho hum.

Berserker*

The Penguins are a really dirty team, they had a lot of dirty hits this game. It would be nice to have another few hard hitting forwards up front that could dish out out a bit of punishment.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
As I called, this is a new Sens team we are seeing, system and all. One of the worst games I've seen Smith play in a while. Turris was everywhere, we just got unfortunate at the end. Refs called an absolutely horrific game. Disgusting. They were given PP's on legitimate hockey plays and they got really dirty after Pens couldn't by-pass the Sens defensive system and were becoming frustrated.

Overall, a great game by the boys, Karlsson is amazing and should have scored that last goal but it jumped in the final second and he didn't get it where he wanted.

We DEFINITELY had wayyyy more better scoring chances. We have to start capitalizing on them. Put Michalek with Turris for the love of God.

General Granny*

JOB and Regain need to get their **** quickly or Ott should start looking at Bingo, DaCosta and Hoffman could easily replace their minutes and provide better offence. Condra is carrying that line and he needs someone that could finish plays on that line.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Michalek's talents would be really wasted with those 2. Don't get me wrong, they are great players but Michalek is a top 6er and has to play with top 6ers for his best to come out.

Michalek is the type of player who doesn't necessarily improve people around him, so you're completely right. It's about who can improve him, not vice-versa.

R2010

May 23, 2011
I think we lost because some of our key players didn't show, or play a full 60 min game. Spezza, Karlsson and Anderson did not have their best performances tonight.

Spezza was fantastic tonight, a couple mistakes but overall he was amongst the top 3 players on the ice all night long. Anderson was really good as well, solid but in a shootout with a 40 goal scorer and two 50 goal scorers its hard to predict what they will do. Realistically Crosby's goal was the one he shoulda had as Crosby gave away what he was going to do a little early - should've forced him.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Spezza was fantastic tonight, a couple mistakes but overall he was amongst the top 3 players on the ice all night long. Anderson was really good as well, solid but in a shootout with a 40 goal scorer and two 50 goal scorers its hard to predict what they will do. Realistically Crosby's goal was the one he shoulda had as Crosby gave away what he was going to do a little early - should've forced him.

Agreed. I'll say it again, Spezza outplayed both Malkin and Crosby. I wouldn't be surprised if he created more scoring chances than those two combined.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I ain't even mad. I thought we played a good game against a good team. We got more from our top two lines. Methot is quickly joining the list of players that I know will never make me yell at my TV (that list is short: Alfie, Neil). Keeping Boro for this game was a good idea, given how dirty the Pens play.

My top 3 Sens today:

1- Methot
2- Anderson
3- ??? maybe a big tie involving some of our top 6: Spezza/Michalek/Silf/Turris or maybe Condra?

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Was at the game, never knew that Pittsburgh was allowed seven players on the ice...

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Yeah, the team definitely played well.

Now that I'm no longer upset at losing (I just hate losing in general), I feel like the Sens played well.

BUT:
- Need to have sharper passing
- Need to have a bit better speed
- Karlsson doesn't look QUITE as good as he could be... but maybe that flu bug is going around.

That said, on the whole this year we've played well. 7 points out of 10, and we've looked good every game but one. And Anderson has been incredible! And also, our PK has been pretty damn good too. I feel like we are lacking a touch offensively, as compared to last year (just don't feel there is AS much finish as last year). But I feel like considering our injuries on D, we've really played well.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Condra is such a tease. You see a sens player with a perfect opportunity to score then you realize its him and your hopes are crushed. Such an intelligent player - if only he was goal scorer.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I ain't even mad. I thought we played a good game against a good team. We got more from our top two lines. Methot is quickly joining the list of players that I know will never make me yell at my TV (that list is short: Alfie, Neil). Keeping Boro for this game was a good idea, given how dirty the Pens play.

My top 3 Sens today:

1- Methot
2- Anderson
3- ??? maybe a big tie involving some of our top 6: Spezza/Michalek/Silf/Turris or maybe Condra?

What about Greening?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Karlsson is definitely fighting the flu. I've never seen him that gassed in a game before. It wasn't just him either. Michalek and Smith both looked to be under the weather as well.

Yeah, a bunch of guys looked to be in bad shape out there. Sucks when a bunch of guys on your team get hit by sickness -- especially in a compact season like this one.

Overall though, great game defensively and Anderson did his job again. Good rebound game from Gonchar and Phillips. Boro played almost 19 minutes which is great to see. Perhaps he'll give coach enough confidence to split up the veteran 2nd pair.

I noticed that Boro played really well and it probably helped playing with Gonchar. I like his game a lot and the team played well overall.

Spezza played his best game thus far imo. He outplayed Malkin and Crosby and could have won the game single handedly.

Definitely...he seems to elevate his game a lot against other really talented players. I wish he was 'on' all the time...but yeah Spezza is definitely a top tier talent in this league. I still think we should have won that game and the refs were constantly trying to take our momentum away but meh...we had our chances.

Silfverberg looks great but he definitely lacks the explosive skating to become a real star.

Starting to also think this. Maybe he's still hesitant and lacking the confidence that he had in the SEL, but the IQ and tools are there (minus the skating) to be a high quality winger but I'm questioning whether or not he can actually become an all-star.

Condra played another quality game. Got a ton of ice time tonight and made the most of it.

Although I really don't like his game, keep Greening on Spezza's line. Get Alfie up there with them when he returns. Best part of Greening playing with Spezza is that he never has to handle the puck :laugh: Michalek could bring a lot to the Neil-Smith Combo imo. I'd like to see him try and play a crash and bang game instead of a finesse game. Silf and Turris look great together.

Yeah I like Greening with Spezza -- I don't know what it is about his game that changes when he's on the ice with Spez but he elevates his play and makes a ton of space for Spezza and really drives the net.

Greening - Spezza - Michalek (or switch the wingers around) is a keeper line for sure.

I'm also starting to really enjoy watching Turris play. He looks like he is making the players around him better and his hockey sense is really turned on. Silfverberg looked great with him much in the way that Alfredsson has...I know everyone would like to give credit to Alfie for that but man Turris looks like he is carrying that line right now.

Even though I'll sound like a butthurt homer, I'm gonna say it anyways: same old story with the Pens. They get away with so much and get phantom calls at will. The officiating was very one sided. Ho hum.

Bleh...I wonder if the Sens are as sick of having to play against the refs and the other team as I am of watching it happen.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Condra is such a tease. You see a sens player with a perfect opportunity to score then you realize its him and your hopes are crushed. Such an intelligent player - if only he was goal scorer.

Totally agreed. He's always in a position to score, but then fails. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->